TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kurt Angle Mark

HHH now is officially part of creative team

*insert generic HHHate comment here*

If he's not involved in the ring, I'd take HHH over any and every Hollywood writer they're employing recently, because HHH for all his faults is/was a wrestling fan at some point and knows at least something about the product.

If it's a conflict of interests like CC says, it's bad.

Maybe creativity has been completely exhausted.  Maybe there are no new ideas, no great stories to be told, or new stars to be made.

All you need is a basic storyline and bring the great wrestling, after all, what was Flair/Steamboat? Humble family man vs. the arrogant rich womanizer

This is true for the most part. It's when they try to get cute they screw up. I mean, they tried to be cute with the Orton push by going opposite what wrestling convention states. At least they got it right with Batista for the most part. Another thing is inconsistencies. I know it's a house show, but why in the world was Viscera helping Trish when it was Viscera who put her on the shelf?

Yeah, its the inconsistencies that screw it up in our minds, but do you think the casual fan cares who was friends with who this time last year?

I don't know why everyone is so shocked, surprised and annoyed that Tripper is on the creative team; we knew it was coming. Don't be surprised if the product goes downhill, because its obvious they aren't trying too hard. If TNA takes off on Spike (a very big IF), then Vince and co. may be forced to try harder.

Yeah, its the inconsistencies that screw it up in our minds, but do you think the casual fan cares who was friends with who this time last year?

There is no excuse for the biggest wrestling promotion in the world to be lazy, especially when it comes to the people paying to see house shows, who are the most ardent ones a promotion has. If Viscera was helping Trish, there should have been something done to explain it and/or make sense of it, especially when Trish was last seen getting stretchered out at the hands of Viscera.

Yeah, this won't fuck morale up even more. Hunter loves the cruisers, and he loves anyone with a unique style, as shown by the way he put RVD over.

Sometimes I really wonder just how much of a genius Vince is. I forget who put the idea forward, but it was the idea that Vince really is just a jackass who got by through dumb luck and lucky breaks. I'm leaning in that direction now. No intelligent businessman would do the things he's doing to his company right now.

Rudo, I believe. He credited Linda for the more intelligent business moves (including budget cuts(, and noted the idiotic ideas that Vince is known to have come up with himself (XFL, WBF, the awful way the Invasion was handled, etc).

One of the issues with something like Trish/Viscera not being explained, besides laziness, is the lack of importance placed on house shows. There is still the attitude of "if it didn't happen on television, it didn't happen" and that same mentality is why house show business is in the toilet right now. They don't care, which in turn makes us not care.

One of the issues with something like Trish/Viscera not being explained, besides laziness, is the lack of importance placed on house shows. There is still the attitude of "if it didn't happen on television, it didn't happen" and that same mentality is why house show business is in the toilet right now. They don't care, which in turn makes us not care.

They did try to make house shows important again when they showed highlight reels of them on Raw a couple of years ago, and lucked into something when their first reel showed Shane McMahon breaking Test's foot off of a Van Terminator. The problem was it didn't turn around things right away, and so they stopped doing it after a couple of weeks, if that long.

This is it right there. It's not about being all smarkish about inconsistencies for stuff like this. It's just makes fans think that nothing really matters at the end of the show because it's just a show. They aren't getting the fans emotionally involved as they use to. Someone stated on here months ago that when Austin turned heel and sided with Vince it was really the nail in the coffin that nothing matters because they will be inconsistent with things.

Then they wonder why business is down at house shows and so on. For some viewers at home the damage has already been done. Having Shane break someone's leg at a house show is not going to immediately make fans think the house show matches mean anything after years and years of conditioning fans to think otherwise.

I agree, with you HTQ, there is no excuse for a Multi-Million dollar company to be lazy, but I've come to expect them to be lazy, and to care less and less. They care about their top stars (which is why you didn't see HBK teaming up with Kurt Angle to take on Hogan and Eugene), but anyone in the mid to lower card they forget.

Thing is, they won't make house shows count, because they don't need to. Sure, they could have a massive event go down on a house show, but it'd be bad business not to have the angle on TV, which is why they don't acknowledge anything outside of those couple times the IC title has changed hands because of injury (Booker in late 2003 springs to mind).

I would assume that the majority of the WWE's revenue would come from Merchandise, buyrates, live events, etc. Not house shows. House show attendances have been in decline for a while now. Vince and co. have shown that they don't really care all that much about that fact. They put on a show, and the angles end when the shows end. There's no follow up on Heat, or Raw, because they don't see a point in it.

Isn't a house show a live event? If it's a live event then doesn't that mean they sell merchandise at the stands? Doesn't that also help them guage how over certain wrestlers and matches are in certain regions of the world? That can't be translated simply from studying a televised event. Most of the times(like this week in Montreal) the fans are there to be on tv themselves. If the wwe are thinking the way you are saying(and all signs do point to it as I remember Trish telling Vince this in a rumour) they are losing money in an aspect that would help boost their revenue. In 1986, Hogan and Orndorff were doing gangbusters at the box office and television. That basically tells them the fans are demanding to see that match. If attendance is reaching 1200(as I've seen rumoured for some of JBL's title defenses)then that tells them right there they are not connecting with the audience. Instead they probably turn around and blame a damn "cycle" or even worse blame the fans for not "getting with it".

Isn't a house show a live event? If it's a live event then doesn't that mean they sell merchandise at the stands? Doesn't that also help them guage how over certain wrestlers and matches are in certain regions of the world? That can't be translated simply from studying a televised event. Most of the times(like this week in Montreal) the fans are there to be on tv themselves. If the wwe are thinking the way you are saying(and all signs do point to it as I remember Trish telling Vince this in a rumour) they are losing money in an aspect that would help boost their revenue. In 1986, Hogan and Orndorff were doing gangbusters at the box office and television. That basically tells them the fans are demanding to see that match. If attendance is reaching 1200(as I've seen rumoured for some of JBL's title defenses)then that tells them right there they are not connecting with the audience. Instead they probably turn around and blame a damn "cycle" or even worse blame the fans for not "getting with it".

As I understand it, a BIG chunk of their overall revenue comes from house shows. They tour constantly, do show after show, so they don't make spectacular PPV money, but they do make steady money.

That is, if people give a shit enough about the product to go.

Think about this: if a PPV is in town, you will probably go if you can afford to, even if the card is crap. Just because it's a PPV.

A house show on the other hand, you have to be really enthused about WWE if you're going to go.

Sure, they could have a massive event go down on a house show, but it'd be bad business not to have the angle on TV

Nobody is saying that they shouldn't have the angle in some form get shown on television. The key is to only show photos or clips of the angle on television, and get it across that if you want to see these angles in full, then you have to go to house shows. If WWE run a bunch of angles on the house shows that play a part in ongoing television angles, and regularly show clips and photos from these angles on television, then it would eventually get across the point that what happens at house shows does have an effect on what people see on television, and it might make people more likely to go to house shows. They don't have to be major angles, though once or twice a year it would be wise to run one, but they do have to be angles that the fans watching television get educated into believing have an impact on what they do see on television, so they might be more inclined to to go to house show in their area, and so get to see these angles in person.

If attendance is reaching 1200(as I've seen rumoured for some of JBL's title defenses)

One Canadian house show during his reign didn't even break the 1000 mark.

A house show on the other hand, you have to be really enthused about WWE if you're going to go

Which is exactly why WWE needs to make those fans feel like they got something special, or what they are paying to see matters. WWE fans who go to house shows are the most ardent, and when you make them feel so disinterested that they stop coming, then you're doing something really wrong.

Guest Brian

That's...horrible. There are certain areas, and the NW US and Canada are part of it, where you should never be able to draw that low. That's just pitiful.