TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

This Week in Baseball

Mets waste another great Pedro start.

Dodgers - Two runs on two hits.

Mets - One run on TEN hits.

Absolutely pathetic.

Just heard on AM 1000 (ESPN Radio Chicago, White Sox flagship) that Ken Griffey Jr. cleared waivers. Hmph.

Griffey would be nice, but if the Cubs claimed him, they'd be on the hook for his entire contract. It's not worth a desperation wild card run. The Cubs would be better off chasing Johnny Damon or Juan Pierre in the offseason.

Tommorrow, I might see a Sea Dogs doubleheader against the Binghamton Mets, a battle between the top team and the bottom team in the division. The vaunted minor league baseball in between entertainment gods, The Zooperstars are appearing. It'll be good to see Roger Clamens and Ken Giraffey Jr. again.

Abreu with a 2-run shot in the 1st inning against Dodgers.  Glad to see this.

Why? It's just empty numbers.

Did you catch Abreu pulling up when running on a 3-2 count in Tuesday's game, leading to him getting thrown out at 2nd when the pitch turned out to be a strike instead of a ball? The dude doesn't do himself any favors with stuff like that.

Abreu with a 2-run shot in the 1st inning against Dodgers.  Glad to see this.

Why? It's just empty numbers.

Did you catch Abreu pulling up when running on a 3-2 count in Tuesday's game, leading to him getting thrown out at 2nd when the pitch turned out to be a strike instead of a ball? The dude doesn't do himself any favors with stuff like that.

I didn't, since Abreu reached base twice in Tuesday's game, both with two outs. The second was an RBI single. Both times Burrell flied out.

I never realised the up and down year Vladdy has had, 225 in July and 468 in August thus far?

Pardon my stupidity, but what's the deal with Schilling closing in the first place? Just to get him back to throwing regularly after a DL stint or something?

Pretty much, yeah. He felt that he couldn't just come back after the ankle injury and start pumping out quality starts at the major league level. It appears that he can't pump out quality relief appearances either.

You have to have a certain mindset to close, though. You have to be on from the very start, because there's immense pressure from the moment you enter the game. And you have to have a very short memory, because you're going to blow a few saves from time to time. Not everyone can do it.

Which is why I was uncomfortable with it from the start.

Throw Timlin in the spot for the short term. At least he's been good this year and has closing experience more recent than Schilling.