TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

Jeremy Roenick = Ass?

Roenick to hockey fans: Think we're greedy? Don't come to games

June 27, 2005

PRESTO, Pa. (AP) -- Philadelphia Flyers center Jeremy Roenick has some advice for hockey fans who blame the NHL lockout on players' greed: Once it's finally settled, stay home.

``We're going to try to make it better for everybody, period, end of subject. And if you don't realize that, then don't come,'' said Roenick, who spoke at a charity golf event he played in over the weekend.

``We don't want you at the rink, we don't want you in the stadium, we don't want you to watch hockey,'' he said Saturday at the Mario Lemieux Celebrity Invitational in suburban Pittsburgh.

The NHL and the players' association have been in almost daily negotiations to get a new collective bargaining agreement after the lockout that canceled the 2004-05 season.

``I say personally, to everybody who called us 'spoiled,' you guys are just jealous ... we have tried so, so hard to get this game back on the ice,'' Roenick said.

Like New York Rangers right wing Jaromir Jagr, who came out last week and admitted that the union's gamble didn't pay off, Roenick said he doesn't think the players can get a good deal at this point.

``I know we are going to give up probably more than any union has ever given up in the history of (professional) sports and, to me, I think that's enough to bring the fans back -- to know what their players are going to give up as much as they have in the last year,'' Roenick said. ``If people are going to chastise professional athletes who are making a lot of money they need to look at the deal we are probably going to end up signing in the next three weeks.''

Wow... just.. wow.

You have got to be kidding me. HE TOLD FANS NOT TO PAY TO SEE HIM PLAY A SPORT. So when even more arenas are 1/2 full when/if they get back on the ice who are they going to blame? Wait I know, it's America's fault for not understanding hockey right? Uh-huh, sure it is.

The funny thing is, that was the last 20 seconds of a two-minute interview. JR made some really good points, as he usually does, then shot himself and his sport in the foot with the last bit, which he had to know would be the only thing reported by a bastion of journalistic integrity such as ESPN.

It's almost like ESPN is trying to single-handedly kill hockey south of the 49th with slanted reporting like this.

While I agree with you, Chris, Roenick saying anything along the lines of the "kiss my ass" comment is absolutely inexcusable. It's one thing to be passionate about your stance on something, but to throw the FANS of all people under the bus for this is completely wrong. He made good points earlier in the interview (something Dan Patrick brought up on his show today), but the news was that he basically told fans who thought that the players were spoiled to kiss his ass and never watch a hockey game again. What he doesn't realize is that NOBODY WAS WATCHING BEFORE THE LOCKOUT!! What kind of negative effect is it going to have on the remaining fans who were going to tune in to give the NHL support? A pretty lasting negative effect.

I'll give you that ESPN is probably thrilled to be writing about the demise of the NHL, but Roenick's comments, while they may have been taken out of context as he claims, are completely off-base and may have just killed whatever lasting hope that the NHL could survive with the apathy that they have coming at them from the general public. Roenick's interview was good, since he's candid and willing to talk, but he took a step forward and about thirty steps back with that comment in the interview.

I guess he didn't noticed that nobody did watch before they walked out and that's why ESPN dropped them. I remember reading that the XFL had a higher rating than the NHL playoffs. Oh well, our minor league team is more fun and affordable to watch than the Blackhawks.

While I agree with you, Chris, Roenick saying anything along the lines of the "kiss my ass" comment is absolutely inexcusable. It's one thing to be passionate about your stance on something, but to throw the FANS of all people under the bus for this is completely wrong. He made good points earlier in the interview (something Dan Patrick brought up on his show today), but the news was that he basically told fans who thought that the players were spoiled to kiss his ass and never watch a hockey game again. What he doesn't realize is that NOBODY WAS WATCHING BEFORE THE LOCKOUT!! What kind of negative effect is it going to have on the remaining fans who were going to tune in to give the NHL support? A pretty lasting negative effect.

I'll give you that ESPN is probably thrilled to be writing about the demise of the NHL, but Roenick's comments, while they may have been taken out of context as he claims, are completely off-base and may have just killed whatever lasting hope that the NHL could survive with the apathy that they have coming at them from the general public. Roenick's interview was good, since he's candid and willing to talk, but he took a step forward and about thirty steps back with that comment in the interview.

Oh, I agree completely...Roenick was a grade-A ass for that little tirade. I was shocked to see comments like that.

It's very interesting looking at the difference between the Canadian and American coverage, though. Canadian news sources like TSN and Sportsnet were MUCH more balanced, at least acknowledging that Roenick was trying to make some decent points, and letting the readers make up their own minds instead of force-feeding them whatever the media wanted them to believe.

If it's the most newsworthy thing he says, then ESPN should report it.

Wow, you're going to be the greatest journalist ever.

Regardless of what Roenick said, their job is to report the most newsworthy thing from the piece, which is exactly what they did.

Is Roenick making good points about hockey news? No, not really.

Is Roenick telling the fans to kiss his ass if they didn't agree with, news? Yes, definetley.

If it's the most newsworthy thing he says, then ESPN should report it.

Wow, you're going to be the greatest journalist ever.

Regardless of what Roenick said, their job is to report the most newsworthy thing from the piece, which is exactly what they did.

Is Roenick telling the fans to kiss his ass if they didn't agree with, news? Yes, definetley.

He was making good points prior to his tirade though, bob. That's what ESPN doesn't report.

See my above post.

It's very interesting looking at the difference between the Canadian and American coverage, though. Canadian news sources like TSN and Sportsnet were MUCH more balanced, at least acknowledging that Roenick was trying to make some decent points, and letting the readers make up their own minds instead of force-feeding them whatever the media wanted them to believe.

That's because Canadians care much more about hockey. No one really cares what Roenick has to say about anything, which is why ESPN probably didn't report the whole story. I mean I certainly don't.

But him coming right out and telling the fans not to go to games is news, and it's what should be reported. Should they have mentioned the other stuff he said? Probably, but I don't have a problem with them focusing on Roenick saying something stupid.

That's because Canadians care much more about hockey. No one really cares what Roenick has to say about anything, which is why ESPN probably didn't report the whole story. I mean I certainly don't.

You can't just report on a little snippet of something larger and call it news! Context is EVERYTHING in journalism. Once you report something out of context or erroneous, people are going to believe that version, regardless of what actually happened. It's irresponsible journalism at best.

I for one think it was awesome. Sports has become so bogged down with cliched interviews and comments that it's nice to hear someone shoot from the hip and say how they really feel. JR should cut a 20 minute promo before each Flyers game whee he rips on the fans and the other team and calls himself "The Game" and "the best in this business".

You can't just report on a little snippet of something larger and call it news!

He told the fans to kiss his ass twice! I watched the video they put on ESPN, and what he said is definetely news. It's not like he danced around it or kind of implied it. He said it specifically- that's news no matter what he said before.

And the video at ESPN, does have some of his other comments as well. It doesn't sound like he said anything important.

Context is EVERYTHING in journalism. Once you report something out of context or erroneous, people are going to believe that version, regardless of what actually happened.

I watched the video and that's what he said. Roenick should choose his words more carefully if he doesn't want to end up looking like a jackass.

The other stuff Roenick said is not important. The last part about telling fans not to come to games and for them to kiss his ass is. You report what's news.

That's for individuals to decide...which they can't do unless they have the entire story.

You don't report every single thing someone said or else stories would get long and boring. A reporter's job is to pick out the most relevant bits and write a story.

He did come off like a first rate asshole. Even if he felt that way it wasn't the right way to go about it...they need to draw in new fans, not drive the few they have left away.

That's for individuals to decide...which they can't do unless they have the entire story.

You don't report every single thing someone said or else stories would get long and boring. A reporter's job is to pick out the most relevant bits and write a story.

That's true. But as a journalist myself, there were plenty of good quotes.

Unless you work for Fox News, you try to represent both sides of a story and not villify.

As for the topic:

Yes. Yes he is.

Bob you need some journalism classes, because you are suppose to report everything that has substance to the question in hand.

Your opinions come afterwards in what journalist calls "columns"

Bob you need some journalism classes, because you are suppose to report everything that has substance to the question in hand.

Thanks, but I've been in school for three years now.

Your opinions come afterwards in what journalist calls "columns"

ESPN didn't take an opinion in their article about what Roenick did. They did make a decision on what they thought was newsworthy, which is what news organizations do.

Not everything Roenick said is relevant. And in a sport that barely has any relevancy left in the US, ESPN's not going to report everything he said since no one cares.

No one is obligated to go over everything Roenick said, but one should at least mention whatever comment or question it was that set off Roenick, so as to establish some context and fairness (too much to ask of the media, I know). It takes, at most, one extra line to do so. The way the article is put together, you're under the impression that Roenick came out from the beginning with guns blazing, with no rhyme or reason.

Still, he's definitely an ass. The question that was asked, which was finally covered on SportsCenter tonight, could've been handled much better.

As a longtime NHL fan...I was extremely ticked off with the lockout and all. No...it wasn't all the players fault...the owners are every bit as greedy as the players are. But you would think that they would come to the realization they were losing the casual fan and starting to lose some of the hardcore base. (What baseball doesn't tell you is they lost quite a few hardcore fans to the '94 strike and have yet to come back if ever.) They had plenty of time to get a deal done and pissed all that time away. I was, however...willing to give it another chance since I love the sport.

After Roenick's comments, I'm done with the NHL for good. Regardless of context, etc...telling fans who felt the players were greedy to kiss his ass was a slap in the face to all fans everywhere. First of all, Roenick...that's Vince McMahon's line. Second of all, the players (and owners) were greedy enough to throw away an entire year. So in the process you hurt not only the fans but the folks who made their living selling tickets, food, concessions, etc. You don't think they have a right to be upset? This could have been prevented...both sides are to blame for that and I hold both sides equally responsible.

As for ESPN...ESPN was at least still trying to put hockey on and give it to the fans. Otherwise, the only US outlet would have been NBC (which in the last few years has given way to non-sports like Arena Football, Neckcar, golf, and tennis). Maybe Roenick's comment was wrong...but it was said and even if you add another line or two of video to it you can't hide the fact that he told the fans to kiss his ass. Can't put any type of spin on that to make it sound any better. It's still BS no matter how you slice it.

Also, Roenick...I don't know if I'm in the minority here with this but here goes...This is not just dangerous to the NHL and its future. This lockout could potentially be fatal. The league is in huge trouble right now with struggling teams financially, especially the Canadian teams that have a hard time competing with the dollar exchange. If the NHL doesn't right the ship and fast, you'll be soon going the way of the XFL, the ABA, and the USFL...we'll be talking about a league that used to exist!

Well...Roenick...it doesn't matter to you. So be it...I'll keep my ass at home...and not buying your merchandise, pimping the NHL website or watching on TV. You're upset, you're entitled to that. But you're dead wrong. I'll put my dollars towards our junior league teams, high school hockey, and the minor league team starting this October.