TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

McCain says Obama wants to forfeit war in Iraq

LIMA, Ohio - Republican presidential candidate John McCain, who has contended that Barack Obama is willing to lose in Iraq to win the election, on Thursday said his rival would forfeit the war as part of an agenda that also promotes big government and high taxes.

McCain told those gathered for a town hall meeting that Obama is a talented orator with an agenda that could be boiled down to simple policies the Arizona Republican opposes.

"Government is too big, he wants to grow it. Taxes are to high, he wants to raise them," McCain said. "Congress spends too much and he proposes more. We need more energy and he's against producing it. We're finally winning in Iraq, and he wants to forfeit."

McCain's criticism came before he was to travel to Wilmington to discuss possible job losses, as many as 8,000, from the proposed closure of a DHL shipping site, the result of a corporate merger aided by his campaign manager during his work as a lobbyist.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080807/ap_on_el_pr/mccain_dhl

First of all, promising less government spending during a recession is a monumentally dumb move.

Second, there's no great demand for lower taxes right now. The public knows this war is running us hundreds of billions in debt.

Third, between his campaign manager being partially responsible for the loss of 8,000 jobs at DHL, and his former chief economic advisor being partially responsible for the mortgage crisis, I doubt anyone's going to listen to anything this man has to say about the economy.

And fourth, as far as Iraq goes, do you think McCain has heard the latest news?

John McCain's proposals are so out of touch with reality, I honestly wish Obama would take him up on his debate proposal just to debunk how stupid they are in person. McCain's ideas are so flimsy, the second Obama's people start airing attack ads against them, Obama will be looking at a double-digit lead easily!

Don't get your hopes up though, this is kind of a big deal. I'd suppose that Obama would want a New Frontier kind of cabinet, and I doubt that he'd kick it off with an adulterer.

I had long predicted that Johnboy would be Obama's AG, if he wins. I scratched that when the hilarious Enquirer story broke a couple weeks ago.

Nice to know it took the mainstream press NINE MONTHS to break this story when the National Enquirer was already publishing stuff about it in December weeks before the Iowa caucus. This pretty much dooms Edwards political future both short and long-term because cheating on a wife who is fighting cancer is definitely not good.

The National Enquirer published that he'd fathered children out of wedlock, which was not true.

We live in post-Bill Clinton America. An extramarital affair is not that big of a deal.

Uh, to you, me, and the rest of the board it's not, but to the rest of America it most definitely is.

Guest Cal Moriarty

I don't think it's the affair itself that concerns a lot of people, but for those who had already found Edwards to tend toward slimy and disingenuous, the delayed admission of guilt does nothing to prove otherwise.

The wife with cancer thing probably bothers a few people. Me, for one. While it is a family matter, I tend to not have respect for adults who can not, even under intense scrutiny and within a position of respect, control their adolescent urges. The constant lying isn't a trait I care for in a leader, either.

To be fair, the affair occured before her most recent bout with the disease. However, the affair did occur recently and with someone they hired to document his campaign for president.

Republicans would be wise not to make a big deal out of this considering John McCain's marital history, though.

Republicans would be wise not to make a big deal out of this considering John McCain's marital history, though.

To be fair to McCain (who I'm no fan of) 1.) He's crippled too, and 2.) Isn't there a high divorce rate among war vets?

Edwards was in the race, he has pledged delegates, would have given a major speech at the convention and, probably, would have been in Obama's cabinet had he won in November.

In today's political arena it is dificult to believe that not too many years ago a man could be so impressed by a presidential candidate's words that he was converted to the office-seeker's candidacy.

From Jackson Benson's biography of John Steinbeck (1984) in reference to Steinbeck's conversion to Adlai Stevenson from Ike Eisenhower in 1952.

To be fair to McCain (who I'm no fan of) 1.) He's crippled too, and 2.) Isn't there a high divorce rate among war vets?

I don't think either thing is fair game, but there are going to be comparisons if Republicans were to go down that road.

And you're believing Edwards that it was only 2006, why?

Is anyone claiming otherwise?

I'm not naive enough to think this was his only affair, though, if that's what you're implying.

The Enquirer (of Gary Hart fame) is claiming, and has proven, that Edwards spent a night with his mistress just a few weeks ago. This is 2008, for the record.

The Enquirer (of Gary Hart fame) is claiming, and has proven, that Edwards spent a night with his mistress just a few weeks ago. This is 2008, for the record.

Jesus Christ...granted, it's The Enquirer, but still, Jesus Christ.

Sign in to follow this