TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Red Baron

Bad Games That You Love

But you lose health every time you use an "A" button special attack, such as Axel's spinning flaming punch. The flaming uppercut, on the other hand, can be used over and over without losing health, and is pretty damn effective.

The flaming uppercut was the punch I meant. Took off massive amounts of damage, could be used over and over. I just remembered the animation of his special because it looked badass. It's been years since I played the game.

I didn't say Streets of Rage was a bad game...I commented that I played it on the Game Gear and noted some of the flaws of that system.

It's amusing that everyone is referring to Final Fight as some revolutionary, original game...hell it's derivative as crap in its own right.

Final Fight 3 was the best out of all of them, hands down.... Mike Haggar's multi-hit running lariat ruled.

Another game that pulled me to the SNES was Super Tennis. Back in 90-91 when I used to work at a little video game kiosk in the mall, myself and my co-workers used to have WARS over that game.... I always took Phil (the Michael Chang clone) and run down every shot. Once I learned how to serve properly I was unbeatable.

I didn't say Streets of Rage was a bad game...I commented that I played it on the Game Gear and noted some of the flaws of that system.

It's amusing that everyone is referring to Final Fight as some revolutionary, original game...hell it's derivative as crap in its own right.

Nobody is referring to Final Fight as that. However, it offered simplicity and style in spades in a well-polished title.

Final Fight 3 was the best out of all of them, hands down.... Mike Haggar's multi-hit running lariat ruled.

I had owned Final Fight 3 for a while. It was fun, but it isn't quite = to the demand for it. You're got some better graphics, but at the cost of fewer enemies on the screen, and "super moves" that honestly don't enhance play that much. However, the bad reviews for it were somewhat unwarranted.

Fight Fight 2 was basically a weak "um, sorry we screwed up the SNES Final Fight so badly. Twice. Gnaw on this."

Going with beat-em-ups, Alien v Predator and the second D&D capcom beat-em-ups along with battle circuit, are incredible. I have it on good authority (i.e. everyone who's ever played it) that Guardian heroes is the best of all time, though.

I liked Revolution X.  Yep, that game where you help out Aerosmith beat the terrorists.  Looking back on it now, I feel dirty for liking it.

One of the worst gun games ever, by far.

There were about 2 or 3 different types of enemies, and if you blasted an enemy through the nards they'd no-sell it.

Your weapon was a gun that launched CDs with lethal force. There's a joke there that's way too obvious to bother making.

I owned the Playstation version for a while, actually.

In Madden '94, where you had players known only by their jersey numbers and corresponding attributes, still ended up being a disappointment because they actually switched the rosters of the Jets and Giants. Example: Jets' quarterback: # 11 (Simms); Giants QB # 7 (Boomer). Annoying as hell if you were a fan of one of those teams, and I hope the scouting reporter got an earful.

Unacceptable error.

One of the worst Sonic platformers by far, but that I actually enjoyed playing--Knuckles Chaotix.

It was one of the only platformers for the 32X--it, Tempo, and an "upgraded" Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure are about the only ones that come to mind. It was really hard to track down a copy--my mother had to run me all over the greater Pittsburgh area until we found a Toys R Us that had one in stock. The game itself is gorgeous, pixelation aside, with lavishly-detailed levels, all of them HUGE, colors that put the SNES to shame. The music was great--less traditional Sonic and more catchy, tropical-sounding fare. The gameplay was innovative--each character had a handful of fairly unique special moves, and using the Combi-rings to slingshot around levels felt very intuitive. The 3D special stages looked and felt amazing.

However...the execution and final product was extremely lacking. The game was riddled with design flaws. Enemy placement was extremely sparse. Use of the combi-rings seemed forced in many cases. For example, the spin-dash capabilities of Knuckles, Espio, etc. were far weaker than they were in the true Sonic games, so they made you use the abilities even when you normally wouldn't need to. You'd often be stuck with a character above a platform and one below, leaving them often vulnerable to attack. You'd often be sailing through the air, both characters swinging around in the air to-and-fro with little control. Very little new was done to take advantage of the play mechanics. There were fewer secrets and hidden areas than in either Sonic 3 or S&K. After playing those games, Chaotix on the overall seemed like a total joke.

Worst of all, it seemed like most of the time your partner was more a hindrance than a help, and you'd be better off most of the time to just pick up and hold your partner in your arms, and run through the level until you reached the goal. So everything distinctive about the gameplay was frustrating, and ultimately, little of it was necessary to beat it.

But yeah, I had fun with it for a while, despite all that. Why they decided to make Sonic Heroes afterwards I have no idea.

In 1989 Final Fight was impressive and the game is still fun, it should not be considered a bad game.

Final Fight 2 is good but has boring stage and boss design. The super moves and brancing paths in 3 are good but the design is even worse than 2. 2 and 3 just don't have the charm and soul of the original. The only thing that sucks about 1 is Cody. He is so lame. He should have been replaced with someone else, like a girl character.

The Punisher & Alien vs. Predator are great. I'd have both arcade versions already if they weren't so hard to find and expensive.

you got that glitch in season mode, correct?  I noticed that shit too...it happened about 4 or 5 times...I'd play a game, go back to the calender at it shows the game has yet to be played, so i'd hit sim and it still wouldn't go through...so i'll click over to the next game and hit "simulate up to" and it would FINALLY go through...it really screwed me up because I had a pitcher going undefeated (Kris Benson) and I had to keep reloading and skipping until it gave him the win...I was already 17-0 with this guy when it first happened, no way was I letting it get fucked up because of a stupid glitch...

Actually after the game ended, I saved my profile and checked the box score (before exiting to save season) and when I went to check the expanded box score the game froze (the second time that happened to me) and I had to reset. Im so pissed I haven't played the game in over a week and Im falling behind the real life current mlb schedule.

Major League Baseball featuring Ken Griffey Jr. for N64

I didn't think that was a bad game at all, and it didn't get bad reviews. I enjoyed the gameplay and got a kick out of how the announcer would say common names (I.E. Matt Young), a novelty at the time.

Lushus mentioned the Power Rangers game. I loved both the original side scroller and the game based on the movie. I really need to download those, especially the movie game, since I never got further in that one than that blue boss with horns.

I also remember liking Revolution X, but that may have been solely due to the fact that it was one of the first 32 bit games I ever played (talking about the saturn version here, a system which I sadly never owned).

there was a beat em up where you would pick up a pig and it would turn into a football and you could throw it at your enemies... and I can NOT remember the name of that game for the life of me....

Final Fight 1 was and still is one of the best of the genre... I remember playing Guardian Heroes a few times and I loved it...

Renegade required technique, which was cool.

Aliens vs. Predator was awesome, and Shadow over Mystara was almost revolutionary, even though it was way too damned hard.

there was a beat em up where you would pick up a pig and it would turn into a football and you could throw it at your enemies... and I can NOT remember the name of that game for the life of me....

Violence Storm.

you got that glitch in season mode, correct?  I noticed that shit too...it happened about 4 or 5 times...I'd play a game, go back to the calender at it shows the game has yet to be played, so i'd hit sim and it still wouldn't go through...so i'll click over to the next game and hit "simulate up to" and it would FINALLY go through...it really screwed me up because I had a pitcher going undefeated (Kris Benson) and I had to keep reloading and skipping until it gave him the win...I was already 17-0 with this guy when it first happened, no way was I letting it get fucked up because of a stupid glitch...

When I played, I got the glitch but I kept playing, and they decided to compile stats, so when the glitch hit me (in the first game of the season, no less), my pitcher went like 12-0 before the schedule allowed me to progress to the next game. While it was nice to have a 12 games' worth of wins and strikeouts headstart over everyone, needless to say that game went right back to the store.

Violence Storm.

Thank you. turns out I had the ROM for it.

I like MK1 for the SNES. I never thought it was censored because I really didn't play the arcade version. There was another game oh... I like WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game, WWF Warzone, and WWF Attitude. The arcade game was actually what started to get me into watching wrestling.

I liked WWF In Your House. That was one of the main reasons I bought a PS1 the first time.

The second time I bought the system (after selling the first one) was for WCW Thunder. I hadn't played it before I bought it, though... I was just lured into it by the NWO/Raven's Flock/WCW/Wolfpac allegiance changing abilities and the FMV. I actually enjoyed the game for a couple weeks despite the fact that one could drain his opponent's entire energy meter with a mere collar and elbow tie-up.

I think I "win" (in this case, lose) the thread.

I bought my PSX because of WCW Nitro. I thought it was better than WCW/nWo World Tour. I played it for a week and I still play it occasionally.

I did the same for ECW Anarchy Rules.

I like WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game, WWF Warzone, and WWF Attitude

I likedthe second and third titles at the time. They're unplayable now.

Was Wrestlemania the Arcade the silly one where you could be UT and hit people with actual Tombstones and what have you?

Yeah, I liked it too, if we're on the same page.

I bought my PSX because of WCW Nitro. I thought it was better than WCW/nWo World Tour. I played it for a week and I still play it occasionally.

I did the same for ECW Anarchy Rules.

I like WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game, WWF Warzone, and WWF Attitude

I likedthe second and third titles at the time. They're unplayable now.

Was Wrestlemania the Arcade the silly one where you could be UT and hit people with actual Tombstones and what have you?

Yeah, I liked it too, if we're on the same page.

Yeah the Undertaker could hit you with tombstones, bats, and ghosts. Actiually, Razor Ramon was my favorite character but by the time I started watching, he was in WCW and the fake one made his debut a couple weeks later. I had to convince my dad that "Razor Ramon" and Scott Hall were two different people.

I love Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game, and I still pull it out when friends are over. I bought my PSX primarily to play the "best" version, although it clearly is a massive downgrade visually, and is missing things from the arcade version. For example, the music, some of the bonus flags they'd award you, and some voice samples.

The game was in production so long, by the time it came out, Bam Bam, and Doink were all gone, I believe (perhaps more). There was a rumor about Adam Bomb in the arcade version, but it's gotta be a hoax since nobody has ever even posted a screenshot.

The sequel, In Your House, was developed in-house by Acclaim--so of course it sucked.

Yoko was unquestionably the best character in WM: TAG--insanely overpowered. IYH I think Vader would also take the crown, but Hunter and Goldust were both pretty damn tough.

While inferior in almost every way, IYH did have a few things over WM: TAG--4-player matches, Warrior's insane rambling (and it was the last WWF/E game with him in it), more "realistic" moves for most of wrestlers' movesets, the awful "super pins," a hilariously awful opening movie with a cheesy rock song, and "endings" that were little more than the wrestlers' intro videos, but for the time were cool.

^ You should add that IYH also added some flavor with homefield arenas. I'm trying to remember all of them:

Undertaker: Crypt

Owen Hart: House of Cards

HHH: Mansion

Vader: Outside of a Mine Shaft

Ultimate Warrior: Arizona Desert

Ahmed Johnson: Gym

Goldust: Movie Theater

Shawn Michaels: Heartbreak Hotel

British Bulldog: London Skyline

Bret Hart: I don't remember.

I forget everyone else in the game.

I liked how in WWF Warzone, you could tell that Davey Boy Smith was obviously reading off cue cards in his promo video.

That's about all I remember aside from the greatness that was running then falling flat on your face trying to do a running grapple. And to make sure we are on the same page here, yes, by "greatness" I do in fact mean "controller-breaking frustration".

Yeah, but almost all of the superstar-themed arenas sucked.

Bret's was allegedly the Dungeon, but it looked more like a tiny arena, with paneling on the walls, weight-benches, and an actual ring. So not really.

I think just those ten wrestlers were in the game, but there was also an "In Your House" arena, which was one of the best, even if it was still ugly as hell compared to WM: TAG's one arena.

The other arenas mostly had a few badly-digitized people standing around. The IYH one had a full crowd actually cheering and reacting to moves. Wrestling games with no crowd reaction really feel lacking.

WM: The Arcade is great. I've owned all the home versions over the years.

Adam Bomb is like the Ermac of WWF games.

When I got the SNES version, I was amazed that Bam Bam and Yokozuna were cut out of the game, making it feel very redundant, and yet somehow Genesis kept 'em all in.