TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

This week in baseball 8/29 - 9/5

I still would have taken Tino over Olerud in the offseason. Tino had a decent year last year, 20 HRs+ and 70+ RBIs. Doesn't mean I can't be bitter about it on a suck ass day.

I'm having an argument with a friend of mine about Derek Jeter and Johnny Damon about leadoff hitters. I showed him most of their stats, and there basically even. But then he says Damon looks and takes more pitches, and can remember seeing him have a ton of "tough" ten pitch ABs. So I looked deeper, and saw that Jeter takes more pitches per AB, and has seen 200+ more pitches than Damon this season, in only 6 more ABs. He went on to argue with me that having a 10 pitch AB, even if an out, is better than a one pitch single, due to it "wearing" down the pitcher. I basically think that theres no way you can factually prove that A. the rest of the lineup will work the count, or B. if the AB has any effect on the pitcher at all.

So whats better, a one pitch single, or a ten pitch out?

as an oakland athletic fan it is disheartening to see them lose crosby & potentially harden & kotsay for the year. they've been resiliant & have proven every naysayer wrong. just a shame.

They are hoping Crosby will return in a couple of weeks, at least he could be back for the final week of the season. Kotsay I figure should be back next week although always the chance his back problem will comeback which puts a bit of a damper on the contract extension. Harden is who I'm worried about as I just don't have much hope that he'll pitch again this year. Only thing that is going to keep him from being one of the game's dominate pitchers for the next decade is injuries and he's already been hurt three times in two and a half years.

With the loss tonight, all five series between the A's and Angels have gone exactly the same. The team that won the first game of the series lost the next two. Obviously both teams should try to tank the first game of the their series the final week of the season....

Huge series with the As starts tomorrow.

Leiter (who I have a feeling is going to have 100 pitches through one against this team)/Haren, Sarloos/Small, and Chacon/Zito on Sunday Night baseball. We need to take 2/3.

I'm having an argument with a friend of mine about Derek Jeter and Johnny Damon about leadoff hitters. I showed him most of their stats, and there basically even. But then he says Damon looks and takes more pitches, and can remember seeing him have a ton of "tough" ten pitch ABs. So I looked deeper, and saw that Jeter takes more pitches per AB, and has seen 200+ more pitches than Damon this season, in only 6 more ABs. He went on to argue with me that having a 10 pitch AB, even if an out, is better than a one pitch single, due to it "wearing" down the pitcher. I basically think that theres no way you can factually prove that A. the rest of the lineup will work the count, or B. if the AB has any effect on the pitcher at all.

So whats better, a one pitch single, or a ten pitch out?

A hit is always better than an out, except maybe for a run-scoring sacrifice fly. The measure of a leadoff hitter is whether or not he gets on base. Almost everything after that, even stolen bases, is secondary.

Guest Smues

Was at the Braves game last night, man that was a painful bullpen meltdown. Huzzah Andruw bailing us out. What was great though was the two guys behind me didn't know much about baseball and after a strikeout one of them asked "What's that kkk mean on the board?" The guy next to him: "Well normally it would mean 'RUN!' but in a ballpark it means strikeout."

Robinson Tejeda will miss Sunday's start and Gavin Floyd will make the start instead. On one hand, Floyd can't find the plate and we're screwed. On the other hand, I watched Floyd make six starts live this season, and it is about time the rest of you suffered.

Wasn't he like a major top prospect like, last year? What happened to him?

He seemed to lose all semblance of control. In 137.3 innings at AAA, Floyd issued 66 walks, threw 10 wild pitches, and hit 19 batters (a new club record). Floyd's strikeout rate was not particularly impressive, and the only positive was that he only allowed 11 home runs.

Lenny DiNardo pitched well, giving up only one ER, but two errors lead to three unearned runs and the bullpen coughs up two more. I tell ya, this defense and mediocre relief is going to be more exposed in October than a nudist in Vermont.

Foulke returned as well. Hung a few changeups but they didn't hurt him, which probably won't happen often.

Interesting point...

What would Anglesault say about the Yankees making the playoffs as a wild card?

If you remember, he always ranted about how the wild card was a disgrace and you weren't a good team if you weren't capable of winning your own division.

Do you think that tune would be changed, or would he clutch that notion to the grave? I don't know why that popped into my mind, but it's probably an indication that I've been here for too long.

Wasn't it the elbow that bothered Mussina last year as well?

This makes me feel a bit better, but the Sox just won't take advantage of things like this. The series next weekend will decide the division, I think. Either Boston FINALLY puts some more distance on NY, or the Yankees take over by a game or so and hold the Sox off the rest of the year.

Interesting point...

What would Anglesault say about the Yankees making the playoffs as a wild card?

If you remember, he always ranted about how the wild card was a disgrace and you weren't a good team if you weren't capable of winning your own division.

Do you think that tune would be changed, or would he clutch that notion to the grave? I don't know why that popped into my mind, but it's probably an indication that I've been here for too long.

Are you kidding, he bitched when his team won but didn't look good doing it. He'd rant and rave about how piss poor the team was.

Part of me wishes AS was around this season for the sheer entertainment his posts would bring, but the other part realizes that about 80% of the TWiB thread posts each week would be his and there's such a thing as too much of a good thing.

Wasn't it the elbow that bothered Mussina last year as well?

This makes me feel a bit better, but the Sox just won't take advantage of things like this.  The series next weekend will decide the division, I think.  Either Boston FINALLY puts some more distance on NY, or the Yankees take over by a game or so and hold the Sox off the rest of the year.

Who exactly is going to pitch for us? Randy, Chacon, Wright might have to miss a start or two, and Small?

Things have turned for the worse really quickly. And even if the Yankees win the WC, which I'm kinda doubting, how the hell are they gonna win games on the road when they can't HIT on the road?

Guest Fishyswa

10 runs allowed before we get an out in the 2nd.

At this rate the game should end at 50-0.