TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

This Week In Baseball

Lots of scoreboard watching tonight as the Red Sox, Yankees and Astros play sub-.500 teams. The big matchup of course is Indians/White Sox, as Kevin Millwood pitches against Freddy Garcia. The Indians have a chance to make the greatest comeback in baseball history, coming from as far as 15 back. The Sox are still five games up on a playoff berth however, and a series win would effectively seal the season.

Now when it comes to the Phillies, it is the biggest collapse, but when it comes to White Sox, it's the Indians making the greatest comeback...

I assume you are referring to the 1964 club. Really it was both, as when the Phils lost 10 straight, the Reds won nine straight and the Cardinals won eight straight. Overall, I find that these noteworthy collapses are more the result of the team doing the chasing. People forget the 1978 Red Sox won 99 games. The 1942 Brooklyn Dodgers won 104 games. The 1951 Brooklyn Dodgers won 96 games. The Chicago White Sox have 90 wins with 14 to play. Most years, you will cruise into the playoffs with those kind of win totals, but sometimes there is a determined team that refuses to lose. There are exceptions of course (witness the 1995 California Angels).

Guest Fishyswa

I love the Yankee's schedule right now, in the quest to take the division, we go from finally beating up Tampa, to 2 weeks of playing Toronto and Baltimore, all leadng up to the final series with Boston. It's like the final stage before the last boss in a video game.

Now when it comes to the Phillies, it is the biggest collapse, but when it comes to White Sox, it's the Indians making the greatest comeback...

Yeah yeah. Blacks loot, whites find. Blah blah fucking blah. Only the Chicago White Sox can let a giant lead slip away and STILL not have the negative spotlight on them.

Craig Hansen strikes out two in his first major league inning. And to think, the Yanks passed on this guy for a SS (going to play where?) hitting .249 in the Gulf Coast League.

Good news for all the Phillies fans and all the Marlins fan (ok, me)...

Houston is down 6-0 to the Pirates. 1.0 and 2.0 GB for the Phils and Marlins respectively.

And, I think after this, Clemens is out of the Cy Young race.

Bubba Crosby with a walk off. Won't be suprised to see him get knocked down tomorrow after that stylin' hop.

Good to see Wang back in form tonight. His fastball was back at 94-96, and everything was down down down.

Craig Hansen strikes out two in his first major league inning. And to think, the Yanks passed on this guy for a SS (going to play where?) hitting .249 in the Gulf Coast League.

With the increased coverage the MLB Draft has received, there's a tendency to misunderstand what goes on. First off, you usually don't neglect positions in the draft because you have a star in the majors. You might draft pitchers over hitters, or infielders over outfielders, but you do not get that specific. Jeter will be in his mid-30s by the time Henry reaches the majors (assuming he does), and Jeter may move to center or elsewhere by then.

Second, draftees are almost always center fielders, shortstops, catchers or pitchers. If a high school player plays a lesser defensive position, chances are he is not much of an athlete compared to someone else on his team. If there's a positional blockage, Henry can learn a new position, no big deal.

And here's the key. That a player reaches the majors quickly does not mean one team outdrafted another. Looking for an example, in 1989 the Orioles drafted Ben McDonald 1st overall, who reached the majors that year. The Twins drafted Chuck Knoblauch 25th, who wouldn't reach the majors til '91, but helped the Twins win a world championship, and had a better career. It is WAY too early to tell.

Finally, while Henry's batting average was low, he showed exceptional plate discipline, some power, and speed.

Maybe I went to far as to totally play off Henry. I'm just wondering how, I think, 19 teams, let this stud go by?

I'm not saying he's the best. It's all guesswork, and I don't know how he'll do overall. I do know however that college closers will peak much earlier than high school draftees.

Hell yeah, Cleveland.

I'm gonna make a point of seeing the next two games in this series. If they're even half as good as this one was, they'll be worth watching.

Oh, but he's just playing the numbers! Seriously, if it works, it's all good, but I cringe watching tight Sox games in the late innings because Ozzie seems to empty his pen to get three or four outs.

The needle seems to be passing E right now for the Red Sox. They just seem to be completely worn down right now, with guys like Foulke openly hoping that the season is almost over. Management tried a few different things this season, but Rentaria is the Bust of '05 (more for his defense, since his offense is about where he is career-wise), the bullpen became a total mess and the rotation was too shaky (Clement especially).

I'm seeing some big changes in the offseason this year. Namely, trading Manny to the Mets, trying to shop around Foulke, stocking the pen with the young prospects (Hansen was VERY impressive) and trying to improve the rotation much more.

Speaking of running on E I'd say the White Sox are on fumes at this point too. Cleveland is absolutely terrifying right now and I dare say someone is looking at not making the playoffs here (Red Sox?).

Guest Brian

God, I'm starting to think Cleveland may get their series finally. And with that offense, they'll be excellent for a number of years. Al, do you have a read on any of the prospects that are coming out of that org?

God, I just wish there was some way that the Red Sox and Yankees could both miss the playoffs.

I'm finding that at this point, I can't decide which one I hate more so my rooting interest is extremely lacking.

Actually, that's not true. The fact is that despite being a died-in-the-wool Yankee hater for life, I've actually grown to hate the Red Sox more.

Seeing the highlights of the Yankees/Orioles game tonight, I actually started to smile at the thought of the Red Sox missing the playoffs. I felt so dirty; it was like getting a boner over your sister or something.

Let's see what's on tap for Monday...that matter, anyhoo.

Yanks Vs. Orioles

Red Sox Vs. Rays

Indians Vs. White Sox

Athletics Vs. Twins

Angels Vs. Rangers

Phillies Vs. Braves

Marlins Vs. Mets

Astros Vs. Pirates

I think the AL East takes care of business.

White Sox get one back.

A's gain one game.

Braves should handle the Phillies, given the pitching, but you never know. I'm pullin' for more hurting done to the NL East leaders.

Management tried a few different things this season, but Rentaria is the Bust of '05 (more for his defense, since his offense is about where he is career-wise), the bullpen became a total mess and the rotation was too shaky (Clement especially).

Renteria? He's not been especially good, but there are far worse busts. Russ Ortiz owns a 6.73 ERA in 21 starts. Adrian Beltre has posted a .299 OBP. Eric Milton takes the cake for his 6.84 ERA in 32 starts, becoming to my knowledge only the third pitcher to give up 40+ home runs two years in a row. The difference is that it took Robin Roberts and Bert Blyleven over 250 innings a season to do it.

God, I'm starting to think Cleveland may get their series finally. And with that offense, they'll be excellent for a number of years. Al, do you have a read on any of the prospects that are coming out of that org?

Certainly. The Indians have several young prospects on the rise. Catcher Ryan Garko would normally be a good prospect, but with Victor Martinez on the scene, he may be trade bait. Franklin Gutierrez (acquired in the Milton Bradley trade) is a nice young center fielder, but again he's got Grady Sizemore and Covelli Crisp to contend with at the big club. Fernando Cabrera dominated in AAA out of the bullpen, and he has now posted a 1.27 ERA with Cleveland in 21.3 IP. Adam Miller faces injury issues, but he's near the top of pitching prospect lists. The Indians probably have one of the top five farm systems in baseball.

Guest TheDon

I think everybody knew that Eric Milton would be horrible so I wouldn't call that a bust. I know Yankee fans including himself were having a collective heart attack when the Yankees were supposedly talking to him during the off season last year.

Tonight may be the most important start of the year for Schilling. They're only up by ½ game on the Yanks right now and have lost 7 of 12. They need to win the division, since if the White Sox fall to the Tribe and Cleveland takes the division the White Sox win the wildcard and the Red Sox are fucked.

I don't want to overstate it, but this game is a MUST win. Period.