TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

This Week In Baseball

I think the Brewers have some good young talent, but I definitely wouldn't take some games at the end of the season against a team the clinched in July as an indication of how good they will be. Not saying you are, that's just in general.

Oh, that's not what I meant at all. I understand that the Cards already clinched and it's late in the season, etc. I meant based on the overall progress the Brewers have made, and the fact that their young guys will be more experienced next year, etc. Plus, their pitching staff should be very good (Sheet, Davis, Capuano will all be back. Ohka probably as well, and they're looking at options for another pitcher...).

Guest TheDon

Has anybody seen this before? Frank Cant. reaches on an error bluff towards second base posada throws the ball to Giambi and he tags out Frank Cant and the umpire calls him out for motioning towards second as he stumbled while running up the first base line.

Guest TheDon

Giambi just missed a 3 run homerun to deep center. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come for the remainder of the season for him.

Guest TheDon

Yankees take a 1-0 lead on the Blue Jays after Gary Sheffield Sac Fly. So far they are hitting the ball pretty hard.

Guest TheDon
One positive for the Yankees, their attendance officially surpassed four million today.

Fourth time in history, and first time in 12 years (Toronto, 1991-92; Colorado, 1993)

That was a surprising stat to me. Did they add seats to Yankee Stadium this season? How have the Yankees never passed 4 million in attendance before?

Mostly it is the uncertaincy of the season creating exciting drama, as well as the threat of Yankee Stadium closing shop that encourages fans to attend while they can.

Dont forget that $1 seats had a lot to do with drawing that many fans. Imagine going to a pro sporting event and only having to pay a dollar for a seat.

One positive for the Yankees, their attendance officially surpassed four million today.

Fourth time in history, and first time in 12 years (Toronto, 1991-92; Colorado, 1993)

That was a surprising stat to me. Did they add seats to Yankee Stadium this season? How have the Yankees never passed 4 million in attendance before?

Mostly it is the uncertaincy of the season creating exciting drama, as well as the threat of Yankee Stadium closing shop that encourages fans to attend while they can.

Dont forget that $1 seats had a lot to do with drawing that many fans. Imagine going to a pro sporting event and only having to pay a dollar for a seat.

That's not unheard of, but it doesn't necessarily draw fans -- Toronto tried that a few years ago and it didn't work very well. Those were almost certainly for the worst seats in the place. Am I going to pay a dollar and spend three hours at a baseball game where I can barely see what's going on? Probably not.

Jerome Williams loaded the bases with no outs in the second, but got two strikeouts and a lineout to preserve a Cubs lead. He went 3-1 on Pettitte, but came back for the K.

Lee also homered in the first, but with that potent Macias/Perez thing at the top of the order, naturally it was a solo shot.

Indians got out of a bases loaded, nobody out situation in the eighth, but they're down to their final hacks. If they go down and the White Sox win, it's going to make things quite difficult on the Tribe in the Central.

Cubs are really milking the Lee homer, too. They're up 1-0, have been in trouble several times and aren't waiting around for anything against Pettitte, who has just 35 pitches in four innings. I'd still love to hear Dusty's explanation for having Macias leading off.

Two things:

- Chicago HAS TO win their game vs. the Twins. Has to. They lose, and the lead over the Yankees and Red Sox is only two games. I don't think they can hold a two-game lead at this point.

- If Cleveland misses the playoffs, they can point to this game as the reason why. They get out to a 3-0 lead over the worst team in the majors and can't hold it in a crucial late-season game? That's bad.

Bottom 6TH B:1 S:3 O:1

Jerome Williams strikes out swinging, catcher Brad Ausmus to first baseman Mike Lamb.

Bottom 6TH B:0 S:0 O:2

Jose Macias flies out to center fielder Willy Taveras.

Bottom 6TH B:1 S:0 O:3

Neifi Perez grounds out, third baseman Morgan Ensberg to first baseman Mike Lamb.

Why are those two in the one-two spot, again? Cubs are doing their best to get the Astros into the playoffs. Pettitte's still down 1-0, but he's thrown 30 fewer pitches than Williams through six.

With the A's playoff hopes almost gone the only thing I'm hoping for now (beyond the Giants not making it which seems safe) is the Indians winning the Wild Card. The nation must be spared a third straight Yankees/Red Sox ALCS at all costs.

With the A's playoff hopes almost gone the only thing I'm hoping for now (beyond the Giants not making it which seems safe) is the Indians winning the Wild Card. The nation must be spared a third straight Yankees/Red Sox ALCS at all costs.

Were the first two not great? I thought thats what you want in a postseason series?

I didn't watch a single moment of either series. I'd rather watch any two teams in baseball play each other than those two. It's not their fault, it's just the media has over exposed the rivalry to the point where I have no interest in seeing them play each other.

Cubs take the lead again and draw three straight walks. That last part would be great news if it didn't mean the leadoff hitter, the offensive juggarnaut that is Jose Macias, came to the plate. And naturally, he weakly grounds out. Watch this come back to bite them in the ass.

It's overkill. Even I don't want it this year. If the series goes 7 games, that'll make 78 H2H meetings in three years, WAY too much if you add in all the media hype.

Has anybody seen this before?  Frank Cant.  reaches on an error bluff towards second base posada throws the ball to Giambi and he tags out Frank Cant and the umpire calls him out for motioning towards second as he stumbled while running up the first base line.

Yes actually. You can overrun first base, but if you motion towards second, you are an active baserunner.

I might have to murder the entire Padres team if they let the Giants win the division. Four game series coming up with a four game lead. The Padres better at least get a split.

Guest TheDon
Has anybody seen this before?  Frank Cant.  reaches on an error bluff towards second base posada throws the ball to Giambi and he tags out Frank Cant and the umpire calls him out for motioning towards second as he stumbled while running up the first base line.

Yes actually. You can overrun first base, but if you motion towards second, you are an active baserunner.

I know al, what I meant is has anybody ever seen it happen before in a game?