TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

The only good president is a black president!

Someone tell that to the people of Zimbabwe.....

Dude, that's a nice pipe dream... but it's never going to disappear as long as they keep teaching future generations about how to dissect people into groups.

What's this "they" shit?

"They" had it imposed on them.

To use a metaphor, we broke their legs and are now mad at them for not being able to walk.

I'm pretty optimistic about Obama's chances, as long as McCain's getting slammed for stuff like this...

McCain claims he "supported every investigation" into the government's role regarding the hurricane, when in fact he twice voted against an independent commission.

Summary

McCain was asked by a New Orleans reporter why he voted twice against an independent commission to investigate the government’s failings before and after Hurricane Katrina, and he incorrectly stated that he had "voted for every investigation."

McCain actually voted twice, in 2005 and 2006, to defeat a Democratic amendment that would have set up an independent commission along the lines of the 9/11 Commission. At the time of the second vote, members of both parties were complaining that the White House was refusing requests by Senate investigators for information.

The McCain campaign accused the Obama campaign of "tired negative attacks" for pointing out and documenting McCain’s gaffe.

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/ka..._kerfuffle.html

...and this...

In his remarks prepared for tonight -- his first speech as the future Democratic nominee -- Obama tries, as you might expect, to tie McCain to President Bush as closely as possible. And one of the ways he does that is to note that McCain voted in support of Bush's policies 95 percent of the time in 2007 -- a statistic that comes from CQ's annual vote studies.
http://blogs.cqpolitics.com/beyond/2008/06...ng-records.html

...and the attacks will stick.

On the one hand, you have stuff that I just cited, and the best counter-attack is that his former pastor hates America, he doesn't always wear a flag pin, and that his father might have once been a Muslim. It is kind of hard to take the never-ending repetition of "America-hating liberal" seriously when weighed against McCain's record as a senator and major proponent of the Iraq War (undermined once again by the new Senate Intelligence Committee report).

Clinton endorses Obama, calls for party unity

Story Highlights

NEW: Clinton endorses former rival Sen. Obama for president

Clinton camp says 6,000 signed up to attend speech

Analysts say Sen. Hillary Clinton must choose next steps carefully

Poll: Only 60 percent of Clinton supporters say they will vote for Obama

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Sen. Hillary Clinton said Saturday "we need to do all we can" to help elect Sen. Barack Obama the next president of the United States.

"The way, the way to continue our fight now, to accomplish the goals for which we stand is to take our energy, our passions, our strengths and do all we can to help elect Barack Obama, the next president of the United States," she said at the National Building Museum in Washington.

"Today, as I suspend my campaign, I congratulate him on the victory he has won and the extraordinary race he has run. I endorse him and throw my full support behind him. and I ask all of you to join me in working as hard for Barack Obama as you have for me."

Earlier, she said "this isn't exactly the party I planned, but I surely like the company and I want to start today by saying how grateful I am to all of you ... to all those women in their 80s and their 90s born before women who could vote who cast their votes [this year]"

"I will continue to stand strong with you ... the dreams we share are worth fighting for," she added.

Clinton's campaign tells CNN that 6,000 people signed up on the New York senator's Web site to attend the speech.

Obama will not attend the event. He will spend Saturday in Chicago, Illinois.

A CNN poll released Friday shows that the party is divided after a primary season that stretched over nearly 18 months and 57 contests.

Sixty percent of Clinton supporters said they would vote for Obama, but 17 percent said they would vote for Sen. John McCain, the presumptive Republican nominee and Obama's rival in the general election. Nearly one-quarter, 22 percent, said they would not vote at all if Clinton were not the Democrats' nominee.

The poll's margin of error was plus or minus 7.5 percentage points. The poll was conducted after Obama clinched the Democratic nomination Tuesday.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/07/cli...nity/index.html

The article goes on to talk about Clinton as a VP candidate. Given that Obama does have a political problem with older women, though I don't think it is as dire as the polling suggests, the obvious/easiest thing to do is appoint a qualified woman as his running mate. Unfortunately, the media...demonstrating is usual collective amnesia...has completely forgotten Hillary Clinton is not the only woman in America qualified to hold national office. And if McCain picks a female running mate, how much of Clinton's supporters will that attract? McCain has a huge advantage here because the Republican Convention is later than the Democrats'. He can wait and see what Obama does before counter-nominating accordingly.

Guest Vitamin X

Fucking FINALLY. It was slightly crazy to stay in the race against all odds, but what crossed the line was giving a speech on Tuesday when Sen. Obama decisively and clearly clinched the nomination, but not conceding her campaign.

Sixty percent of Clinton supporters said they would vote for Obama, but 17 percent said they would vote for Sen. John McCain, the presumptive Republican nominee and Obama's rival in the general election. Nearly one-quarter, 22 percent, said they would not vote at all if Clinton were not the Democrats' nominee.

This is actually pretty encouraging. The only number that matters there is the 17% that said they would vote for Sen. McCain, but that's peanuts compared to the side that's sticking with the Democrats. This is going to be a very interesting GE, and I can't wait to see the debates if Tuesday's speeches are any indication.

Dude, that's a nice pipe dream... but it's never going to disappear as long as they keep teaching future generations about how to dissect people into groups.

What's this "they" shit?

"They" had it imposed on them.

To use a metaphor, we broke their legs and are now mad at them for not being able to walk.

Racism is institutionalized as a practice. The very nature of racism, the definition and categorization of people into races, is common.

You guys know in order to accomplish what I was saying... you would have to pretty much ignore most of our history. Which is why it would never work.

So do you have a more pragmatic solution?

The problem is that our collective mindset has been so focused on the schisms of race, which just do not exist in the first place, that it would be nearly impossible to have a paradigm shift on a large scale in a short amount of time.

People really over rate the power of a statement like: "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it". And while there may be some merit to the idea it is much weaker than say a point of view like "Those who can not forgive history will live in it forever". But just you TRY and wipe the slate clean.

People really over rate the power of a statement like: "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it". And while there may be some merit to the idea it is much weaker than say a point of view like "Those who can not forgive history will live in it forever". But just you TRY and wipe the slate clean.

My response to that is the quote from Bobby Kennedy:

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”

In other news...

Minnesota Democratic Party endorses Al Franken

(CNN) — Former comedian Al Franken, whose bid for the U.S. Senate in Minnesota was threatened by controversy over jokes from his past, won a crucial endorsement from the state Democratic party Saturday.

The DFL Convention endorsed Franken unanimously on the first ballot in Rochester, Saturday, after rival Jack Nelson-Pallmeyer conceded the vote to him and urged the party to unanimously back him. Nelson-Pallmeyer’s withdrawal means Franken will likely not face a major primary challenger, and will be expected to face Republican incumbent Sen. Norm Coleman in November.

The former "Saturday Night Live" writer drew criticism from political rivals in recent weeks for off-color jokes during his career, including an essay in “Playboy” Magazine a decade ago.

In his speech before the state convention, Franken told the crowd, “I’ve had some tough conversations this week. It kills me that things I said and wrote sent a message to some of my friends in this room and people in this state that they can’t count on me to be a champion for women, a champion for all Minnesotans, in this campaign and in the Senate”

He said, “I’m sorry for that. Because that’s not who I am”.

Franken apologized for the content of some of his material in the past, saying “for 35 years, I was a writer. I wrote a lot of jokes. Some of them weren’t funny. Some of them were inappropriate. Some of them were downright offensive. I understand that. And I understand that the people of Minnesota deserve a Senator who won’t say things that make them uncomfortable. But I’m in this race because there are some people in Washington who could afford to feel a little less comfortable.”

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/...cratic-primary/

Czech------>scannersexplodinghead.gif

....What? I wasn't talking about wiping the slate clean in regards to history. That's one of the problems, you just can't do that.

Even worse than Humphrey.

If you mean Bobby, we're gonna have some words.

This ad is awesomely dishonest...

First of all, WTF is is "Street organizer"? He was a community organizer, but that was BEFORE he went to law school. And is a senior class lecturer anything like...I don't know, a LAW PROFESSOR?

Second, is a part-time state senator anything like a part-time president?

Do they really get to keep cutting Obama's time as a senator down to only one year, when it was 2 years after he became a senator he declared he was running, and it'll be four years by the time he takes office?

He's gotten more than one law passed, and has introduced bills that were either blocked by senate Republican or vetoes by the president...its not like he was sitting around doing nothing.

But, hey, it says right on his resume he "avoided" tough votes on abortion, guns, and crime...because its not like he's taken public positions on either issue, right?

"Hi, I'm John McCain. I hate war, but that won't stop me from starting them."

Actually, I think the McCain ad is fairly effective for the message it's trying to get across. It distances him from Bush while still giving the "I'm going to keep you safe" message.

Actually, I think the McCain ad is fairly effective for the message it's trying to get across. It distances him from Bush while still giving the "I'm going to keep you safe" message.

Saying only 'a fool or fraud could talk romantically about war' is definetly a dig at Bush. Bush has described seeing soldiers as having an 'adventure' and being 'envious' of them once or twice.

There should have been no confusion as to what I meant up there. Hubert Humphrey is one of the worst polticians to ever emerge from the shitswamp. I am a big fan of Bobby Kennedy, his Indy speech might be the single greatest in American history, and Schlesinger's book remains the best piece of non-fiction I've read.

There should have been no confusion as to what I meant up there. Hubert Humphrey is one of the worst polticians to ever emerge from the shitswamp. I am a big fan of Bobby Kennedy, his Indy speech might be the single greatest in American history, and Schlesinger's book remains the best piece of non-fiction I've read.

I like Hubert Humphrey (because he was a civil rights pioneer, not because he stole the 1968 nomination and sucked as a presidential candidate), and I'll agree Franken doesn't measure up to him.

I have no idea why we're discussing Humphrey right now.

Snuffbox is still upset over LBJ robbing his boy Barry G. of the presidency in '64, it's only natural that some of his rage should be directed at the then-VP.

So. Looks like it's McCain 08 for me.

Why is that?

Maybe because of McCain's record of voting with the Bush Administration 95% of the time in 2007?

Maybe because of McCain's history of voting against the Katrina investigation, then lying about it?

Maybe because of McCain's open endorsement of the overturning of Roe v. Wade?

Maybe because of McCain's ridiculous economic proposals?

Maybe because of McCain's continued support for the Iraq War?

Maybe because of McCain's apparent complete misunderstanding of Iran's government?

Just a few hypotheses I have on why someone would support John McCain.

In case you need to keep track of the smear campaigns from stupid and racist Clinton supporters, somebody already the work for you:

http://clintons4mccain.com/

You gotta love a site that uses "stoptheaclu.com" as a source, brings up the non-scandal with Rezko, and touts the Ayers connection that only Hannity would touch.

Sign in to follow this