TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise

They later killed the dog.

ELBOW PATCHES. Hey, I didn't know Hoff was Mike Huckabee's son.

McCain with a bold statement. But McCain is a bold guy.

... Is bold the right word?

In all honesty, my interest in this campaign has skyrocketed overnight. After feeling that the two candidates were basically resigned to Clinton and Giuliani/Romney, seeing Obama coming out of the Democrats has sparked my interest, as well as Huckabee with the Democrats.

Huckabee isn't exactly my guy on the issues, but (after reading about 10 pages back) I don't see him having the Glass Jaw that the Dems think he might have. He was talking to Olbermann and Matthews last night after his win and he came off as eloquent, charming, and quick-witted. I think that he'll be able to write off the whole Gay/AIDS comment much easier than people think, especially with people not reacting to negative campaigning like they have been in years past. If he doesn't win the Nomination, he'd make a great VP for the winner. A McCain/Huckabee ticket would definitely come off as a different type of Republican team than years past, while still having strong enough ties to its base to not lose them. That's dangerous.

Of course, if Obama can gain the nomination, he's a much different Democrat than we've seen in years past. He's not lifeless, old, or associated with the "Old" part of the Democratic Party like Kerry and Clinton are right now. The guy has "The Look", and he's hands-down the best speech-giver of the candidates. Even if you are a cynic, he makes you want to believe in him. I think Scarborough said it on one of MSNBC's round-tables, but he compared the speech to Reagan's in 1964 and Bobby Kennedy's after MLK's death. The guy has charisma and a great message (Yeah, the whole "Change" thing is played out, but the whole "Unity" deal is something I think everyone can relate to), and he hasn't let anyone define him, not even his own party. He's not like Kerry, whose people called him John F. Kerry to try and leach charisma off a guy who has been dead for 44 years. He's an honest-to-God exciting candidate.

And while Hillary may not be officially dead, I think that all there needs to be is the declaration. Same with Romney. The Media is just hammering them into the ground right now, and even with their financial backing, I don't think that is what the people want nowadays. We've become a LOT more cynical across the board nowadays, and a lot more people are looking to the internet to find things about the candidates. Negative Ads don't work like they used to, and really, I think the more money you have in the primary just creates more of a liability to your image (Until the General Election, of course).

Anyone else feel really excited about the upcoming weeks and months?

I can think of a few, much better, alternatives to "bold"

How can anybody compare Obama's speech to what Kennedy said in Indianapolis? It was a great speech, yes, but Kennedy's words that night are far beyond 'great speech'.

I like Obama. But I really can't shake the awful feeling that by voting for him a lot of people are signing his death warrant. Obviously, it's a risk he's willing to take, so more power to him, but, man, there are a lot of nutjobs who are not going to like this.

Maybe because he conjures up comparisions of JFK or MLK. I can just totally visualise something bad happening and him becoming some sort of martyr.

Nah, they're just electing him. He's going to win this whole thing, you know, and nobody is actually going to get away with assassinating him.

A part of me wonders why people are worried about signing his death warrant by voting for them. This is America. You shouldn't let unrealistic fears keep you from voting for whoever you want. This isn't the Middle East.

A part of me wonders why people are worried about signing his death warrant by voting for them. This is America. You shouldn't let unrealistic fears keep you from voting for whoever you want. This isn't the Middle East.

It wouldn't stop me voting for him or anything like that. But it is something that concerns me as his campaign gains momentum. Looking at how early he got secret service protection, it's obviously a valid concern for a lot of other people as well.

Against whom? Psycho white guys?

Clinton declares herself candidate for young voters

WASHINGTON - It wasn't long ago that Hillary Rodham Clinton's campaign scoffed at the notion that young voters would deliver an election. How quickly thing can change.

Just seconds into her speech Friday morning, Clinton was declaring herself the candidate for America's youth — stealing a page from the new Democratic presidential front-runner, Barack Obama. The night before, the under-30 crowd came out in larger numbers than ever in Iowa caucuses normally dominated by the AARP-card set, delivering victory for the Illinois senator who promised to bring change to Washington.

That's why after her third-place finish in Iowa, Clinton got off her plane in New Hampshire and declared: "This is especially about all of the young people in New Hampshire who need a president who won't just call for change, or a president who won't just demand change, but a president who will produce change, just like I've been doing for 35 years."

"I'm running for president to reclaim the future — the future for all of us, of all ages, but particularly for young Americans," she said a few seconds later.

Hillary couldn't produce change if she worked a fucking cash register. What a sad desperate grab from the gnarled claw of the Democratic establishment.

Oh and how about that "Republicans who have seen the light" crack last night? As if that was funny? Shut up, you stupid cunt.

You have to hope that some other candidate will pick up on the hilarious "I'm the candidate of change... I've been producing change for 35 years." contradiction.

From the UK, I really cant see the big deal about Hillary? She is a bit awkard when she is trying to answer difficult questions and she does come across a bit desperate for power which can I suppose help make unfavourable comparisons with Mitt Romney. However she has really centerist views, everything she says makes sense and she is inoffensive on almost every issue.

Is it her assosiation with Bill and those years? If it is then thats plain stupid, because the only people that should have been unhappy with America between 1992-2000 have to be either right wing nut jobs or the very poor.

Hillary just comes off as too ruthless and calculating. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Obama and Edwards are just as manipulative and power hungry as she is, difference is she can't hide it as well as they can.

In fairness she was in a difficult position to start with: she had to show how tough and driven she could be to balance out the fact that she's a woman,and therefore hasn't shown anything of her sensitive side that might have warmed people to her.

Sorry, Kreese. I should be counting Thursday as A Great Day For America before I go work in the trenches as an earnest young American to produce change for other earnest young Americans.

As a former voter for Ralph Nader in 00, it was interesting (though irrelevant) to hear that he is officially supporting John Edwards.

The more I look at Edwards platform, the more I like it over Obama's. I just can't forgive Edwards for voting for the war.

It's his plastic hair and ivory-plated teeth.

Interesting thing I caught on C-SPAN just now. Hillary Clinton just ripped George Bush--rightfully so--for claiming he'd be a uniter not a divider, strive for unity, reach out across party lines, all that jazz. Why are we supposed to believe Barack Obama, or anyone else, when he says the same old unity shit?

From the UK, I really cant see the big deal about Hillary? She is a bit awkard when she is trying to answer difficult questions and she does come across a bit desperate for power which can I suppose help make unfavourable comparisons with Mitt Romney. However she has really centerist views, everything she says makes sense and she is inoffensive on almost every issue.

Is it her assosiation with Bill and those years? If it is then thats plain stupid, because the only people that should have been unhappy with America between 1992-2000 have to be either right wing nut jobs or the very poor.

I really have nothing personal against her. The probleme is she goes so far out of her way to centrist and non-offensive she seems calculating and only out for power, thus lacking real convictions. If watch any of the debates, she is by far the best at not answering a question out of any of canidates across both parties.

Mitt Romny suffers from the same probleme, and though no one would admit it, the Morman thing is really go to hurt him with the Christian Right.

If Obama does win the nomination, I would fear for his life. I think security has vastly improved since JFK and RFK, the Regan was the last won to have a serious attempt at assination. But I don't think its a secert that there are a ton of nuts whose worse nightmare would be a black president, and these pepole are typically armed.

Sign in to follow this