TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

The Official NHL Offseason Thread

We have John Grahame who (and this for nl5 specifically) has performed MUCH better down here than he did in Beantown but I dont feel comfortable giving him the starting nod I'd say we go after Cujo at this point.

Wouldnt go that far Max, he's been OUTSTANDING at times and is a very good back-up but I'm not gonna trust him as the No.1 goalie when Cujo is out there.

Back-up goalies are outstanding at times, since they only play rarely. Give Grahame #1 minutes and he'll disappoint by seemingly forgetting what he's in net to do. That's why I said he's a back-up at best.

I'm not disagreeing with that Max I just took issue with your AHL-er for life comment.

EDIT: Also if you want to make a case for Grahame, when the Bolts started to get really hot in January 04 it wasnt Khabby in net most of that month it was Grahame winning 7 out of 8 for that month or something like that.

Whats going to happen with Jocelyn Thiabault now. I'm positive he's gonna be shipped out somewhere? Possibly Pittsburgh or something.

I'll have to preface this with the admission that I'm a huge Graham mark. If I didn't have an unwritten rule about getting goalie sweaters, I'd have gotten a Graham sweater for sure ...

But I think that Graham could be a #1 goalie, but for a team that can score a ton of goals and doesn't need it's goalie to carry them. The Bolts could potentially be a team like that, so maybe Graham could be the #1. Having said that, though, with the talent the Lightning have, and the possibility of repeating as Cup champ, I don't know how much faith I'd have in Graham to carry me in the postseason if needed. A definite #2, with potential to be a #1. But, again, I'm wicked biased.

/would rather have Graham than Dafoe

a) I'm bummed about Roenick going out west, I was looking forward to booing the shit out of him for his idiotic comments a few weeks back.

b) smh, I'm most assuredly in the minority of B's fans that liked Grahame. I dug him because he had these little quirks that cracked me up (one game I was at that he was in net, the B's scored, and since it was just him on that end of the ice he ran and did pretty much a mosh-pit move into the corner ... just so random). Plus, he came across being such a party guy ... until he fucked up his leg in a stupid, drunken incident. Then his 'party guy' persona kind of lost some luster. But, all in all, I was a Grahame mark.

Man, this is like the biggest NHL news week since Gretzky went to LA, and it doesn't look like it's slowing down. The league is going to be very interesting next season.

So what's this about Kariya going to Edmonton? What's his contract status, still with the Avs? It seems that Colorado is focused on keeping Sakic and Blake.

Z, I'm pretty sure Kariya only signed a one year deal with the Avs, so is a UFA this season. And the origin/extent of the Kariya to the Oilers story is that their GM contacted his agent ... whether that means a formal contract's been offered or what, I don't know.

The Bruins picking up Kariya would certainly help my rage about them picking up Leetch and Khamnov at such over-priced salaries.

Of course, signing Thornton & Samsonov would help even more.

Apparently Edmonton is now targetting Kariya and CuJo might wind up in Pittsburgh which I would love since it'd be my favorite goalie playing with my favorite player(Mario).

And Ottawa STILL does nothing.  :angry:

I think Ottawa is mostly intact from 2003-04, so they really don't have much wiggle room...

Apparently Edmonton is now targetting Kariya and CuJo might wind up in Pittsburgh which I would love since it'd be my favorite goalie playing with my favorite player(Mario).

And Ottawa STILL does nothing.  :angry:

I think Ottawa is mostly intact from 2003-04, so they really don't have much wiggle room...

True. If Ottawa can bring everyone back, they'll still be pretty formidable, although Philly has caught up in every category except the one they're always weak in (goalie).

If they don't get their free agents signed, thoguh, they'll be in trouble...but there are fewer and fewer teams every day who can sign big free agents.

Philly has caught up in every category except the one they're always weak in (goalie).

I think Robert Esche is a damn good goalie. Also, Jay Feaster was just on local radio down here and pretty much said that while they will bring in another goalie, he implied that its John Grahame's job to lose.

Paul Kariya has just signed a deal with...

the Nashville Predators :huh:

Philly has caught up in every category except the one they're always weak in (goalie).

I think Robert Esche is a damn good goalie.

I think he's a very middle-of-the-road goalie who benefitted from a very good defense (5th in GAA but 16th in save %, and Philly allowed the sixth-fewest shots in 2003-04), and has the potential to win many games of the 4-3 or 6-4 variety.

I dont know how many times you actually saw him play but I watched Esche very closely for 7 games (Conference Finals) and caught him sporadically throught the rest of the season. The guy is very good and the best goalie Philly has had in a while and can see him (as much as I hate to admit it) carry the Flyers to at least the Finals.

I dont know how many times you actually saw him play but I watched Esche very closely for 7 games (Conference Finals) and caught him sporadically throught the rest of the season.

I saw a good number of his playoff games, and a few in the regular season. All I can say is, it's easy to look like a million bucks when your defense only allows 25 shots a game. A .915 save percentage isn't going to put you in the top part of this league. If he can post a .915 save percentage this season with the rule changes, then I'll be impressed. He's not terrible, but he's certainly not an elite goalie by any stretch.

The guy is very good and the best goalie Philly has had in a while

That's not saying anything. Philly's goaltending situation has been pretty shaky for about the last decade.

and can see him (as much as I hate to admit it) carry the Flyers to at least the Finals.

The Flyers are looking good to make the finals, but if the make it, it's going to be the snipers that carry them there.

saw a good number of his playoff games, and a few in the regular season. All I can say is, it's easy to look like a million bucks when your defense only allows 25 shots a game. A .915 save percentage isn't going to put you in the top part of this league. If he can post a .915 save percentage this season with the rule changes, then I'll be impressed. He's not terrible, but he's certainly not an elite goalie by any stretch.

I never called him an elite goalie but theres a couple of things to keep in mind. The Flyers defense was good but it wasnt like Brodeur in some of his best years. Esche still had to make 4-5 tough saves a night. Also with the parity that will likely exist this year in the NHL you may not have to be an elite goalie to win the cup, just get the job done. Anything over 91% is very good and I see Esche's style translating well to the opened up game since he has solid lateral movement.

That's not saying anything. Philly's goaltending situation has been pretty shaky for about the last decade.

Fair enough.

The Flyers are looking good to make the finals, but if the make it, it's going to be the snipers that carry them there.

Wrong. You still need a goalie to come up big in key situations and steal games by himself. Based on what I've seen Esche can do that, he may not be an "elite goalie" but the guy can win in the playoffs he showed that last year.

That sounds weird.

The Leafs signed Jason Allison.  Better than nothing, I guess.

would be a coup if he can stay healthy. put up great numbers in l.a for several years. concussions derailed his career & i always assumed his retirement was an immidiate reality.

Guest Olympic Slam

Kariya in Nashville? Yawn. I was really hoping the Sharks would get him. I'm betting Paul's washed up life-partner (Selanne) ends up with the Rangers by Wednesday.