TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

The Official NHL Offseason Thread

How exactly would one manage their way out of a paper bag?

I once pondered the same thing aloud during a seminar about rap in a Grade 11 media class.

Also, Macinnis is set to retire.

Since when did he have seven, yes, seven 20 goal seasons?!

And 103 points for christ's sake in 90-91!

For the record, I have always beaten that "couldn't _______ his way out of a paper bag" joke into the ground.

And Al MacInnis may be one of the best offensive defenseman to play in this generation. Scott Niedermayer makes a run for it, but MacInnis was consistantly putting up big numbers, in some cases on par with top forwards in the league, and doing it from the point for god's sake.

EDIT: For s&g, let's play Keltner list: Al MacInnis

1. Was he ever regarded as the best player in hockey? Did anybody, while he was active, ever suggest that he was the best player in hockey? Never was the best player in hockey. Arguably one of the best defensemen in the league though.

2. Was he the best player on his team? Tough call. In Calgary, the case could be made that he was, but it wasn't definite. His last few years in Calgary might have been overshadowed by Theo Fleury and Rob Reichel. He came to St. Louis and had to deal with Gretzky (in the late stages of his career), Brett Hull, Pierre Turgeon and Chris Pronger. So, MacInnis has always played with pretty good talent.

3. Was he the best player in at his position? Was he the best player in the league at his position? I'd say yes on both. As far as his position, I'm defining it as offensive-defenseman.

4. Did he have an impact on a number of pennant races? Yes. MacInnis was a huge part of the 1988-89 Stanley Cup winning Calgary Flames team. He put up 31 points in 22 postseason games that year. He always had solid years for the Blues come playoff time as well.

5. Was he good enough that he could play regularly after passing his prime? MacInnis will be retiring at 42 years old. He last played in the league at the age of 41, however, missing all of what would be his last season with an eye injury.

6. Is he the very best player in history who is not in the Hall of Fame? No.

7. Are most players who have comparable statistics in the Hall of Fame? Yes. MacInnis is 28th all-time in points. Only Raymond Bourque and Paul Coffey rank higher in total points as a defenseman.

8. Do the player's numbers meet Hall of Fame standards?Absolutely. 3rd all-time in points by a defenseman. 6th all-time in games played by a defenseman.

9. Is there any evidence to suggest that the player was significantly better or worse than is suggested by his statistics? He played with good offensive and defensive talent for a good chunk of his career, allowing him to cheat up on offense (which is his strength).

10. Is he the best player at his position who is eligible for the Hall of Fame? Right now, yes.

11. How many MVP-type seasons did he have? Did he ever win an MVP award? If not, how many times was he close? He won the Conn Smythe (playoff MVP) in 1988-89 and the Norris Trophy in 1998-99 (outstanding defenseman). His career year was 1990-91, where he was bested for the Norris by Raymond Bourque. That year, he put up a career high in goals (28), assists (75)and points (103). Bourque was the better player that year, though.

12. How many All-Star-type seasons did he have? How many All-Star games did he play in? Did most of the players who played in this many All-Star games go into the Hall of Fame? He made 13 All-Star teams, playing in 12 games (he was injured in 2001). By comparison, Raymond Bourque was selected to 19 games and Coffey was selected to 12(?)(I think).

13. If this man were the best player on his team, would it be likely that the team could win the pennant? It's possible, since he was such a threat offensively and defensively.

14. What impact did the player have on history? Was he responsible for any rule changes? Did he introduce any new equipment? Did he change the game in any way? MacInnis didn't revolutionize anything except seemingly improving on a tough position to play; offensive defensman. It's hard to be good offensively and still be defensively responsible.

15. Did the player uphold the standards of sportsmanship and character that the Hall of Fame, in its written guidelines, instructs us to consider? As far as I know.

MacInnis is a lock.

both stevens & mcinnes are locks.

stevens:

13 all star games

3 stanley cups

1 conn smythe

+393 career plus/minus

ask eric lindros how stevens transformed the game. he crippled anyone who came down the middle with their head down. he was a vital part of the trap, as captain of the devils defense, that completely transformed the game. aside from brodeur, he was the most vital part of all the devils stanley cup runs. he's a guy who may get discredited because of his mediocre offensive showing, but i honestly think its elementary.

What about Scott Stevens? I mean he is a great blueliner and solid, but he never put up the points though.

Sure he did. Over 900 points for a defenseman is no small feat. He was pretty much an offensive defenseman until the last several years of his career where he was noted more for his physical play.

Agreed. Stevens decided that being a physical defenseman would work better with Niedermayer being much better that he at the offensive side.

1. Was he ever regarded as the best player in hockey? Did anybody, while he was active, ever suggest that he was the best player in hockey? I don't think so. Stevens was a game-changer because of his ability to seemingly change the momentum of a game with one big hit, but never considered the best player in the game.

2. Was he the best player on his team? I don't think so. In Washington, he shared ice with Mike Gartner (one of the most underrated players in NHL history), Larry Murphy and at the end of his time in Washington, Dino Ciccarelli. With the Blues, he had Brett Hull and Adam Oates. With the Devils, he was the best player on the team until 1993-94, when Martin Brodeur arrived.

3. Was he the best player in at his position? Was he the best player in the league at his position? No and no.

4. Did he have an impact on a number of pennant races? Yes. Stevens was captain for numerous Devils playoff runs.

5. Was he good enough that he could play regularly after passing his prime? Stevens retired at the age of 41. He last played at the age of 40, going out in January with post-concussion syndrome. Even when he was injured, he was one of the best defensemen in the league.

6. Is he the very best player in history who is not in the Hall of Fame? No.

7. Are most players who have comparable statistics in the Hall of Fame? Stevens ranks pretty low as far as statistics go. He tallied 908 points in 1635 games in his career (83rd all-time), which is nothing to sneeze at, but nothing jaw-dropping. He has played in the most games ever by a defenseman, and is fourth all-time in that stat. He is a career +393, which is absolutely tremendous.

8. Do the player's numbers meet Hall of Fame standards? Personally, I don't think he gets in on his numbers.

9. Is there any evidence to suggest that the player was significantly better or worse than is suggested by his statistics? Well, there's the neutral zone trap that made the Devils practically unbeatable until teams figured it out...

10. Is he the best player at his position who is eligible for the Hall of Fame? No.

11. How many MVP-type seasons did he have? Did he ever win an MVP award? If not, how many times was he close? As good a defenseman as he was, Stevens never won a Norris trophy. He was the Conn Smythe winner in 1999-00 after leading the Devils to their second Cup.

12. How many All-Star-type seasons did he have? How many All-Star games did he play in? Did most of the players who played in this many All-Star games go into the Hall of Fame? Stevens made 14 All-Star teams, playing in 13 games (missed his last one due to PCS)

13. If this man were the best player on his team, would it be likely that the team could win the pennant? It's certainly possible. He was the best player on the 1991-92 Devils that made the playoffs, but lost to the Rangers in seven games.

14. What impact did the player have on history? Was he responsible for any rule changes? Did he introduce any new equipment? Did he change the game in any way? Stevens was on a team that made the neutral zone trap a force in the NHL. Stevens changed the game by constantly reminding players to keep their head up while handling the puck.

15. Did the player uphold the standards of sportsmanship and character that the Hall of Fame, in its written guidelines, instructs us to consider? As far as I know, Stevens was a stand-up man.

Stevens is a great player. But, I think he's borderline. I think he'll get in, but it might be tough.

So long, Mess.

Hate to say it, but I'm glad he's retiring in the Big Apple. I really thought of him more as a Ranger than an Oiler, as badly as I feel saying that.

The Leafs have also signed blueliner Brad Brown.

How's everyone feel about their H2H teams?

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=135880

This I don't understand. Kovalchuk is one of the better offensive players under 25 in the NHL (He's 22!). Basically, the Thrashers have until the opening night of the season to sign him to a contract for this season. After that, he has to clear waivers.

Waddell says that they want him in Atlanta, but I don't really see that coming from them. They seem to be trying to avoid paying money to their elite players, seemingly hoping for them to sign for peanuts.

Does anyone want to predict/guess how the teams will do this season?

Eastern Conference

Ottawa

Philadelphia

Tampa Bay

Montreal

Toronto

New Jersey

Pittsburgh

Boston

--------------

Buffalo

Florida

Carolina

NY Islanders

NY Rangers

Washington

Atlanta

Western Conference

Vancouver

Detroit

San Jose

Edmonton

Calgary

Colorado

Dallas

Nashville

-------------

St Louis

Chicago

Los Angeles

Minnesota

Phoenix

Anaheim

Columbus

I love my H2H team. What about the rest of u guys.

Other than getting stuck with Forsberg - who I really doubt will play more than 60 games this year - I'm pretty pleased. If anyone wants an injury prone Swede, I know of when that's more than available for the right price.

Stahl, how can you think the Bruins are going to finish 4th in the Northeast?!? The only team that I see as being any real competition for them - in the regular season, at least - is the Sens. TO is worse now than they were last year, and Montreal didn't necessarily improve, either.

Montreal is basically returning the same team that they had prior to the lockout. Except for Radek Bonk. I can't see that making for the #4 seed in the East.

Stahl, how can you think the Bruins are going to finish 4th in the Northeast?!? The only team that I see as being any real competition for them - in the regular season, at least - is the Sens. TO is worse now than they were last year, and Montreal didn't necessarily improve, either.

Just a feeling really. On paper they are a better team but I think they will underachieve this year.

I've noticed that there are 13 teams in the roto league, that isn't going to affect anything is it?

Peter Bondra signed with the Thrashers. Still no word on Kovalchuk.

And no, you can have any number of teams in the roto league, because it doesn't rely on pairing off teams each week. It's a season-long ranking of performance in various statistical categories.