TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

I thought it was nice of Hillary to tell the kid who sold his bike/video games for her campaign that his $422 won the day in Kentucky. Bill drew a big crowd in my hometown yesterday but we're a college town so a lot of people that went were going to vote for Obama today (not that it helped him much). I wanted to go but couldn't due to some job interviews.

I'm positively sick and tired of hearing Clinton claim she is winning the popular vote. Really goes to show that politicians believe if they repeat a lie often enough someone will believe it. If she somehow got the nomination, she wouldn't get to cherry-pick which states counted and which ones didn't in the electoral college.

I thought it was nice of Hillary to tell the kid who sold his bike/video games for her campaign that his $422 won the day in Kentucky. Bill drew a big crowd in my hometown yesterday but we're a college town so a lot of people that went were going to vote for Obama today (not that it helped him much). I wanted to go but couldn't due to some job interviews.

Doesn't that kid know math?

I'm positively sick and tired of hearing Clinton claim she is winning the popular vote. Really goes to show that politicians beleive if they repeat a lie often enough someone will believe it. If she somehow got the nomination, she wouldn't get to cherry-pick which states counted and which ones didn't in the electoral college.

What's also funny is that Clinton is using an argument based on the Electoral College, while ignoring the fact that an Obama-McCain race would probably reshape the map and put new states in play. Also, its ironic since Clinton used to oppose the Electoral College several years ago...

1. Chuck Todd made the point on MSNBC earlier that 115 of the remaining 212 superdelegates (by their count) are from states Obama won. Its doubtful he'll have any trouble getting their support in the end.

2. I think a fair compromise in the Florida issue would be to just strip them of their superdelegates, but leave the popular vote intact. I have no idea how Michigan could be handled, except splitting pledged delegates 50/50 and stripping them of their superdelegates.

3. MSNBC contributor Michelle Bernard is a sexy, sexy woman.

Guest Vitamin X
Damn...that was fast.

Clinton takes Kentucky, CNN projects

I wasn't able to stop the tide. VX will probably be more successful than I was.

Yeah, Oregon's got your back, buddy.

Also, at the same time tonight that we were having our primaries, we also had our mayor's races, and something that's rather historically significant on a national level came out of that: Sam Adams, a city commissioner running for mayor here, appears to have a huge lead and will probably become the first openly gay mayor of a major U.S. city.

Damn...that was fast.

Clinton takes Kentucky, CNN projects

I wasn't able to stop the tide. VX will probably be more successful than I was.

Yeah, Oregon's got your back, buddy.

Also, at the same time tonight that we were having our primaries, we also had our mayor's races, and something that's rather historically significant on a national level came out of that: Sam Adams, a city commissioner running for mayor here, appears to have a huge lead and will probably become the first openly gay mayor of a major U.S. city.

Yes! Sam Adams!

Dis nigga voted for Barack AND Sam Adams. God bless vote by mail.

I didn't know Sam Adams was gay. Not sure how since I read every issue of Willamette Weekly and they talk about him all the damn time. He does look kinda fruity though. Not surprising he won.

In other news I failed to get my ballot in for the second straight year. Of course the only votes I filled in were Obama and Steve Novick, who is 4'9" and has a fucking hook for a hand. He ended up losing by 20,000 votes.

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah, I voted for Novick as well. Pissed that he lost; Merkley's a jackass and just yesterday they showed Novick had a double digit lead on him in the polls. Either way though, whoever gets the nomination is better than Gordon fucking Smith.

EDIT: Plus, Novick had one of the best political ads I've seen!

And his campaigners wore shirts that said "Hooked on Novick".

I don't know if it was his call or anything, The Decemberists are just the biggest band from Portland right now... probably.

SIXTEEN MILITREEEEEEEEE WIIIIIIIIIIVES

Geraldine Ferraro has officially lost her FUCKING MIND.

Asking Hillary Clinton tough questions = media sexism.

Obama saying negative things about Hillary Clinton = campaign sexism.

Saying someone only got where they are because they're black = legitimate political discourse.

Ferrarro is one of those demented progressive liberals who felt that it was finally time to "have a woman president" just basically for the sake of "having a woman president."

ABC News' Ron Claiborne and Bret Hovell Report: Three elected officials widely rumored to be under consideration for the Republican vice presidential nomination will spend part of their Memorial Day weekend at the McCain compound in Sedona, Arizona, according to a campaign official.

Gov. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana, Gov. Charlie Christ of Florida, and former Gov. Mitt Romney of Massachusetts have all been invited to spend some leisure time with presumptive Republican presidential nominee, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/20...ns-veepsta.html

It seems the only "change" that McCain is bringing to the table is the changing of his stance on issue after issue.....

Source: Obama starts VP search

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Barack Obama is quietly beginning his search for a running mate, according to a veteran Democratic activist in Washington.

The activist told CNN that former Fannie Mae CEO Jim Johnson has accepted Obama's request to begin a screening and selection process for the No. 2 spot.

Johnson performed the same role in 2004 and 1984 for then-Democratic presidential nominees John Kerry and Walter Mondale.

The activist, a party operative who has been involved in Democratic presidential campaigns and conventions for more than 20 years, said the process is "at a very early point" but that campaign workers "have been informally thinking about it for a while."

Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton declined to comment on the report.

When asked if he had any criteria for a vice presidential nominee, Obama said, "No criteria right now. I am going back down to Florida. I still have to win the nomination."

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a California Democrat, was surprised Thursday to hear the news.

Although Obama is the Democratic front-runner, and has captured a majority of pledged delegates after Tuesday's Kentucky and Oregon primaries, he has not clinched the 2,025 delegates needed to win the nomination against Sen. Hillary Clinton.

Despite the math, Clinton has vowed to remain in the race.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a California Democrat, was surprised Thursday to hear Obama has started a search.

"I did not know that Sen. Obama had started his search for vice president ... but again, when it comes to vice presidents I am not giving any advice unless asked about it by the candidates," she said.

"I think, though, that Hillary Clinton and Sen. Obama, both having a good chance to win the nomination, probably started thinking about who his or her running mate might be, what transition teams they might have, whether they should be briefed by the White House ... on issues of concern to our country," Pelosi said.

McCain, meanwhile, will meet this weekend with two governors and a former primary rival long rumored to be on his vice presidential shortlist, according to The New York Times and confirmed by CNN.

Republican Govs. Charlie Crist of Florida and Bobby Jindal of Louisiana, and former Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney will visit McCain at his home in Arizona.

Campaign advisers downplayed the visits, saying the McCains were hosting 18-20 supporters to show thanks for their support.

Other guests, according to an adviser, include Kansas senator and former Republican presidential candidate Sam Brownback, former eBay CEO Meg Whitman, FedEx founder Fred Smith and senior adviser Charlie Black.

McCain has said he has no timetable on his search for a running mate, but has a list of 20 prospects. Black said McCain "is definitely not interviewing anyone, and this weekend is not about that process."

He later told Borger that "it would be kind of hard to interview vice presidential candidates while you're grilling."

CNN's Jessica Yellin, Ed Hornick and Rebecca Sinderbrand contributed to this report.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/05/22/oba...arch/index.html

The Nightmare Ticket Is Dead

By Al Giordano

The Field can now confirm, based on multiple sources, something that both campaigns publicly deny: that Senator Clinton has directly told Senator Obama that she wants to be his vice presidential nominee, and that Senator Obama politely but straightforwardly and irrevocably said “no.” Obama is going to pick his own running mate based on his own criteria and vetting process.

http://ruralvotes.com/thefield/?p=1248

This makes sense looking at the past few weeks: 'white americans' comment aside, she's been a lot nicer about him and laid off the negative attacks and seemd to be on the verge of conceeding, probably because she thought she could get the vp spot. Then suddely after winning Kentucky she was talking about taking it to the convetion again. I think now if she gives up she gets nothing.

As for Obama he may regret saying no. Particularly if she does take it to the convention on the Michigan/Florida arguement which she's now comparing to slavery http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_plank/a...ida-gambit.aspx

The only problem of Clinton fighting till the convention (which I knew would happen a long time ago because you really think she's going to quit?) is I don't see party leaders standing for it. Does she have the right? Sure, but I just do not see a lot of the party leaders/super delegates willing to let her make a war out of their happy little convention on national television. As a result, she might come to the convention looking for a fight but by that point a lot of the party will have unified behind Obama and will silence most of her arguments out of the gate. At least that's what the Democrats would do if they were smart...

which means Denver is going to be chaos.

If Obama has the right number of superdelegates after the primaries are over and the Michigan/Florida issue is settled (and that's a big "if"), she'll pretty much universally be seen as a sore loser.

If Obama has the right number of superdelegates after the primaries are over and the Michigan/Florida issue is settled (and that's a big "if"), she'll pretty much universally be seen as a sore loser.

One of her spokesmen pointed out that the SDs don't actually count till the convention (which is true as far as I know). So, she could drag this out and hope some big scandal happens to Obama and causes all the SDs to change their mind in Denver.

One of her spokesmen pointed out that the SDs don't actually count till the convention (which is true as far as I know). So, she could drag this out and hope some big scandal happens to Obama and causes all the SDs to change their mind in Denver.

Yes, that's true.

What I meant was that if she stays in past that point I was talking about, even though the superdelegates COULD change their minds, public opinion would quickly turn against her.

Yes, that's true.

What I meant was that if she stays in past that point I was talking about, even though the superdelegates COULD change their minds, public opinion would quickly turn against her.

I doubt she cares.

Hillary is basically Ted Kennedy circa 1980, right now. She knows everyone will blame her if she stays in and Obama goes on to lose the GE, but she's convinced he can't win anyway, so she has to whatever it takes and that means going to the convention.

Mark me, if she stays in once Obama gets past the magic number 2065 or 2209 or whatever it is, MI and FL or whatever...

I really hope the media starts blatently ignoring her like Mike Gravel II

Mccain rejected Hagee's endorsement today after some old comments Hagee made about Hitler doing God's work came out. I knew the republicans would regret going after Obama's pastor. They've declared open season on themselves now.

The thought of every politician in Washington now having to do an extensive background check on the pastor/preist before they join a church just to make sure they havn't said anything offensive is quite amusing to me.

Sign in to follow this