TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

Just like two years ago....

It was two years and one week ago that I came up with this.

I'm going to do it again. They have played like total shit the first half getting absolutely nothing from Mike Lowell, Juan Pierre, Al Leiter, Josh Beckett, etc, etc. but they are still 4 games over .500 (5 if tonight's lead holds).

Marlins will pull it together and do no worse than the NLCS. I'll still be around to be ripped on if (when?) it doesn't happen.

And looking back, Al made some pretty bad comments a few years ago about the Marlins... guess you're not always right. :)

I didn't buy into it back then, but you were right. I don't buy into it now, though, and I don't think lightning will strike twice.

Looking at the thread's a blast, though, now knowing what happened.

God, if the Marlins make the playoffs and make a winner out of Jeffrey Loria... well, then God must have a sick sense of humour, especially since the Expos are very much in the thick of the Wild Card chase.

The Diamondbacks are the team to watch in the secong half with the return of Schilling and Johnson and the rest of the "walking wounded" returns.

Teams that are "for real" win the division, not the consolation prize.

This is the worst thing ever.

No, the worst thing ever is if they proceed to win the National League.

Ok, it's bad enough that they're going to make the playoffs, but if they beat the Giants and Felipe Alou in the first round...

I will kill someone.

Does anyone else want to see a Cubs-Red Sox Series?

As long as its not Yankees/Marlins, I'm happy.

Tim wins for best posts in retrospect. I'm convinced he and Al are to blame for everything that proceeded to happen.

By the way, Mota blew the lead and the Cubs proceeded to break out the lumber in the ninth that saw Adam Greenberg get hit in the head by the first pitch he saw as a major leaguer. They've still done terribly in July, but I'm impressed by a lot of the patience and quality at-bats they had tonight.

The best part was when Anglesault said teams that are "for real" win the division, not the "consolation prize." Then that team that he said wasn't for real beat the Yanks in the World Series, and one year later another team that made the playoffs through the "consolation prize" beat the Yanks in the ALCS. And IIRC, weren't the Angels the WC team in 02? I miss Anglesault.

Well, I never said they could not win the National League, or even that it was unlikely. I said the worst thing would be for them to win the National League, but that was an Anti-Jeff Loria statement more than anything.

It really wouldn't have made a difference.  At least the Marlins have an excuse now when they lose.

And as long as we're taking cheap shots, I'm just waiting for the Marlins to sell their entire team again.

These were the two I was talking about. From this thread.

Either way, I'm just messing around.

The Marlins had the all time fluke bullshit run ever in 2003. There is no way they are doing anything again. It's odd though, because their record doesn't really equal the team stats. They are highly ranked in the NL in both hitting and pitching, so something isn't quite right here.

I agree with what Al said. The Marlins winning the WS in 03 was the worst possible thing that could have happened. In those playoffs you had the Cubs, Yankees, Marlins, and Red Sox. Which of those teams winning the Series would produce by far the least interest? And guess which team won.

From a general baseball perspective, the 2003 postseason was a thing of absolute beauty until the Series. We had...

- The Sox coming back from 2-0 in the ALDS to win in an exciting Game 5.

- The Cubs winning their first postseason series in decades in Atlanta.

- The Marlins winning the NLDS with a play at the plate.

- Two seven-game Championship Series, both of which featured the two most legendary hard-luck teams coming within five outs of going to the Series.

The Series had its moments, but it was an anti-climatic finish to two great weeks of October ball.

I wouldnt be surprised at all if the Marlins win another championship this year.

All I can do now is hope that maybe Milwaukee can do something similar to the '03 Marlins club. Theyre hovering around .500 right now, Sheets is back in the rotation and getting back into form each start, and Lyle Overbay and Geoff Jenkins are FINALLY hitting the baseball.

Again, as for the Marlins, I dont think anybody should bt against that team pulling crazy shit off in October.

The best part was when Anglesault said teams that are "for real" win the division, not the "consolation prize." Then that team that he said wasn't for real beat the Yanks in the World Series, and one year later another team that made the playoffs through the "consolation prize" beat the Yanks in the ALCS. And IIRC, weren't the Angels the WC team in 02?  I miss Anglesault.

Why was Angle banned? I mean what did he say to get that I remember him saying all sorts of things back in the day, but nothing too evil. No one seems to know.

Because he was a pain in the ass to deal with, derailing nearly EVERY thread with tales of woe about his oh-so terrible Yankees. We turfed him and the baseball discussions immediately improved.

My crazy solution to fix the 2005 Marlins...get ready for it.

Fire Jack McKeon.

Yes, I know he's practically a legend now and the face of the Marlins' franchise (which is sad), but apparently his act is wearing thin on the players. Even Peter Gammons has said that may be one of the Marlins main problems.

Worked for them two years ago and the Astros last year... I think it can work. The talent is there but it's not really showing.

Just found out today that Dusty's real name is Johnnie.

The Marlins just drafted 5 pitchers in the first round as well. Dusty mananging the team is probably the worst thing I can think of.

My crazy solution to fix the 2005 Marlins...get ready for it.

Fire Jack McKeon.

...and bring back Jim Leyland? I heard he was looking to manage again. That would be kind of neat.

My bold, hoped for prediction which I never would have dreamed possible in March but now is at least a possibility is a Baltimore/Washington World Series. We'll see...