TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dangerous A

OAO Raw Thread for 7/11/2005

Piper wasn't upset that he attacked Hogan, he was just upset at the way HBK did it since it was very cowardly.

Except Piper kept asking him about WHY he did it, not HOW he did it.

Piper should be on HBK's side on this.

Who has been good in both OVW and WWE?  Brock?  Maybe Shelton?

The rest are hit or miss.

I've seen OVW tapes and Shelton was a good wrestler but not as good as he is today, Lesnar was good enough to do a SSP but he sucked at everything else including talking on the mic, Orton was an ok wrestler as long as he was being carried by Dinsmore, Conway or Rico (who was more than ready to be called up to the big leagues), Cena sucked more than he does today and big DAVE was OVW's version of Goldberg. I guess Benjamin is the only one so far to be a good worker on OVW and WWE.

Raw Ratings

This week's Raw scored a 3.6 cable rating. That is up from the low 4th of July rating last week, but down from the recent regular ratings. The show did hours of 3.3 and 3.8.

http://411mania.com/wrestling/news/newsboa...p?news_id=12093

Dear WWE,

Viewers are not psychic. They have no way ahead of time to know to tune in for some exciting stuff if you don't tell them. Maybe if you fuckers would advertise what people would be on the show, you'd get a better rating. In the last few weeks you sprung us with Hulk Hogan, Roddy Piper, and Matt Hardy, not to mention an unadvertised match between Ric Flair and Kurt Angle. The only time you gave us any warning was the week AFTER Hulk Hogan actually returned, and all you told us was to tune in to watch him be interviewed on the 4th of July. What else have you asked viewers to tune in for? The Diva Search and a Kane/Edge rematch. Yawn. As it stands right now, you're not capitalizing on your product's strenghts. Please pull your colelctive heads out of your asses and recognize your marketing strategy is counter-productive.

Sincerely,

Y2Jerk

P.S. Please continue to keep Triple H off of TV. The low ratings are NOT an indication he should return, although I'm sure when he does you'll hype the hell out of it.

I know it doesn't seem like a big thing, programming wise, but a lot of people watch the Home Run Derby that would normally tune in to Raw. If I'd remembered it was on, I probably would have missed the Hardy segment too.

And I totally disagree about the hyping up returns. While that strategy may pop a rating or two in the short term, in the long term, it accomplishes nothing. If they make an entertaining product and surprise the people who do watch with fresh turns, and interesting programming, the ratings will build steadily in the long term.

If they make an entertaining product and surprise the people who do watch with fresh turns, and interesting programming, the ratings will build steadily in the long term.

Why even have anyone return at all if they're not going to take full advantage of it?

I don't think anybody's sitting at home saying, "I'm going to watch Raw tonight because they might have a surprise guest."

I think people still assume that the big matches, like Flair vs. Angle, are going to be hyped ahead of time.

I doubt plastering "Matt Hardy Returns" on RAW promos and ww_.com would generate even half the buzz that his surprise return did. Everyone is talking about it. People are going to come out of the woodwork to watch next week's RAW. Telling people ahead of time would make people speculate about how things would go, and would definitely not be exciting as it transpired on Monday night.

Sure, you can hope that hyping returns will bring new viewers in, but as it stands, wrestling's viewership won't ever reach the Attitude era's numbers unless they start shaking things up and change the way they go about presenting their product. Bringing Matt back the way they did is a step in the right direction.