TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Angora Jellyfish

So I'm In NYC for 2 Weeks

Guest Angora Jellyfish

Ok, so I'm in NY for 2 weeks and just like Anchorman, "I...IMMEDIATELY regret this decision."

There's plenty of culture, theatre, socially liberal idea exchange, and wild night life - if you're a yuppie with plenty of money to burn. $35.00 admission fee for nightclubs? Pay parking garages for public libraries?? I went to the Barclay's in Rye, and the hamburgers were $7.00???? $4.00 BROWNIES??!?! And all this bullshit about it being the safest city in the NE is nonsense once you leave Manhattan.

Anyway, I'm looking for a good slice. So far the pizza I've had has tasted like cheese on toast. The sauce is either non existent, or it's so tasteless that you can't tell it's there. Seriously, it's tomato paste with garlic dumped in it. And I've eaten from Park Ave. to White Plains thus far.

Please give me a pizza joint that will not fail me. Also, great bagel places? Suburbs or city, doesn't matter.

I stayed in NYC (and northern NJ) for a month in 2000. Other than being able to see the Twin Towers before their destruction, I can't say I took away anything from the trip other than a confirmation of all my apprehensions about the city.

A side note though is one weekend that month I went up to Boston and I enjoyed those two days a lot more than my time in NYC, hence in the Boston vs. NYC battle I'll always side with Boston

I lived in Long Island and I've been to Boston and I actually have to side with the Boston crowd on this debate. For one thing, prices tend to be cheaper in Boston.

If you want pizza with dripping grease, go to Penn Station.

Anyone living in Long Island will side with Boston.

Theres places in Elmhurst/Woodside, Queens, tons of Pizza places there. There's a specific chain by the name of "Famous Pizza". They give you like a mini-pie, which is like 10 pizzas, cost around 4 bucks. I don't think you'll find it, but if you see a Famous Pizza, be sure to step in.

And who the hell said NY is the safest place in the North East? That's kind of funny.

How the fuck do you not have fun in NYC?  :huh:

Seriously. Even if you're broke, you can just wander around Chinatown for an afternoon and have a delicious bowl of four dollar noodles. There's stuff to do for everyone. Take the train if you don't like paying for parking.

Oh yeah, pizza. There's this great place by St. John's University, in Jamaica. Can't remember the name exactly, but it's on the corner of Utopia Parkway and Union Turnpike.

Even if you cant afford the subway, you can still walk to so many cool places in Manhattan. Theres always some street musicaian to amuse you, something like a million CHEAP clubs, coffeehouses, and bars with great music. The East Village is my favorite place prsonally, but can be a bit dangerous in parts.

Im from a town of 400 in Wisconsin and theres nothing I enjoy more than riding a Greyhound to Port Authority and just getting lost in NYC.

Its only expensive if you approach it as a tourist. Check out the underground, look at the Empire State Building without paying the go-inside-an-upstairs fee...stay at hostels for cheap, some of the 1-2$ hot dogs and pizza slices are damn good, theres always good music in literally every genre, and the town really never does sleep.

Good pizza - John's, in the high 200s on Bleecker. They only sell whole pies, but it's fantastic. That puts you near Washington Square Park, where you'll be offered weed seventeen times as you walk through; it's also always full of cute NYU girls.

Can't help you on the bagels.

Where are you staying? There are plenty of places to go where you're not going to pay ridiculous covers, although you need to dispell this notion of driving anywhere in Manhattan immediately.

Guest Angora Jellyfish

Staying with a friend near Garrison, 156th in the Bronx.

Theres a lot of fried chicken places in the Bronx and stuff like that.

Go to Yankee Stadium, and the Bronx Zoo.

There's a place called Coronet (?) /Kor-on-et/ near Columbia University. They give out these gigantic slices for the same price an average sized slice costs. It's heavenly after you've been drinking until the bars close around 3 or 4.

Guest Angora Jellyfish
Thats the start of your problem...

You know...I remember before coming here on a different forum somebody drew a "World According To New Yorkers" map. It had Manhattan Island with the label "Center of the Universe" with the Bronx labeled "Upstate New York." I naturally brushed it off, thinking it's elitism was a bit over the top. Now I realize with the actual attitude of NY'ers, the actual line could be drawn at anything north of 14th street.

Just chiding. I would be interested in knowing decent places in the Village with low or no cover charge. Maybe it's just a matter of taste since I'm not amused in the least by the street musicians.

Well, the best thing about the city is how you don't have to go very far before running into a restaurant or bar you've never been in before.

You'll find some good places.

Go to the smaller areas . Check out Yonkers, my hometown, theres a lot of good pizza places still there or so I have heard , as I have not lived there in like 11 years. I never spent much time in NYC itself when I lived there and have never went down there in the couple of times I visted my family since then.

and chi pizza is completely different isnt it? i have never had it so I wont knock it or praise it.

Actually I only just passed thru chicago once (when I moved to the left coat I took a bus across the country and had to transfer over in chicago and spend 2 and a half hours in a terminal so that counts for my chitown experience.

There was something on the food channel I think once where they had a group of chicago and nyc firemen try the others pizza dn both of them just vicously verbally assaulted the others pizza, it was pretty funny.

Ok, so I'm in NY for 2 weeks and just like Anchorman, "I...IMMEDIATELY regret this decision."

There's plenty of culture, theatre, socially liberal idea exchange, and wild night life - if you're a yuppie with plenty of money to burn.  $35.00 admission fee for nightclubs?  Pay parking garages for public libraries??  I went to the Barclay's in Rye, and the hamburgers were $7.00????  $4.00 BROWNIES??!?!  And all this bullshit about it being the safest city in the NE is nonsense once you leave Manhattan.

Anyway, I'm looking for a good slice.  So far the pizza I've had has tasted like cheese on toast.  The sauce is either non existent, or it's so tasteless that you can't tell it's there.  Seriously, it's tomato paste with garlic dumped in it.  And I've eaten from Park Ave. to White Plains thus far.

Please give me a pizza joint that will not fail me.  Also, great bagel places?  Suburbs or city, doesn't matter.

Oh cool you were in white plains? thats right near yonkers, my dad was born there.

I like the sauce light personally, so that wouldnt be a prob.

Actually,Its all just a subjective thing, you always think the food where you live tastes the best. It's not universal that everyone will love pizza in NYC.

Guest Angora Jellyfish

I'm going to try 2 or 3 and write reviews. Thanks everyone.

You know...I remember before coming here on a different forum somebody drew a "World According To New Yorkers" map.  It had Manhattan Island with the label "Center of the Universe" with the Bronx labeled "Upstate New York."

Incredibly funny and oh-so-true

I've always wanted to go to Amateur Night at the Apollo. I wonder if I went if I'd be the only cracker in there.

I can't tell you about pizza in NYC, cause my lame cracker ass has never been there.

The best Pizza is usually the one thats not very popular in terms of reviews, and critics, and shit like that. Just go to some unknown pizza place, like Joe's Pizza or some shit like that.

It also depends what type of Pizza you like. I really haven't tried much Pizza out of New York.