TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kurt Angle Mark

Cover for Infinite Crisis #1

Christ, Batman is quite possibly the most successful D.C. Comics character around, so why are they ALWAYS fucking with him? Goddamn, if DC pulls that off, I'm going to be pissed, because it's the same type of stupid shit Marvel would pull with one of their characters.

I've been singing the praises of DC with Crisis. If they do that to Bats, though, I'm going to be suspicious as to whether the whole thing is secretly being scripted by Bendis.

Guest JMA

Does anyone else think Tim Drake will become the new Blue Beetle "one year later"? I believe Chuck Dixon once suggested this. It could very well happen since Ted is dead and there's been talk of a new Blue Beetle series.

Uh hello? Batman's entire existence these last 12 years has been ripping off the worst aspects of Marvel marketing and applying it to Batman; stories with no ending, non-stop crossovers, and making Batman such an unlikable and evil little shit that deserved being beaten into a coma by Superman.

Does anyone else think Tim Drake will become the new Blue Beetle "one year later"? I believe Chuck Dixon once suggested this. It could very well happen since Ted is dead and there's been talk of a new Blue Beetle series.

Won't fucking happen in a million fucking years; you have a better chance at Booster Gold taking over the Blue Beetle ID or the wizard Shazam outright resurrecting Ted than you do Tim, especially since Robin's entire arc heading into IC has been that he HAS NO FUCKING CHOICE WHATSOEVER except to stay Robin if he wants to keep the nightmare future he saw a year ago in the pages of Teen Titans from happening....

Christ, Batman is quite possibly the most successful D.C. Comics character around, so why are they ALWAYS fucking with him?  Goddamn, if DC pulls that off, I'm going to be pissed, because it's the same type of stupid shit Marvel would pull with one of their characters.

I've been singing the praises of DC with Crisis.  If they do that to Bats, though, I'm going to be suspicious as to whether the whole thing is secretly being scripted by Bendis.

Is Gordon still comissioner of Gotham right now? Because if he is, he'll call bullshit again just like the last two times there was a new Batman.

Christ, Batman is quite possibly the most successful D.C. Comics character around, so why are they ALWAYS fucking with him?  Goddamn, if DC pulls that off, I'm going to be pissed, because it's the same type of stupid shit Marvel would pull with one of their characters.

I've been singing the praises of DC with Crisis.  If they do that to Bats, though, I'm going to be suspicious as to whether the whole thing is secretly being scripted by Bendis.

Is Gordon still comissioner of Gotham right now? Because if he is, he'll call bullshit again just like the last two times there was a new Batman.

Gordon isn't commissioner anymore; he hasn't had any sort of major role in the Batbooks since the IIRC "Officer Down" storyline about four years ago.....

Guest JMA

Won't fucking happen in a million fucking years; you have a better chance at Booster Gold taking over the Blue Beetle ID or the wizard Shazam outright resurrecting Ted than you do Tim, especially since Robin's entire arc heading into IC has been that he HAS NO FUCKING CHOICE WHATSOEVER except to stay Robin if he wants to keep the nightmare future he saw a year ago in the pages of Teen Titans from happening....

It could actually very easily happen. Let's look at why:

1 - A writer who has experience writing Batman related characters is known to have suggested the idea.

2 - Tim Drake was a "kid genius" (not in terms of science) who discovered the identity of Batman. Given that Ted Kord was also a child genius, this makes him more like Ted than Bruce.

3 - The last person to call himself the "Blue Beetle" is dead and the position is open for a new character to fill.

4 - DC seems to be very high on Tim Drake and may want to move him out of Batman's shadow.

5 - There are rumors of a new Blue Beetle series coming out, and there has been speculation that the character will have a major influence.

6 - It's been said that "one year later" the identities of heroes may be different.

Just because something seems unlikely at the moment doesn't mean that it won't happen.

As dor Dick replacing Bruce as Batman, I doubt that will happen. It's been stated by Greg Rucka that there are no plans to replace Bruce at this time. He did say that if someone were to replace him it would be Tim Drake, though. It would also be dumb to replace Bruce as Batman with the Batman movie franchise now back in full force.

Again reread the "Titans of the Future" storyline, which had Robin be hit over the head with 60 lb anvils that if he quits being Robin, that he'll turn into an unredeemable murderous "hero" who'll be a total and utter blaspheme of everything he once stood for especially since it's been established that Tim will become the leader/idol of the next generation of heroes after IC.

So Tim Drake, out of fear for God at the future he's seen, can never become anything else but Robin. EVER, least he lead the future generation of heroes down the road to evil and murder.

As for DC, they'll never EVER FUCKING EVER pull Tim Drake out of the Robin suit. Tim's the most commercially successful Robin of all time due to his solo series (which is routinely the best selling Batbook around) and DC will NEVER EVER FUCKING EVER move him out of the spot.

Besides, turning him into Blue Beetle would ruin the character. Bullshit shit storylines ike making Tim be the next Blue Beetle is the reason Chuck Dixon isn't allowed to write Robin anymore. Better to just raise Ted from the dead and be done with it.

As for the fate of Blue Beetle/rumored new Blue Beetle series, remember this: Keith Giffen has a project coming from DC after IC. I would not be suprised at all if Ted Kord is raised from the dead at the end of IC and that the new Blue Beetle series will be written by Giffen and feature Ted, Booster, Fire, and the remaining Giffen JLAers running around the DCU.

So who's in the wrong:

DC for killing off Giffen's characters?

Or...

Giffen not moving on with some other characters?

This topic, amongst my own friends, always sparks up some debate.

Guest JMA
As for DC, they'll never EVER FUCKING EVER pull Tim Drake out of the Robin suit. Tim's the most commercially successful Robin of all time due to his solo series (which is routinely the best selling Batbook around) and DC will NEVER EVER FUCKING EVER move him out of the spot.

He'll NEVER be anying except Robin? I very much doubt that. Eventually I do see DC changing his costumed persona, regardless of what was said in one storyline. I just don't see him still being Robin in the next twenty years. I think DC will have him move out of Batman's shadow like Dick tried to do when he became Nightwing. Interestingly enough, the "Nightwing" identity was also held by someone before Grayson--Superman.

Besides, turning him into Blue Beetle would ruin the character. Bullshit shit storylines ike making Tim be the next Blue Beetle is the reason Chuck Dixon isn't allowed to write Robin anymore. Better to just raise Ted from the dead and be done with it.

I see Ted coming back (this soon) as being a highly unlikely event. He may become the new host of the Spectre, but him returning to life doesn't seem like something DC would do (at least for a few years).

As for Chuck Dixon, I don't read much of his stuff, but apparently many people like his Nightwing run. I only mentioned him because he was the one who suggested it. Nonetheless, it may still happen. Who else (besides Ted) could be the star of the rumored Blue Beetle title?

Guest JMA
I actually sort of liked the idea of Kord being the new host for the Spectre, but I don't know how a genial Spectre would act.

Ted's definitely one of the lead candidates for the role. Then again, there is that guy named Jim Corrigan in Gotham Central, I believe.

Guest JMA
So who's in the wrong:

Or...

This topic, amongst my own friends, always sparks up some debate.

Since Giffen isn't really upset at DC for killing Ted off, I'd say no one is in the wrong.

So who's in the wrong:

Or...

Giffen is now doing "Defenders" for Marvel.

Any fan of JLI should pick this up.

Again reread the "Titans of the Future" storyline, which had Robin be hit over the head with 60 lb anvils that if he quits being Robin, that he'll turn into an unredeemable murderous "hero" who'll be a total and utter blaspheme of everything he once stood for especially since it's been established that Tim will become the leader/idol of the next generation of heroes after IC.

So Tim Drake, out of fear for God at the future he's seen, can never become anything else but Robin. EVER, least he lead the future generation of heroes down the road to evil and murder.

Yeah, but didn't that whole deal go down right before Robin's dad was iced in Identity Crisis? That's gotta change Tim's outlook on everthing. I haven't been following Robin or Teen Titans since the aformentioned future arc, so I don't really know how he's dealing with all that, but it had to have dramatically changed his character. I'm not saying that DC would necessarily put Tim in the Batman suit, but I just think that that whole motivation not to become the Batman has been shot down after the death of his father.

However, it's obvious to me that any change to the man under the Batman mask would be temporary. Batman will always be Bruce Wayne. That is one of the status quos that DC comics will always come back to no matter what the changes. Especially with the new movie being so successful.

Oh and I just cannot see Ted Kord as the Spectre's host.

Guest Prodigy
Yeah, but didn't that whole deal go down right before Robin's dad was iced in Identity Crisis? That's gotta change Tim's outlook on everthing. I haven't been following Robin or Teen Titans since the aformentioned future arc, so I don't really know how he's dealing with all that, but it had to have dramatically changed his character. I'm not saying that DC would necessarily put Tim in the Batman suit, but I just think that that whole motivation not to become the Batman has been shot down after the death of his father.

I don't read Robin but the aftermath of Tim's dad was handled in an issue of 'Titans. It starts with Tim dwelling over his dad's death, saying how he's thinking like Batman, and it scares him. By the end, he says, "For the first time this week I stop thinking like Batman, and start thinking like a Titan." Based on that, I don't see Tim wanting to become Batman, but the seeds are definitely there. Oh, and "Titans Tomorrow" did happen before the death of his dad, but also happened after the death of his girlfriend. Damn his life sucks.

Wow two pages and this even isn't out yet. Sucks to be House of M.

Given the shit nature of House of Bendis Masturbating While Typing and Bendis the shithead skullcunt, you expect any less? At least DC is TRYING to make it all rational unlike shithead skullcunt.

Given the shit nature of House of Bendis Masturbating While Typing and Bendis the shithead skullcunt, you expect any less? At least DC is TRYING to make it all rational unlike shithead skullcunt.

I told the guy who owns the comic shop I frequent that I didn't want to by any House of M books because they take place outside of continuity and thus wouldn't matter much and were a waste of money. He asked me to write Joe Quesada a letter to that effect.

My understanding, though, is that the House of M books are selling well. Thanks knee-jerk X-Men crossover buyers!

I think Bendis is great when he doesn't have to deal with continuity, then the quality's right out the window. Marvel should recognize that and just put him on ultimates and Alias.

Warning! This post has HoM and IC spoilers from weeks old comic books so if you're bitchy about that sort of stuff stop......

I told the guy who owns the comic shop I frequent that I didn't want to by any House of M books because they take place outside of continuity and thus wouldn't matter much and were a waste of money. He asked me to write Joe Quesada a letter to that effect.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of marvel at all, the only Marvel stuff I ever really bought was The Ultimates but House of M was sort of intriguing to me when I first started hearing all the hype about it. So I was considering looking in to it. Then I hear that it's just another Alternate Reality story. That reaks of uncreativity. The whole thing seems to be a big What If? to me at this point. Ooooh what if Parker was married to Gwen Stacy, ooooh what if Uncle Ben was still alive, ooooh what if Dr Doom led the F4, ooooh what if Magneto ruled the world, ooooh what if I gave a damn. And what's supposed to be the big deal with Hawkeye being alive? A bunch of other people who should be dead are alive too. The whole storyline just reaks of a Deus Ex Machina way of bringing about a bunch of Shocking Swerves. But wait! Marvel says that everyone will remember what happened in the HoM universe (unlike Age of Apocalypse)! So what? How is that going to do anything effective? Everything's going to go back to normal (except Hawkeye will probably stay alive) and I guess characters will just break out the "hey remember that time we were in that alternate universe? Yeah, that was wierd huh?" from time to time.

Now I'm all for alternate universe stories as long as they're well written and entertaining. But for Marvel to hype this thing up like some giant mega "nothing will ever be the same" crossover, then come out with some glorified What If? story that takes all it's drama from Russo-ish swerves just makes me uninterested.

Whereas DC's Infinite Crisis seems to actually be drawing on real character interactions and histories. I mean

Wonder Woman killing Max Lord and having to deal with Superman and Batman

, the betrayal of Batman by the Justice League, and all the other character driven storylines are not derived from some alternate reality or cosmic event. The writing just seems a hell of a lot more intruiging. Now I'm sure alternate realities and cosmic events will come into play in IC, but the story isn't completely derived from those plot devices. Look and everything that's happened so far. The Infinite Crisis hasn't even started yet.

I guess characters will just break out the "hey remember that time we were in that alternate universe? Yeah, that was wierd huh?" from time to time.

Again this is just rumor, but the current rumor going down is that Bendis is demanding a MASSIVE across the board and fuck any writer who gets fucked over because of my ego-driven needs status quo change regarding House of M and the warping of reality it's caused.

These rumors range from stating that everyone who's raised from the dead for HOM remain alive after the mini-series to Bendis wanting to end the story with yet ANOTHER reality altering event that

strips about 99% of the Marvel Universe's X-Men and X-Men villain population of their powers and memories of even being mutants

And then of course there is the even more controversial rumor going around that says

Bendis will refuse to "fix" things at all, with Wolverine killing Scarlet Witch in cold blood to "restore" reality only to damn the planet to exist in Bendis's poor man's AOA universe and only selective characters getting their true memories back at the end of the story

These rumors range from stating that everyone who's raised from the dead for HOM remain alive after the mini-series

Oh if that happens, then I'd be so pissed. Pretty much for the sole reason that Ben Parker is the one dead guy in comics left (other than Barry Allen and Jason To...oh wait) who has to stay dead because he means so much more to the character that way. Bringing back a character like him only provides a few stories that are of any worth, but at the same time completely destroys so much of the main character's (in this case Spiderman) personality/motivation/characterization that it harms them in the long run. 10, 20, 50 years from now will it be more worthwhile to have a Spiderman walking around with that deep history behind him, or just have another minor character in the book. Plus bringing back "Alternate Universe" versions of dead people is so tacky and uninspired.

Goddamnit, how is Bendis so popular and powerful?

These rumors range from stating that everyone who's raised from the dead for HOM remain alive after the mini-series

Oh if that happens, then I'd be so pissed. Pretty much for the sole reason that Ben Parker is the one dead guy in comics left (other than Barry Allen and Jason To...oh wait) who has to stay dead because he means so much more to the character that way.

Too bad

Bucky

isn't on that list.

Guest Prodigy
I liked what Bendis did to Daredevil, but I really don't care for the rest of his work.

If you like Bendis' Daredevil, you might like to hear that the creative team to take over is Brubaker and Michael Lark.

I like the third dimension dynamic to the Big 3 relationship now.

Wonder Woman will kill, Superman will kill when left with no choice but hates it, and Batman is completely opposed to killing.

Wondy's a born warrior and will always have more balls than the boys. It can happen. Personally, I think this makes Wonder Woman the most dangerous female in the DCU now after nearly killing Superman (and having already pounded on Batman a couple years ago).

Tha bitch got pissed.

I like it.

Nice work DC. The company is seriously ahead of Marvel right now in terms of good story telling. House of M is awful and the New Avengers screams cash scam from Marvel with no heart behind the team.

Spider-Man *and* Wolverine on the same team? Is Marvel bleeding for more cash again? Keep that stuff on the d-low and make their meetings special.

Wolverine and Spidey are on the same team because Bendis is a creatively bankrupt person who keeps sticking Logan and Peter in all of his books for no damn reason except because they are the only characters outside Daredevil and his Mary Sue characters that he'll write in any comic he writes.

Bendis's DD is shit and the worst DD stories ever written, even worse than the crap stories of the late 60s when DD told everyone he had a blind twin brother who DD pretended to be so he could go around acting like Quagmire from Family Guy with the women....

Also an interesting note: SBCB's "All the Rage" rumor column has some interesting notes about Countdown to Infinite Crisis/OMAC. Apparently Max Lord wasn't DC's first pick for the big bad/Blue Beetle's killer. Originally it was a toss-up between:

Nemesis (the much beloved Suicide Squad version)

Mr. Jupiter (father of Teen Titan member Lilith and one-time sugar daddy of the original Teen Titans)

King Faraday (ultra-generic 1950s spy character who's claim to fame in the post-crisis DCU is that he went on missions for the US Government that ended up used to make Captain Atom appear to be a hero who's been around longer than he really was)

Out of the three, Jupiter would have made the perfect pick since he'd be out for blood for his daughter's death (and validate DiDio's claims that "Graduation Day" is the catalyst for everything that's happened) and would appeal to fanboys who've felt that Jupiter was up to no good with his dealings with the Titans. Nemesis would have worked too given the fans of the character. But Faraday would have been a complete and total flop.

Agreed on Bendis and DD. The pacing for DD stories was awful with Bendis. They'd drag out forever and the pay off would suffer because of that.

If he had just stopped writing DD after #50, everything would have been okay and he could have left on a better note back then than he will now. My biggest gripe with DD has always been the art though. I don't care for the shadow and line style at all since it's sometimes too damn difficult to tell what the hell's going on in a panel sequence. Add to Bendis' stretched out stories and this book has made for an awful read at times.