TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

The Official NHL Offseason Thread

The Bruins quickly went out and got a defenseman to replace Gonchar and signed Brian Leetch.

"Hey, my nice car just broke down ... let me go and get a cheaper, older, less desirable one to replace it." The B's better be using the cash differential to sign another big name or 3.

Not that much cheaper. They're paying Leetch 4 mil.

Ugh ... thanks for reminding me. If you want, we can meet halfway between us and you can kick me in the groin. That's basically how pleased I am about the Leetch signing. Wasn't he healthy scratched at times in the playoffs last year?

Ugh ... thanks for reminding me. If you want, we can meet halfway between us and you can kick me in the groin. That's basically how pleased I am about the Leetch signing. Wasn't he healthy scratched at times in the playoffs last year?

Not at all, I dont think. In fact I think he was quite productive for the Leafs in the postseason. Yes he's older but I think he definitely has some juice left.

The Bruins quickly went out and got a defenseman to replace Gonchar and signed Brian Leetch.

"Hey, my nice car just broke down ... let me go and get a cheaper, older, less desirable one to replace it." The B's better be using the cash differential to sign another big name or 3.

Not that much cheaper. They're paying Leetch 4 mil.

Not at all. Leetch was awesome for the Leafs.

More signings from this morning:

- Scott Niedermayer settled on Anaheim (where his brother, also was resigned today, currently plays).

- Martin Lapointe was signed by the Blackhawks.

- Teppo Numminen is going to Buffalo.

Not at all, I dont think. In fact I think he was quite productive for the Leafs in the postseason. Yes he's older but I think he definitely has some juice left.

Not at all. Leetch was awesome for the Leafs.
Dammit, who am I thinking of then? I could swear that TO picked up an older guy that ended up barely playing or getting healthy scratched in the playoffs?

Was it Ronnie Francis?

Yeah, Francis.  He didn't do much.

Thanks, treble ... good to know that I'm not completely out of my mind for thinking that the Leafs had a geriatric watching from the press box that postseason.

I still feel that they overpaid for Leetch by about $2-million or so. But at least I feel a little better.

blackhawks got lapointe

peca to the oilers? my favorite player to my childhood team? wow. messier to play a final year with them? to win a cup with the oil.

zhamnov to the bruins? i've heard this.

neidermeyer bros. united in anaheim.

leetch was useless as a leaf. i'm shocked he didn't retire.

its funny watching t.o miss this entire process. they're going to have a really bad team if they don't make a big splash. supposedly they want jason allison - while although a great player - is in horrible condition. one more hit & he'll be retiring i'm sure. why do i have a weird feeling they'll end up signing eric lindros? haha.

the flyers won't do that well this year without consistent goaltending. rathje was a good pick up, but hatcher is washed up. too slow to contend with faster skaters. forsberg usually misses 30+ games a year.

whats up with the kings keeping their streak of having a bunch of concussed players on their roster? i love both j.r & the kings - so hopefully it'll work out.

now that the isles dumped peca & aucoin - two of ym favorites - they are dead to me. just trade dipietro to the oilers - then we'd be further in business.

the oilers (if you can still call them sleepers ) & blackhawks are gonna be sleepers this year.

Goaltending is the least of the Flyers worries, IMO. If they had named Esche the starter from day one last season (can we still use the term last season?) he would have been in the hunt to be a Vezina finalist and Niitymaki, if he isn't an elite goaltending prospect, is in a class right below it.

The problem I see the Flyers having is that sooooo much of their talent is at the center position. They have Forsberg, Carter, Handzus, Richards, and Primeau at center. When you see what they have on the wings it is not as impressive. Either players are going to have to move to the wings or they are going to have to bring in new players. Either way I worry about any transitions they might have there.

The Leafs can't afford to make any moves. If anything, they should try and set themselves up at one of the franchise FAs next year...guys like Thornton and Lecavalier will be unrestricted. I'd much rather have either of those guys over anyone left in the FA pool.

The Leafs only have about $10 million spent so far for the '06-'07 season, so they've set themselves up well for past this season. I still think they'll squeeze into the playoffs this year, though, but they're probably only the 4th best team in the division.

Yeah, Francis.  He didn't do much.

Thanks, treble ... good to know that I'm not completely out of my mind for thinking that the Leafs had a geriatric watching from the press box that postseason.

I think he was only benched for the last game or so of the Flyers' series, actually, but I think he was hurt or at least beat up and didn't do much when he was in the line-up.

I have a hard time viewing Domi as a real enforcer anymore ... in my eyes, Belak's been the tough guy on TO for the last few seasons.

Crikey, if the Oilers pick up Kariya to go along with Peca & Pronger, I'd be willing to say that they've have the best signing period of any team (and, yes, I know that not all these transactions are FA signings)

If CuJo goes to Pittsburgh it'll be helping out Fleury instead. I don't expect him to take more than a two year contract.

If Edmonton does sign Karyia, Colorado is going to be struggling.

Well its official

Khabibulin is now a Blackhawk.

Four years 27 million dollars.

Edited by redbaron51