TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
k thx

Tell chave what to see at Reading festival!

Here's a list of bands playing at Reading festival (26-28th August). Please reccomend some good acts to see, if possible with reasons why.

Main Stage

Friday

Pixies

The Killers

Queens Of THe Stone Age

The Coral

Elbow

Graham Coxon

Dropkick Murphys

The Wedding Present

Saturday

Foo Fighters

Kings Of Leon

Razorlight

The Charlatans

Dinosaur Jr

Roots Manuva

Transplants

Simple Plan

The All-American Rejects

Sunday

Iron Maiden

Marilyn Manson

Incubus

Iggy & the Stooges

NoFX

Funeral For A Friend

Alkaline Trio

Turbonegro

Bullet For My Valentine

NME Radio 1 Stage

Friday

Kasabian

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

The Cooper Temple Clause

My Chemical Romance

Fightstar

The Subways

Death From Above 1979

The Dead 60's

Blood Brothers

yourcodenameis:milo

The Black Velvets

Saturday

The Tears

Babyshambles

The Arcade Fire

Hot Hot Heat

The Kills

The Others

Juliette and The Licks

Nine Black Alps

The Cribs

The Longcut

Editors

Sunday

Bloc Party

The Futureheads

LCD Soundsystem

British Sea Power

The Duke Spirit

Maximo Park

HAL

Sons and Daughters

The Rakes

Art Brut

Carling Tent

Friday

Ladytron

Charlotte Hatherley

Saul Williams

The National

Mando Diao

The Paddingtons

We Are Scientists

The Blood Arm

The Cherubs

Two Gallants

The Rogers Sisters

Saturday

The Go! Team

The Raveonettes

Sleater Kinney

Caesars

Be Your Own Pet

Yeti

Dogs

Arctic Monkeys

The Mystery Jets

747's

Clor

Neon

Puggy

Sunday

Echo and the Bunnymen

Adam Green

The Dresden Dolls

Engineers

Amusement Parks On Fire

Komakino

Towers Of London

The Rifles

Battle

Every Move A Picture

Young Offenders Institute

Boy Kill Boy

Forward Russia

Dance tent

Friday

Lemon Jelly

Audio Bullys

Sunday

Mylo

Radio 1 Lock-Up Stage

Saturday

Bad Religion

Hatebreed

Anti-flag

Rise Agains

Eighteen Visions

Dwarves

Capdown

Million Dead

Emanuel

The Explosion

No Comply

Million Dead should be great, as they've stopped being a poor mans At The Drive-In and have evolved into a decent Black Flag-esque style, Fightstar should at least be quite funny and, if pressured, they may play "Crashed The Wedding", Turbonegro and the Dropkick Murphys should provide mindless fun, the Wedding Present will be worth watching because they're great, but most people wont have a clue who they are/why they're on the main stage and, even though they're not listed, Gratitude are apparently playing and, having seen them on Wednesday, they are an awesome live act and singer Jonah is maybe the nicest man in music.

Guest crownofthorns13

That is an incredible lineup of music. Is this festival like Woodstock, where you camp out for all three days? Have you been before?

No matter what, do NOT miss Saul Williams.

Oh fuck yeah!

I thought I'd try a few of his tracks based purely on the fact he's on this years line-up. The guy fucking rocks.

No matter what, do NOT miss Saul Williams.

Oh fuck yeah!

I thought I'd try a few of his tracks based purely on the fact he's on this years line-up. The guy fucking rocks.

And he is just powerfully good live. I got to see him at the Bonaroo fest, waited for almost 4 hours to be in the front rwo, missed the Dave Matthews Band and it was completely worth it...best performance of that weekend and one of the best I have ever seen.

He is THE poet of this generation right now...and also a stellar mc.

Queens of the Stone Age, though they have on and off days live.

Foo Fighters, I'm not a huge fan but they are great live. Grohl is an awesome live frontman.

Iron Maiden

Iggy and the Stooges

Turbonegro

Echo and the Bunnymen

That is an incredible lineup of music.  Is this festival like Woodstock, where you camp out for all three days?  Have you been before?

Yeah it's like that where you camp for the 3 days. I've been going to this festival for the last 5 years, it's always a great experience. I haven't got my ticket yet, but will be paying a visit to Mr. Ebay to ensure I go, there is no way I'm missing it.

What are some quintessential tracks by this Saul Williams fellow?

I'll definatly be checking out DFA1979 and Arcade Fire, Q Magazine over here was pimping tracks by both of them in their "Download This" section and I've really grown to like them both.

All this festival needs in my opinion is for Andrew WK to be added to the line up in one of the special guest slots to make this one of the most fun festivals I'll of ever been to.

Recommendations from me on what to see:

QOTSA - usually good fun live, but like Jimmy said they do have good and bad days.

Marilyn Manson - I'm not what could be considered a big fan of the guys music, but my God does he put on one hell of show. Not to be missed.

Turbonegro - Another super fun live band.

Iggy and the Stooges - The guy has an incredible amount of energy for a man his age, Iggy won't disapoint.

Those are my picks based soley on previous festival appearances and their performances at those.

That is an incredible lineup of music.  Is this festival like Woodstock, where you camp out for all three days?  Have you been before?

What are some quintessential tracks by this Saul Williams fellow?

http://www.saulwilliams.com

Download everything available there. All 3 records are worth getting...Amethyst Rock Star, the EP, and the s/t. Also, check out his one-poem book Said The Shotgun To The Head.

He also freestyles live.

Guest Derek Bailey

I don't have to give reasons, because I'm me.

Graham Coxon

The Wedding Present

Dinosaur Jr

Iggy & the Stooges

Turbonegro

yourcodenameis:milo

The Arcade Fire

Bloc Party

The Futureheads

LCD Soundsystem

British Sea Power

Saul Williams

The Go! Team

Sleater Kinney

Echo and the Bunnymen

Dwarves

Million Dead

I imagine everyone there would be at least decent, in one way or another.

Cheap plug. If you (anyone) like Million Dead you should check out the assorted features we have on them scattered around the website http://www.airwavesback.com. I don't particularly like them, but the site boss is friends with their lead guy Frank, so we get the opportunity to do stuff with them that would normally be reserved for sites that people, well, know.

I'd make it a mission to see The Killers, Dinosaur Jr, Maiden, Manson, NoFX, Kasabian (get their CD, it's great), My Chemical Romance, Bad Religion, and Rise Against.

Probably showing my ignorance, though, as I'm not a fan of most indie music.

Guest Derek Bailey
Adam Green is on my list of Musicians I Would Like to Murder.

Oops, didn't mean to include him. I don't hate him enough to want to murder him, but I've never been able to sit through anything he's done for more than three minutes.

You should see these Guys

Iggy and the Stooges

Saul Williams

Dinosaur jr.

Sleater Kinney

Arcade Fire

QOTSA

The Killers (who cares what hipsters and The Onion AV club says, I like them)

Dwarves

Much as the guy's a skagged up tosser, and Gemstones is a diabolical album, I absolutely love Freinds Of Mine. It's easily in my top 5 albums of all time.

I'll probably see Marilyn Manson instead though.

Much as the guy's a skagged up tosser, and Gemstones is a diabolical album, I absolutely love Freinds Of Mine. It's easily in my top 5 albums of all time.

I'll probably see Marilyn Manson instead though.

Manson would be on the list, too, but I don't want to make him a martyr.

That lineup is incredible. I wonder if Dave Grohl will be drumming for QOTSA since the Foo Fighters are playing the day after.

Razorlight are a bunch of drunks. I saw them back in November and the lead singer and one of the other guitar players were tanked before they even got on stage. You couldn't distinguish anything he was singing and he would just randomly stop and drinks. Eventually he got so tanked that he decided to run around the entire venue during a song. Then commented about almost getting lost. They aren't bad, but unless they're drunk you won't be entertained.

How much does Reading cost?

It costs £135 for a weekend ticket, or you could buy single day tickets at £60 each.

There is a possibility that Ghrol could drum for QOTSA as the Foos aren't playing the Leeds festival until Sunday.

I'm going to the Leeds site (same lineup with the days swapped around) for The Wedding Present, Pixies, Dresden Dolls, Sons and Daughters, maybe Arcade Fire and The Futureheads, and will take great pains to avoid Kasabian, among others. I may still have to sell my ticket, though. If The Wedding Present hadn't been confirmed, and 'Dare' hadn't been on all their recent setlists, I probably would have sold it by now anyway. Not to say it isn't the best festival lineup in the UK this year.

Check out the Go! Team. I'd love to see them live. Fun goddamn album.

You guys should check out the Arcade Fire even if you're iffy on the album, cause they put on a ridiculously energetic and affecting show.

I'll rep the Canucks on this one and say make it a point to check out DFA1979 and Arcade Fire.

*nods*

Them, and Hot Hot Heat supposedly put on a great live act. I'd also check out the Bloc Party. I imagine they'd put on an insanely fun set.

Do Me Bad Things have been added to the first day at the bottom of the main stage.

Result!

Another Do Me Bad Things fan in these parts eh? Excellent stuff.

Really looking forward to seeing them live, I've been street teaming for them now for a while, not many people seem to have a clue who they are. I quite want to go to Big Gay Out at the end of the month to see them, Electric Six and Girls Aloud.

Guest Samantha

I really wish I was going now... so many bands i'd like to see.

Man... Do Me Bad Things, they're probably a really fun band to see live, the album's wicked soo... i'm gutted I decided not to go.

Do tell why you decided not to go?

As far as DMBT being a brilliant live act, I'm yet to hear a negative report of them in concert.

Guest Samantha

I went last year and came home early due to not having slept in over 60 hours and I was really miserable... it was really muddy didn't help my mood. Maybe i'll check out e-bay for tickets, some of my mates are going.

Guest Derek Bailey

Pfft, Pro Plus valiantly kept me alert with about five hours of sleep in five days at All Tomorrow's Parties this year, then after another night of no sleep from a bus journey, I aced an exam. Pro Plus is a miracle worker. Pro Plus is my personal deity. Pro Plus could end famine, if given the chance.