TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in College Football 9/8 - 9/10

Well, this already has the signs of being a wacky week...

Now all we need is for Iowa State to finish the job on Iowa then for Texas-Ohio State to become a blowout to cement it.

God damn come on Iowa.

OU didn't throw a pass in the 2nd half! God damn! We HAVE to find a passing game or we this will be our only victory of the year! Damn.

I see that Chuck Long sat in the booth and went "Well I wonder what happens if I just keep feeding AD the ball."

If OU didn't have AD they'd be 0-2 right now. No doubt about that. Adrian Peterson IS Oklahoma right now.

It appears Peterson is going to have to pick the entire team up on his back and carry it to the finish line......he'll be dead before Texas.

We have hope for the future but this season is going to be tough to watch after the high ride we've been on for the past 5 years.

Oh and does anyone else doubt how important Jason White was to this team anymore? He needs to petition for a 20th year of eligibility.

Also going unnoticed this week...

Illinois is 2-0 under Ron Zook, probably for the first time since the 2001 season when Illinois won the Big Ten then got punked in the Sugar Bowl by an unheralded LSU team, which had upset Tennessee in the SEC Championship and cost them a shot at being in the title game.

I feel like it would be really funny if Oklahoma still beat Texas this year.

Iowa State/Iowa isn't terribly surprising. Hawkeyes will probably get back in it, but this has been a pretty even rivalry in recent years. Wasn't Iowa State the only loss for Iowa in '02, before they played USC in the Orange Bowl?

I don't think Michigan will win another NC until Lloyd Carr retires. He can recruit with the best of them, but the man constantly gets outcoached in big games. They'll win the conference titles, but they have to do something about these kinds of losses if they want to win NCs. I see Michigan at either 9-2 or 8-3 this year depending on how Ohio State and Iowa do this year.

ND will probably get up to about 11-12 in the polls next week. They're looking at 8-3 or maybe 9-2 if they can pull off an upset in one of the three remaining tough games of theirs this year (@Purdue, USC, and Tennessee).

I wouldn't really call Notre Dame beating Purdue an upset at this point. They just went on the road and beat Michigan who was (with Ohio State) supposed to be the best team in the Big Ten. Purdue's supposed to be strong this year, but they'd be the unproven commodity against what's been a terrific Irish team thus far.

I'm fairly sure Mack Brown would be out of a job if Texas looses to OU this year.

I don't know about that. Overall Texas still loves Mack Brown b/c while he can't beat OU he still wins 10 games a year.

I seem to remember someone said in the last college football thread "If Texas can't beat OU this year then Mack Brown is truly incompetent." And I think after today's performance by OU that's more apparent than ever. Bob Stoops will definitely work to earn his pay this year.

Oh and they had this funny moment on the radio earlier. This character they have that appears on the radio every now and then said "If I was Bomar I would've been slinging brews back after that game last week too! I would've realized I was going to be running for my life all year!"

Well, it wasn't like it was a top-tier defense.  They're going to be in big trouble against the Big XII's top tier if that's their offensive strategy in October and November.

Yeah if they try that strategy in their next two games(UCLA and K-State) then Peterson WON'T even play against Texas b/c he'll be in a body bag.

Peterson's pretty tough; he can handle quite a workload.

And honestly, if he carries the ball less than 40 times against UCLA and KSU, the Sooners are going to be 1-3 when they face Texas.

Guest I miss Test.

Wisconsin beat Temple 65-0, and didn't score in the 4th quarter.

Holy shit, how bad is Temple? Even UB doesn't lose that badly.

Peterson's pretty tough; he can handle quite a workload.

And honestly, if he carries the ball less than 40 times against UCLA and KSU, the Sooners are going to be 1-3 when they face Texas.

How about some short passes. I noticed OU really didn't do any of those. They kept trying to go downfield. The one screen they threw to Peterson picked up a good chunk of yards!

In 2000 Josh Heupel didn't have the best offensive line in the country but he kept dumping it off short and it worked!

I'm going to kick Chuck Long's ass.

A couple of things, great win by Notre Dame today and Charlie Weis is doing a great job so far. However, for those that say Weis is "turning it around"...bullshit. Ty Willingham did not leave the cupboard bare. The problem with Notre Dame last year and the year was that they were too green to be consistent. They beat Michigan and Tennesee and they had some really bad losses as well. That is to be expected with a young team especially when you are completely changing the type of recruit that comes to the school. They were ready to step up this year simply because the team was older so long as they had a quality head coach and yes I do believe they would be 2-0 with Willingham or Urban Meyer or any other good coach that would have taken or should have the job. For those that say well Willingham is 0-2 at Washington that program is broken right now. However that is more of a 3 year project where ND was a 5 year project because you were changing the type of recruit that was coming there. Dont get me wrong the credit deserves to go to Charlie Weis for his coaching job in 05 since it is his system and his style that are winning right now but I think Willingham or Meyer would do the same.

As far as ND's prospects for the rest of the season they may slip up once or twice but I'd be very nervous if I'm a USC fan. Notre Dame is only gonna get better and with Weis's ability to scheme they can give USC a hard time and even possibly pull an upset.

Guest Vitamin X

Hopefully the Bruins will avenge the sodomizing OU gave them a couple years back on special teams, this year.

And I knew Notre Dame was a vastly underrated team. They really did need a new coach, Weis is miles ahead of Willingham. And this is coming from someone who only just recently got into college football.

Hopefully the Bruins will avenge the sodomizing OU gave them a couple years back on special teams, this year.

And I knew Notre Dame was a vastly underrated team. They really did need a new coach, Weis is miles ahead of Willingham. And this is coming from someone who only just recently got into college football.

I think the entire country is lining up to avenge the sodomizing's that OU has given them all over the past 5 years.

Well except USC.....they're charging admission b/c they started it.

A couple of things, great win by Notre Dame today and Charlie Weis is doing a great job so far.  However, for those that say Weis is "turning it around"...bullshit.  Ty Willingham did not leave the cupboard bare.  The problem with Notre Dame last year and the year was that they were too green to be consistent.  They beat Michigan and Tennesee and they had some really bad losses as well.  That is to be expected with a young team especially when you are completely changing the type of recruit that comes to the school.  They were ready to step up this year simply because the team was older so long as they had a quality head coach and yes I do believe they would be 2-0 with Willingham or Urban Meyer or any other good coach that would have taken or should have the job. For those that say well Willingham is 0-2 at Washington that program is  broken right now.  However that is more of a 3 year project where ND was a 5 year project because you were changing the type of recruit that was coming there.  Dont get me wrong the credit deserves to go to Charlie Weis for his coaching job in 05 since it is his system and his style that are winning right now but I think Willingham or Meyer would do the same.

As far as ND's prospects for the rest of the season they may slip up once or twice but I'd be very nervous if I'm a USC fan.  Notre Dame is only gonna get better and with Weis's ability to scheme they can give USC a hard time and even possibly pull an upset.

Also adding to that is that Notre Dame has a bye week before the USC game, which gives Weis extra time to gameplan for that meeting. If Notre Dame beats Purdue on October 1st, it's not crazy to say the Notre Dame-USC game will be a meeting of Top 5 teams since some of these teams in the Top 10 will fall due to playing each other.

I watched the whole game today (ND/Michigan) and I wasn't terribly impressed with Notre Dame in it. Maybe the 1st drive but not much otherwise. Michigan fucked up so many times in that game: Henne's INT in the endzone, the idiotic fumble at the goal line, and so on. Notre Dame had what 60 yards in the 2nd half? Maybe they were just playing conservatively, I dunno.

Temple's the worst team in a BCS conference, except maybe Baylor.  Have been for years.

Temple isn't in a BCS conference anymore. The Big East kicked them out after last season. The Owls are currently an independent and could be dropping down into the A-10 in a few years, right where they belong.

Oh and Iowa State knocked off Iowa. So one more overrated down.

Would anyone like to explain WHY they picked Iowa to be a good team?

They just seemed to turn into a media darlin because they didn't royally suck last year. Iowa is a nice program that is improving, but this is a mega leap of expectations from people.

Good as in Top Five worthy.

I make no excuses...Iowa got their asses kicked. Don't know if they were looking two weeks ahead to their date in the Shoe with Ohio State but we got our asses kicked and we became Brett Meyer's bitch today.