TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

The Official NHL Offseason Thread

Amonte and Leclair, as we know have been bought out.

Reports on Monday indicate Phoenix has bought out Brian Savage, and Detroit is doing the same for Hatcher, Whitney and McCarty.

Discuss.

This is gonna me a crazy month.

They bought out D Mac? Man, I thought he was set for life in Detroit. He was like a folk hero there. Maybe not at Bob Probert levels but up there.

Well, most folk heroes started out as criminals.

Just announced the Nucks will offer a contract to Naslund.

If they could get him for short (and I mean very short) money, I wouldn't mind seeing McCarty putting on a spoked B and joining Lapointe as a 3rd liner on the Bruins.

If nothing else, it'd give me the chance to see Grinder play live.

Guest Olympic Slam

Man, all these geezers getting getting bought-out are going to have to take a pay-cut to play anywhere. Anyone over the age of 32 is being considered for a pink slip.

McCarty leaving Detroit is sad. That's my major gripe with a salary cap: teams will have to constantly toss out old favorites just to make cap room. Its really depressing because hockey already has huge player/coach/GM turnover rates. With a cap, be prepared to leave your player loyalties back in 2004 and to save a few bucks for a program.

I'm hoping that McCarty is brought back. One of my favorites, and as said before, a hero in Detroit. Hatcher, eh I can live without. Same with Whitney.

Hatcher is overrated.

Brisebois, and nl5 might kill me for this, I'd like to see wearing the black and gold. He's a good passer, is sound defensively, and might just need a change of scenery. Imagine getting a chance to shove it down Montreal's throat by actually playing a physical game? The B's have physicality, they need some good defensemen. They have a good opportunity here.

Savage is a good fit for a young team that needs veteran presence, like Atlanta or Columbus.

McCarty shocked me. He seemed to fit on that team forever, and I figured he'd retire there. I would think that a lot of teams would be lining up to sign him.

Whitney can fit anywhere.

Brisebois, and nl5 might kill me for this, I'd like to see wearing the black and gold. He's a good passer, is sound defensively, and might just need a change of scenery. Imagine getting a chance to shove it down Montreal's throat by actually playing a physical game? The B's have physicality, they need some good defensemen. They have a good opportunity here.

You just keep on thinking that.

Once the season starts, Breezer always proves those opinions wrong.

I'd really like to see the Penguins be able to pick up an ex-player or two. We've already got the wrecking bal lback so they can feel free to add Kovalev.

Ah Paris?

Breisbois is a person you want on the powerplay. Not a person bringing up the puck or on the penelty kill.

Breisbois playing physical, I thought he played bone-head?

I hate to say it ... but I thought the same thing, I really wouldn't mind it if the B's made Brisebois an offer. I'd rather they re-up Gonchar before going for any outsider d-men, though. Spend the money on Sergei first and formost, and then worry about picking up other team's castoffs.

I feel bad for Mac. At one point Detroit was my 2nd favourite team because of my love of Steve Yzerman. Who can forget that night against Colorado during one of the brawls where he gets into a fight and then comes back and scores the game winner in OT? I would love to see Darren in Edmonton but it'll be hard to see the guy without a Wings jersey on.

I hate to say it ... but I thought the same thing, I really wouldn't mind it if the B's made Brisebois an offer. I'd rather they re-up Gonchar before going for any outsider d-men, though. Spend the money on Sergei first and formost, and then worry about picking up other team's castoffs.

Well, they have a lot of other things to worry about...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=131529

They offered Joe, Gonchar, Axelsson (ugh), LaPointe and Sammy contracts. Gonchar is a MUST sign. I like LaPointe, but wouldn't shed a tear to see him go. He's been disappointing to say the least. Sammy is a must sign and Axelsson can screw off.

http://tsn.ca/news_story.asp?ID=131498&hubName=main

The Ducks have let it be known that the #2 pick is available.

I'd have no issue with them keeping Axelsson, as long as they kept him as a 4th liner ... he's not even that good on the checking line anymore, and he's so piss-poor offensively that he actually sucks the offensive skills away from his linemats, like a black hole. Pay him short money to play 5 minutes a game.

Lapointe was only signed to fuck with the Wings owner ... so let him go. I wouldn't have even have made him an offer. Let him play at home in Montreal or something, anywhere but Boston.

Samsonov, while I love him, hasn't done much to make me think he's a legit top-liner ... I'd rather they sign Muzz and trade Sammy (hmm, Sammy & the 22 pick for Anaheim's pick and a player?).

Thornton & Gonchar are definite keepers in my eyes, although the rumors of Sergei looking to go back to Washington keep popping up.

Dominik Hasek has been retained by Ottawa.

I'm still not convinced this is a good move.

It will be alright if he doesn't tear his groin five games into the season.

That's what I'm worried about. He turns 41 this season, and he hasn't exactly been the picture of health throughout his career. If he goes down, they're left with Prusek and Emery, neither of which is a proven NHL goaltender.

baron, I've actually debated when it's acceptable to change the sig ... I think I'm going to wait until Oct 5, since there's always a chance that SOMETHING will go wrong and the season will be canceled again.

BTW, I'm pretty sure I'm heading to MTL for the games in February and the two in April ... I don't think that you're local to Montreal, but do you ever head East for the games there?

Well with the Sens keeping Hasek, Smolinski and DeVries and having a #9 pick, I'd say we're one or two signings away from a cup. Le'ts pray to the gods that good ol' Gary Roberts is a Senator next season. Wouldn't mind seeing McCarty in Ottawa too.

Considering both Boston and Montreal are 10 hour drives each way, its hardly likely I'd be going anytime soon. I would love to back to Boston because I enjoyed myself there three years ago, and I have never been to Montreal before. I'm an hour and a bit from Toronto and 30 minutes from Buffalo, so I'd be seeing more of those teams instead, more so Buffalo because the gf is a Sabres fan.

Here's a question for the Boston fans here. We know Joe Thornton isn't happy in Beantown. Supposedly they offered him a five year deal for 25 million; 5 million a year, which is less his current post-rollback salary (tsn.ca has a story about this). Unless the Bruins up that, I doubt he'll sign long term...he'll either demand a trade, or sign a one year deal for 6-7 mil and then bolt when he's unrestricted.

So it seems like the Bruins might as well trade Thornton now instead of losing him as an unrestricted and getting nothing in return. Unfortunately everyone knows Thornton wants out so he probably won't get fair market value in return. Shitty deal for the B's.

But...there is another franchise player who has a much lower market value than he should. Todd Bertuzzi might be looking for a fresh start (and only playing in Colorado once every three years) after the whole Steve Moore thing. I imagine the B's would want more than just Bert, maybe an extra pick or an exchange of first rounders. Boston would get their 5 million dollar man, and Joe gets out of Boston.

If the choice really does end up between getting Bert or getting nothing when Thornton leaves as unrestricted, it actually doesn't seem that bad.

Seems like the end of an era now that LeClair is gone. They'll likely bring up some of the Phantoms to fill in, but reports are that they'll probably aim for one veteran defenseman. Clarke apparently wants to bring Malakhov back, but I'd like to see them make a run at Scott Niedermayer if possible...

They have been rumored to take a run at Niedermeyer. They will have a shot if they really want him. It appears the roster is pretty well filled out and they have about 7 million left to spend, which is just under the max (30% of the cap) that can be offered. I am sure someone will offer the absolute max, but at that point I don't think $200,000 would really make a difference if he wanted to go to Philly.

And don't be surprised to see the Flyers go after the no. 2 pick as supposedly they want Bobby Ryan.

They have been rumored to take a run at Niedermeyer. They will have a shot if they really want him. It appears the roster is pretty well filled out and they have about 7 million left to spend, which is just under the max (30% of the cap) that can be offered. I am sure someone will offer the absolute max, but at that point I don't think $200,000 would really make a difference if he wanted to go to Philly.

Remember, no one is gonna spend up to the 39 million dollar cap number, each team will have 2-3 million for minor league callups due to injury.