TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Team Angle Pusher

The Summerslam Thread

Guest Biggles

I thought Edge/Matt was a joke. They hyped this matchup so well and it had alot of steam going into SS. But to have it end the way it did, just left me in awe. Not the good kind of awe, but the kind where I looked a buddy and said, "What just happened here?". I didn't like it from a Smark, Mark, life-long fan, Edge-Hater or Hardy-hater standpoint. It was simply a bad ending. I would have loved to have seen them hit some more actual moves and had a clear winner. I think that's what this match deserved considering the saga about it. Going into this match, we all knew it wasn't going to end here at SS, so why not have a winner? I would have to say, this was the weakest match of the night. Yes, including Benoit vs. Jordan, which in all honesty, I loved.

I liked it, but this was also the 2nd PPV I ordered in 5 years (WM21 being the other one) so I haven't become numb to PPV product just yet...

I was also wodnering why Edge wasn't sporting the briefcase unless I missed something...

The only thing I would have liked better about the Benoit match would be if he truly destroyed Jordan for about 10 mins. I'm talking no offense for OJ, just a total "Dean Malenko beats the shit out of Disco Inferno" type ownage. Thing is, Orlando can't sell like Disco.

Big Show had a pointless US title run but at least he's CREDIBLE holding the belt. Orlando Jordan holding it is a joke, the guy has literally no redeeming value as a wrestler. In fact I'd look for him to be fired as Chief of Staff soon and released. This was almost Warrior/HTM level markout though, although for different reasons. But then again I've made my opinion on Jordan and the GAB debacle known.

One thing that has been lost in this is that SS is the first sign of the fans turning on Cena. I didn't think Jericho had enough heat or credibility to rally the fans against Cena, but man he sure did on this show. I'd say more of the crowd was for him. I said it in the "Fans turning on Cena" thread: Nobody turned on Cena while he was on Smackdown because he wasn't wrestling anyone worth a shit, just guys the fans have no respect for like JBL, Jordan, Suzuki, Dupree. Put him in there with someone worth a shit, even a jobbed out Jericho and the fans turn on him. Wait until they put him in with a now red hot Angle....the whole crowd will be for Kurt.

cabbage, that's exactly what I thought about Angle/Cena as well and apparently, if we go by the Unforgiven poster, that may be the next fued...the only thing we need to determine is if Angle got the cheers because they love him or because they really hated Eugene...I'm thinking it's a mix of both...

I wonder though, if the fans do consistently turn on Cena what is WWE's backup plan? Angle has never really worked long term as a face, oddly he gets cheered more when he's supposed to be a heel. Maybe Angle can be a kickass tweener?

What this show illustrated more than anything is that there are a certain amount of guys that fans simply have respect for (Benoit, Angle, Eddie, even Jericho) and when they go against guys who in some way don't seem credible (Jordan, Eugene, even Cena when it comes to in ring work) the crowd goes with the more talented guy regardless of heel or face.

English Cable broadcaster Ntl have not picked up SummerSlam so I miss it for the first time since 97. Wonderful.

I'm not willing to get the webcast either because I wont be able to keep it.

ntl did carry the event. I mean, I'm on ntl and I watched it. Except for the Edge/Hardy match when the feed dissapeared. But I managed to catch it on the replay.

This is not the first time the crowd have turned on Cena, it's happened a few times now. They need to freshen up his character, but you could say that about almost every guy on the roster.

Anyone care to give a possible Unforgiven card? I'm not sure what they would go with at all, other than Angle/Cena and Edge/Hardy. Maybe Trips/Flair and Carlito/Shelton, but I'm not sure what else.

This is just a question since I haven't seen a lot of shows recently (although I might start watching Smackdown again now that the Eddy/Rey shit is over with), but I see several of you talking about the crowd turning against Cena at times.

My question is, does the same thing happen with Batista? I know that Vince is down on Batista right now, but anything I've read seems to say that the crowd responded quite positively towards him.

As much as I hate to see the Rey/Eddie feud continue any longer than it already has, Eddie has to get a win, especially if they want him to go up against Batista.

I really don't see how they would explain to marks that, while Eddie Guerrero has just lost seven consecutive times against Rey Mysterio, he is now the number one contender.

That ladder match last night was clearly booked to show that Eddy got screwed over in it - he had the match won numerous times but things out of his control prevented him from winning it, like his wife doing the run-in, Dominic, etc. So that has got to be, most definately, the end to the feud. The only exception MIGHT be a match on Smackdown for a title shot at No Mercy, which Eddy could win. In any respect though, Eddy can still challenge Batista for a title shot if they build him up strong now after last night on the shows. They clearly were protecting him during the ladder match.

Overall, I thought the ppv was pretty strong, but the ending of the show just left SO MUCH to be desired. The match itself wasnt nearly as bad as one would expect, as Michaels carried Hogan to probably one of his best matches ever. But I was begging for a run-in by HHH here. The handshake at the end was lame, as Michaels should continue to be a heel as it just plain WORKED. Maybe they can still turn him back heel on Raw tonight, we'll see.

The opener was PERFECT if you ask me. I didnt want to see this match anyway, it gave time to the others, and Benoit is WAY above actually working another competitive match with Jordan. This put him over strong in theory and showed that SD plans to do something with him and the title. I would imagine this is payback for Benoit doing some jobs the past few months. Jordan is so worthless, he should be sent down to developmental again now after this bury job.

The Hardy/Edge thing was a joke - they did almost exactly what I expected as Hardy got CLEARLY buried and the story was that in this "fight" Hardy got punked out and lost. What else is there to say? The fans were casually booing Hardy as he got carried out. The intention of this is obvious - I cant believe Hardy agreed to it. This must have been WWE signing back up Hardy because they knew he might do something in TNA. So he gets here and they basically bury him to put over Edge further into main event status. And now I bet they will let him sit out the rest of his contract. And, unless there was an out clause in the contract, there is really nothing Hardy can do about it. His career is basically fucked.

I thought the ladder match was slow and tedious at times, but not too bad at all. I would have loved to see what kind of ladder match these two could have done 10 years ago though. Some good spots, some sloppy, but overall good enough to be at least a *** 1/2 match.

Eugene/Angle - not as bad as I thought it would be and they did a good job of putting over Angle strong for Cena.

Orton and Taker had as good of a match as their Mania one for sure. Not sure why it is, but these two generally just work good together. About as steller of a job that you can expect from Taker there.

Cena/Jericho was a great match for sure, legitimate near falls looked like Jericho had a chance to win. Crowd reaction for this match was certainly interesting.

Batista/JBL was lame, but what do you expect? They went hardcore-lite with no blood and no real huge spots other than the finish. I guess it accomplished it's task though as JBL is most definately going to be taking a step down now, probably to feud with Benoit which is probably exactly where he should be.

Already commented on Hogan/Michaels.

This is just a question since I haven't seen a lot of shows recently (although I might start watching Smackdown again now that the Eddy/Rey shit is over with), but I see several of you talking about the crowd turning against Cena at times.

My question is, does the same thing happen with Batista?  I know that Vince is down on Batista right now, but anything I've read seems to say that the crowd responded quite positively towards him.

Yeah Batista is still getting over pretty much although he's not getting near the pops and general appeal that he did when he was being built up for the Mania match against HHH.

This is not the first time the crowd have turned on Cena, it's happened a few times now. They need to freshen up his character, but you could say that about almost every guy on the roster.

Anyone care to give a possible Unforgiven card? I'm not sure what they would go with at all, other than Angle/Cena and Edge/Hardy. Maybe Trips/Flair and Carlito/Shelton, but I'm not sure what else.

I actually hope there is some hotshotting tonite on the show as the card so far is hard to say on and it will need some work to make it even semi-interesting. I dont think its a given there will be another Edge/Hardy match, it could just as much end up that Hardy is "injured" and Edge works another program from this point on.

IF they do what I hope they do tonite with a HHH/HBK turn on Hogan and maybe even tonite a Flair face turn on HHH, I could see the headliners looking this way.

Cena/Angle

HHH/Hogan

HBK/Flair

Some of the Rey vs. Eddy ratings are amusing. The match had absolutely no build, as they started running out the ladder spots almost immediately. A couple of the spots were incredibly contrived, most notably the spot where Rey got flung into the ladder that was perched in the corner. Eddy's knee selling was just bizarre, as he'd be selling it like it was a serious injury one second, then having no problems with it literally 10 seconds later. For comparison's sake, go watch Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles from TNA Sacrifice. I more or less had that match rated the same as some of these higher Rey-Eddy ratings. Maybe people overrated that match too, but comparing them to each other, I'd find it difficult to come to the conclusion that they're even close to being equal.

I personally thought Rey/Eddie was the worst match that actually had a finish on the show (which doesn't count the opening two bouts for me) in that it served no purpose and wasn't really crisply executed either. Between the botched and contrived spots, the sheer stupidity in the build for this particular match, the ridiculous overbooking towards the end, and Rey winning AGAIN, I just thought that whole segment was a waste of time.

Regarding Rey-Eddy, first off, having Eddy win the match would make no sense when you are doing a blow off to a feud, and considering the storyline here, it actually made perfect sense. Guererro basically won the match anyway since when do you see a heel getting continously screwed out of a win like that?

To say the match was a complete mess makes me wonder what some were watching. I thought the pychology in that match was brilliant, especially considering you dont see that much in a ladder match. Sure, there was a few blown looking spots but nothing too much to completely ruin it.

Oh yeah for what its worth, I thought Joe-Styles was around a **** 1/4 match, compared to Rey-Eddy at *** 1/2.

Oh and dont let the fact that you didnt like the build of the match hurt the actual workrate and layout of such match, its kind of an irrelevant point in ways when you think about it. One thing is clear though, it had a long term build and honestly the match itself should have been higher on the card.

Oh and dont let the fact that you didnt like the build of the match hurt the actual workrate and layout of such match, its kind of an irrelevant point in ways when you think about it. One thing is clear though, it had a long term build and honestly the match itself should have been higher on the card.

It wasn't a matter of not liking the build, because there was no build. As I said, they started firing off spots immediately, starting from the backdrop ~30 seconds into the match. And it's not like the backdrop was just a "flash" move where one guy gets surprised early in the match, but ultimately doesn't suffer a whole lot because of it. The backdrop was a transition into bringing the ladder in and firing off more spots, without ever even bothering to do any basic wear down or spot teases. The match was essentially all spots, and when a lot of those spots are sloppy and contrived, it's hard to view the match as even remotely good.

Even if Eddy had won, he still wouldnt have got a a pin or submission win over Rey so he still wouldnt have "beaten" him

Eh thats not really true - you're just thinking in context of what YOU feel is "beating someone."

Anyway some comments from Wade Keller on the Matt Hardy deal from his SummerSlam thoughts email...

"What can be said about Matt Hardy? Unless there's some shocking development, he committed career suicide in the short-run by cashing out (assuming he did get a better financial deal than he could have gotten as a true independent contractor). Those who didn't believe in him before still don't, and those who didn't like him before who have power have new reason not to like him and thus bury him. He has been humiliated since returning in every way imaginable from being shown up on interviews by Edge and Lita, treated as an insignificant mid-carder by the announcing team, and losing his revenge match against Edge in one of the worst ways possible - he was too beat up to continue. He didn't even dispute the decision by the ref. He just sat there in a daze, as if he was legitimately roughed up by a bad dude who was tougher than him. Utter burial."

I totally agree with that, there is no way they can right a wrong with that match last night. In fact I expect absolutely ZERO follow up tonite.

I liked it, but this was also the 2nd PPV I ordered in 5 years (WM21 being the other one) so I haven't become numb to PPV product just yet...

I was also wodnering why Edge wasn't sporting the briefcase unless I missed something...

Thats because they used it for the ladder match.

You think Vince would spend extra for two briefcases? TSK TSK :D

any event

The show was lackluster, Though Orton-Taker was just as good as the WM 21 Match and had a intersting finish that played off the previous match (this time Cowboy Bob got it done right) and for once Taker basically put over someone clean (Bob didnt attack him so it was clean to me) Also liked the harkening back to WM with the tombstone reversals spot, as this time Orton's shoulder didnt give out and he remembered to counter.

The ladder macth had a few too many contrived (and badly blown) spots and too much sportz-entertainment to be a great match

Hogan-Shawn was a decent match and better than you could have expected as HBK bumped his ass off for Hogan, but Hogans slowness took away any chance of it being anything speical or memorable. and you would think Shawn would know better than to hit Hogan when he started hulking up (after making fun of him for weeks for doing the same things over and over)

The handshake was fine as Hogan is probably gone (for this year) anyway, unless he sticks around to hype his show some more. And Shawn never really turned heel as the crowds continued to have a lot of support for him as well (well of course not in Montreal but thats a given) and outside of last weeks raw he never tried to insult the people or anything and he still was slapping hands last night before the match. But the crowd seemed to like it so no biggee. I

But I agree I hope he does turn fullblown cuz it would be better.

I think the Batista-JBL match was purposely toned down so as not to steal the spotlight from the main event. they didnt want a long, bloodly brawl with huge spots cuz one the time contraints and 2 Hogan would have complained

Though Cena-Jericho was easily better than the main event too. The crowd was fun and I was rooting for Jericho despite having only Cena in my fantasy team. The loud "that was three!" chant after a Jericho near-fall made the night for me.

No matter how much they bury Chris, the crowd was always respect him and buy him as a threat.

This was the best match Cena has had since he won the title -that I have seen (I haven't see judgment day yet)

Best Match-Cena-Jericho and Orton-Taker run pretty close together

Worst Match- Matt-Edge At first lats night I though they were just trying to build to a rematch at unforgiven . but now You know reading some of your comments now I also think WWE is just trying to bury Matt for daring to tell the world the truth and almost runing WWE storylines by having to turn Lita heel and deal with loud chants on tv they didnt want.

Benoit pulling A warrior was markout city for me. Though him winning a midcard tile one year after being in the summerslam main event makes me sad a bit.

It wasn't a matter of not liking the build, because there was no build. As I said, they started firing off spots immediately, starting from the backdrop ~30 seconds into the match. And it's not like the backdrop was just a "flash" move where one guy gets surprised early in the match, but ultimately doesn't suffer a whole lot because of it. The backdrop was a transition into bringing the ladder in and firing off more spots, without ever even bothering to do any basic wear down or spot teases. The match was essentially all spots, and when a lot of those spots are sloppy and contrived, it's hard to view the match as even remotely good.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this point of a "build" because I saw it clearly. There was a clear pyschological build in the match (spot after spot was building to something more than alot of WWE ladder matches have) and there was a clear emotional payoff for those who actually enjoyed the storyline or at least got into it.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this point of a "build" because I saw it clearly. There was a clear pyschological build in the match (spot after spot was building to something more than alot of WWE ladder matches have) and there was a clear emotional payoff for those who actually enjoyed the storyline or at least got into it.

Fair enough.

As an aside, I just watched Cena-Jericho. And well, Jericho is awesome for dragging Cena to a decent match. Jericho being way over also made me happy. I hope he doesn't get buried after this.

Fair enough.

As an aside, I just watched Cena-Jericho. And well, Jericho is awesome for dragging Cena to a decent match. Jericho being way over also made me happy. I hope he doesn't get buried after this.

Yeah, he should be commended for making Cena look so good in that match to the n'th degree. What is so funny about that is he did it when now he is in complete limbo about his standing after this, since he is apparently taking some time off and doesnt have a contract now. Didnt the short term one just expire with that match last night? If that was Jericho's final WWE match (which is highly doubtful) then he surely went out with a bang. If anything that performance in that match ups his value and might give him more incentive to request a raise if he resigns.

on a personal note, I've never liked the idea of former world champions winning secondary titles, especially within a year of holding the world title...

I don't think the Bob Orton run in helped the supposed star-of-the-future look strong in a victory over UT...sure Bob didn't attack UT but he provided the distraction for Orton to nail the RKO...the win would have looked tons better if Randy pulled it out himself...

I like the Benoit squash thing. Adds realism to the show.

If this was the NBA, a game you're expecting to be close, say Spurs (Benoit) Vs. Pistons (Jordan, and I ONLY say this because Jordan, in WWE universe, is a high-ranking champion), could end up in a blowout. Not every match, nor sporting event, is a down-to-the-wire, HE JUST SQUEAKED A WIN OUT affair. That's what makes the really close ones even more important and special.

Good for Benoit.... Spurs 87, Pistons 58

Really, even if Benoit had carried Jordan to a 19-minute affair which saw Jordan bust out suplex variations, hit a flying crossbody to the second row, and do a WM 13 Austin finish to earn "respect"....IT IS ORLANDO FUCKING JORDAN. He can't work at this level. No one cares.

Squash City, I like it.

I like the Benoit squash thing.  Adds realism to the show.

Really, even if Benoit had carried Jordan to a 19-minute affair which saw Jordan bust out suplex variations, hit a flying crossbody to the second row, and do a WM 13 Austin finish to earn "respect"....IT IS ORLANDO FUCKING JORDAN.  He can't work at this level.  No one cares.

Squash City, I like it.

Yeah it was actually smart booking for the reasons you already stated, plus consider how Benoit, to me, lost a few steps of being over when he had to do the lame-as-fuck job to Jordan last month, as well as jobbed out in lame form here and there, the few that come to mind are the jobs to Orton and JBL. This is great payback to him, if anything.

Also, it highlights the unpredictability of losing to a submission out of nowhere and as well really gives credibility to the crossface more than before.

Isn't it pretty much a given that the Rey/Eddie storyline isn't over now since the proposed Rey/Orton, Eddie/Batista programs will be scrapped for Orton/Batista, and because supposedly Rey/Eddie draws TV ratings? That's why I think it was moronic to put Rey over yet again. If that was the definitive end to the feud, then I suppose I can see Rey winning, but if they end up fighting even once more this year, that whole segment was pointless and could've ended up putting both guys out for a while with the botched spots.