TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

Jeremy Roenick = Ass?

Yeah, and IMO...they are a bunch of rich spoiled babies getting paid to play a game

As a longtime NHL fan...I was extremely ticked off with the lockout and all. No...it wasn't all the players fault...the owners are every bit as greedy as the players are. But you would think that they would come to the realization they were losing the casual fan and starting to lose some of the hardcore base. (What baseball doesn't tell you is they lost quite a few hardcore fans to the '94 strike and have yet to come back if ever.) They had plenty of time to get a deal done and pissed all that time away. I was, however...willing to give it another chance since I love the sport.

That's true to a point. I ultimately support the owners, but they're not innocent of blame.

As for the comment that players are spoiled babies who play a game, that's got some merit it to it, but come on.

I'd still love to he in their shoes, but they don't exactly show up to the arena 45 minutes before the game, get dressed and skate for 2 hours and go home. How many hours a week do you think they put in during the regular season with games, practise, training, pr stuff and travel? Probably 80, 90 hours a week?

As a longtime NHL fan...I was extremely ticked off with the lockout and all.  No...it wasn't all the players fault...the owners are every bit as greedy as the players are.  But you would think that they would come to the realization they were losing the casual fan and starting to lose some of the hardcore base.  (What baseball doesn't tell you is they lost quite a few hardcore fans to the '94 strike and have yet to come back if ever.)  They had plenty of time to get a deal done and pissed all that time away.  I was, however...willing to give it another chance since I love the sport.

After Roenick's comments, I'm done with the NHL for good.  Regardless of context, etc...telling fans who felt the players were greedy to kiss his ass was a slap in the face to all fans everywhere.  First of all, Roenick...that's Vince McMahon's line.  Second of all, the players (and owners) were greedy enough to throw away an entire year.  So in the process you hurt not only the fans but the folks who made their living selling tickets, food, concessions, etc.  You don't think they have a right to be upset?  This could have been prevented...both sides are to blame for that and I hold both sides equally responsible. 

As for ESPN...ESPN was at least still trying to put hockey on and give it to the fans.  Otherwise, the only US outlet would have been NBC (which in the last few years has given way to non-sports like Arena Football, Neckcar, golf, and tennis).  Maybe Roenick's comment was wrong...but it was said and even if you add another line or two of video to it you can't hide the fact that he told the fans to kiss his ass.  Can't put any type of spin on that to make it sound any better.  It's still BS no matter how you slice it.

Also, Roenick...I don't know if I'm in the minority here with this but here goes...This is not just dangerous to the NHL and its future.  This lockout could potentially be fatal.  The league is in huge trouble right now with struggling teams financially, especially the Canadian teams that have a hard time competing with the dollar exchange.  If the NHL doesn't right the ship and fast, you'll be soon going the way of the XFL, the ABA, and the USFL...we'll be talking about a league that used to exist! 

Well...Roenick...it doesn't matter to you.  So be it...I'll keep my ass at home...and not buying your merchandise, pimping the NHL website or watching on TV.  You're upset, you're entitled to that.  But you're dead wrong.  I'll put my dollars towards our junior league teams, high school hockey, and the minor league team starting this October.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but just because you don't like them doesn't mean that ALF(like the WWF, I continue to call it Arena League Football), golf, and tennis aren't sports. I don't call drivers athletes. But that's another argument for another time

Man, am I the only person who isn't SHOCKED AND OFFENDED AS A FAN with all this? Jeremy Roenick got pissed off and ran his mouth. Stop the f'n presses. Maybe if it was, you know, anyone who doesn't have a history of being a loudmouthed ass, and wasn't taken out of context by ESPN, I'd be upset.

I'm biased as a Flyers fan, but I'm not offeneded by JR at all and I love seeing him to contiunue to be a guy who speaks with passion.

Ever sense Bettman took over the NHL, the NHL has been trying to acheive mainstream appeal at the expense of it's traditional fan base. The expansion into such hockey hotbeds as Anahiem, Flordia, and Phoniex ect had diluted the talent. Trying to sisify the game with the instigator rule to appeal to soocer mom type families just led to cheap shots behind the play.

Now their just going to come back with stupid gimicks like bigger goals and shootouts. The NHL needs to stop trying to appeal to the 90% of US sports fans who just dump on the sport and return to satisfying it's hardcore base. Those 90% of fans can kiss my ass. If you don't like hockey, don't comment in a thread about hockey. And I'm sick of sports reporters who only mention hockey to trash it ratings.

Once again, the media takes 20 seconds of a 15-minute interview, spin-doctors it into something sensational, and spews it out the other end to shock the world.

Bullshit. Roenick said nothing wrong.

So yeah about hockey...The NBA is going to have a season next year but the NHL is still up in the air.

JR is fustrated. I don't really care about the Flyers but if a Ducks or a Kings player said that I would have a hard time coming back. Of course, if I stop watching then everyone will be like "purge LA, Anaheim, Phoenix, Dallas, and Columbus."

Yeah there are a lot of teams. So does baseball and basketball and I don't hear people say contraction every five seconds.

UH the NHL season isnt up in the air, they're practically writing the agreement at these meetings and expect an announcement with in 2-3 weeks. There will be hockey in October. Plus, coaches wouldnt be hired and fired if there was any doubt about hockey coming back in the fall.

Guest Rrrsh

JR said what a lot of Canadians think...sort of.

He wants all the negative bitches to just leave. If your a hockey fan, we will do what ever we can to make this better. But of your gonna be a bitch about it, go fuck off.

A lot Canadians feel this way to fickle American fans who dont know shit ( not all American fans, just teh fickle ones).

He wants all the negative bitches to just leave. If your a hockey fan, we will do what ever we can to make this better. But of your gonna be a bitch about it, go fuck off.

A lot Canadians feel this way to fickle American fans who dont know shit ( not all American fans, just teh fickle ones).

No. I don't think you understand what the problem people are having with the NHL right now is. We are not bitching about THE ON ICE GAME. We are bitching about spoiled brat players and greedy as fuck owners who can't agree on shit, thus taking away a game that we greatly enjoy watching. Then, one of said spoiled brat players said that if we don't like it, we can just stay home. Well fine, I hope he gets his wish. 1/2 empty arenas all over next season.

Yeah there are a lot of teams. So does baseball and basketball and I don't hear people say contraction every five seconds.

Besides Rant's perfect response, let me also add that neither of those leagues added teams so fucking quickly. It was less than 40 years ago that they only had 6 teams. I remember when there were only 21 teams. So regardless of the fact that they're the one sport losing money hand over fist, they expanded WAY too quickly (and relocated WAY too poorly)

Once again, the media takes 20 seconds of a 15-minute interview, spin-doctors it into something sensational, and spews it out the other end to shock the world.

What do you expect? We live in a world where the media focuses more on the negative than the positive.

Bullshit. Roenick said nothing wrong.

I'll agree in part. The last part of his interview was stupid, impulsive and potentially hurt the game, but it wasn't wrong to say it.

The Canadian Press is reporting that a tentative deal will be announced within days.

Take it for what it's worth, but I'm optimistic.

The Canadian Press is reporting that a tentative deal will be announced within days.

Take it for what it's worth, but I'm optimistic.

So says three weeks ago.

Right now they have their thumbs in each other asses and throwing poo at each other waiting for something to be done.

If they really cared, they'd be done by now.

Dogbert the Lightning President was on local radio about a week ago and basically said they have an agreement its just there is a MASSIVE amount of paperwork they have to do to write it up. That's what these meetings the past few weeks have been for. The agreement itself was reached about a month ago.

Did the NBA complete all that stuff and then annouce it to the public?

Wouldn't the NHL be better off officially announcing that a deal has been made so season ticket holders, advertizers, and most importantly the fans know a deal is done.

Guest Rrrsh

No. I don't think you understand what the problem people are having with the NHL right now is. We are not bitching about THE ON ICE GAME. We are bitching about spoiled brat players and greedy as fuck owners who can't agree on shit, thus taking away a game that we greatly enjoy watching. Then, one of said spoiled brat players said that if we don't like it, we can just stay home. Well fine, I hope he gets his wish. 1/2 empty arenas all over next season.

Listen to the full quote, allright. If you are going to BLINDLY blame the players, then go away.

You are not blaming the players fully, but your blindly cracking on JR.

Guest Rrrsh

Wouldn't the NHL be better off officially announcing that a deal has been made so season ticket holders, advertizers, and most importantly the fans know a deal is done.

Yup. But the NHL is run by a bunch of fucking morons.

Yup. But the NHL is run by a bunch of fucking morons.

Sorry, I don't wanted to make this one of those useless one word replies but QUOTED FOR TRUTH.

Based on what's being leaked through the grapevine there probably should've been an announcement I agree but it should be noted that a lot of teams are offering season ticket packages now.