TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Ghost of bps21

Bound For Glory

Guest *KNK*
I'm wondering if they'll mention Strong winning Survival of the Fittest on commentary Saturday, with Joe going out first in that match they may choose to ignore it

It's not like they would say "Roderick Strong defeated Samoa Joe in the begining of the match last saturday in ROH's Survival Of The Fittest event".

They could pass it along to "boost" credibility to Strong by saying "Roderick Strong is a rising superstar on the independent scene who just recently was victorious in the prestigious Survival of the Fittest event in Ring of Honor."

I want to know how and if they will get Aries and Strong onto the show.

I'd like to see them just stick Aries and Strong together as a tag team using the whole "after Unbreakable, these two warriors formed a mutal respect for each other and decided to conquer the tag team scene" situation unless they go ahead and acknowledge their ROH roots.

They did mention their being in a group together in another company (not sure if they specifically said ROH) on the Unbreakable PPV

Monty Brown revealed his BFG opponent in an interview from PWI. Here's what he said:

The Big Mosh then mentioned the Bound For Glory Pay-Per-View coming up, and Monty’s match-up against former NWA World Heavyweight Champion, Raven. Monty states that it’s an honor to be on the show, wrestling Raven, and is glad that the management in TNA is allowing him to be in such a high caliber match at their biggest ever Pay-Per View. The Big Mosh then asked about how he will train going into this match, which Monty answers by saying his training is always the same, straight forward, and the hardest working, always being the first to arrive and the last to leave.

Having not read the Impact spoilers, I don't know if this was set up for next week's show or will be set up later. But I'd imagine that this will be a #1 Contender's match with both guy's claiming that spot. IMO, it's a good way to keep both guys in a high profile match since they're not putting them in the ME. I think they would have gotten lost in the shuffle if they were involved in the Monster's Ball. Thoughts?

Guest JesusJuiced

There's a great Liger/Joe promo video now at TNAWrestling.com

Thus far, it's the only match to get promo treatment.

Hrmmm...Brown/Raven does have some possibilities, even though the BFG main should be Raven/Jarrett, or at least have Raven/Jarrett on an Impact before BFG (just for the sake of enacting the standard rematch clause). If Brown's improved as much as people say he has, and Raven's motivated like he has been the past few months, we're looking at possibly the second best match on the card (not from a workrate standpoint, but from a drama/entertainment standpoint).

I'm not familiar with the chemistry between the two, but I'm interested in seeing how they work together. Will Raven bust out his usual tricks DESPITE there being a Monster's Ball match on the same card? Will Brown blade? Will Raven eat the Pounce? Will Brown succumb to the Raven Effect?

Wow. I haven't been this hyped for TNA in 2 years.

Oh boy, seeing Nash Vs. Jarrett again makes me really want to see this PPV....

Guest *KNK*

It's WCW 1997 all over again. Wicked undercard and tremendously shitty main event.

It's WCW 1997 all over again. Wicked undercard and tremendously shitty main event.

WCW main events were often DUDs to * matches.

Jarrett-Nash, if they repeat their last match, will be ** or more.

Still not a great main event, but it's not tremendously shitty. Plus, guys like Jarrett and Nash being in the main event are necessary evils. The undercard is almost guaranteed to be great.

Still not a great main event, but it's not tremendously shitty. Plus, guys like Jarrett and Nash being in the main event are necessary evils. The undercard is almost guaranteed to be great.

But in the end, those "necessary evils" are what killed WCW, no matter how phenomenal the undercard was.

But in the end, those "necessary evils" are what killed WCW, no matter how phenomenal the undercard was.

Well, you're right that it was one of the main reasons why WCW no longer exists with us today. Escpecially after the Starrcade 97 screwjob gone wrong, and the fingerpoke of doom. TNA can't afford to be reusing these guys too much. For BFG it's fine, but they definetely have to create new Main Eventers if they want the product to stay completely fresh.

I completely agree, Dragon, and I remember screaming at WCW for that during its last few years of existence. Alas, too little, too late, and I think that's what'll happen to TNA.

TNA isn't going to wise up and decide "hey, we need to stop pushing OUR BOSS and other has-beens, and start looking to the younger, newer guys who can step up, offer something new, and make us some money". For three years, TNA has told us that AJ Styles is "the future", but not yet has he gotten real superstar treatment. Truth and Raven were treated like jokes. Monty and Abyss, no matter what their talent, are given excuses why they can't headline. Its the same stuff WCW said to excuse the glass ceiling. All the while, opportunities are missed, potential money isn't made, and eventually the chances go away altogether.

I'd like to think that TNA will decide to phase out the older names and start building up newer guys to carry the company. But history has taught us that in those situations, the established guys don't do that. More specifically, JEFF JARRETT doesn't do that. We're in for the same WCW-lite main event scene that will always act as a ball-and-chain to a terrific undercard. Eventually the viewers will get sick of seeing JJ always come out on top while the guys who SHOULD be at the top of the company keep getting screwed.

Right now they're debuting on a new network. Saturday alone their audience tripled, meaning that guys like AJ and Ron Killings need to be built up again. If we're still seeing guys like Jarrett and Nash main eventing in six months, then it'll be appropriate to be pissed off.

Honestly, I don't want AJ in the main event long term. He's a tremendous worker, but he's too small. I only began to buy a guy like Benoit as a main eventer when he juiced up.

On Killings' possible future main event role:

On the Spike debut of Impact, 3LK were portrayed as big stars in the company simply because they came out and brawled with Jarrett and AMW. Truth is the best member of 3LK in the ring and on the stick, and easily has the best look of the group (since he's still in shape and all). New fans see them, and they see Truth, and they'll go "who's that black guy hanging out with Konnan and Road Dogg?"

Then they'll see him in the ring, and say "you know, that guy ain't too bad." They'll hear him on the mic, and say "you know, that guy ain't too bad." Then they'll see him in a match with somebody who actually knows how to work, and they'll say "you know, this guy is pretty fucking cool."

All TNA needs to do to push Truth back into the main event scene is to give him mic time and a singles feud with somebody in at LEAST the upper-midcard. Perhaps give him a shot at being #1 Contender. His charisma, passable in-ring ability (and I'm copping out by saying that, as I think he's DAMN GOOD), and look will take care of the rest, and soon he'll be popular enough to take on Jarrett again.

On Killings' possible future main event role:

On the Spike debut of Impact, 3LK were portrayed as big stars in the company simply because they came out and brawled with Jarrett and AMW. Truth is the best member of 3LK in the ring and on the stick, and easily has the best look of the group (since he's still in shape and all). New fans see them, and they see Truth, and they'll go "who's that black guy hanging out with Konnan and Road Dogg?"

Then they'll see him in the ring, and say "you know, that guy ain't too bad." They'll hear him on the mic, and say "you know, that guy ain't too bad." Then they'll see him in a match with somebody who actually knows how to work, and they'll say "you know, this guy is pretty fucking cool."

All TNA needs to do to push Truth back into the main event scene is to give him mic time and a singles feud with somebody in at LEAST the upper-midcard. Perhaps give him a shot at being #1 Contender. His charisma, passable in-ring ability (and I'm copping out by saying that, as I think he's DAMN GOOD), and look will take care of the rest, and soon he'll be popular enough to take on Jarrett again.

I agree Laz. I honestly think that if Monty doesn't break out like TNA seems to be banking on, Truth is there best shot at it. In TNA's three short years, he has managed to get over enough to be the top heel and the top face (based more on crowd reactions than TNA's plans for him, since they never seem to have any), only to have his balls cut off by Jarrett. TNA needs to push Truth to the title level and keep him there. He's not "homegrown," but he's pretty dayum close. And if they can just pushing Rhino to the top by his Heat appearances, they can justify pushing Truth to the top by his Raw cameos.

Forget this "homegrown" bullshit. NONE of TNA's stars are "homegrown." Styles was a star in NWA Wildside and RoH before TNA. Jarrett was a star in the WWF and WCW before TNA. Christopher Daniels was a star in Japan, various SoCal indies, and RoH before TNA. Samoa Joe was a star in RoH before TNA. And all of the new guys they're bringing in - Nash, Team 3D - were all big names elsewhere first.

Truth is the closest thing to an honest-to-goodness homegrown star they have. He wasn't over in the WWF due to being just another dancing negro (seriously, that's not meant to be offensive, it was true), but he came to TNA, cut some money promo's, carried HERMIE FUCKING SADLER to an entertaining match, and had good matches with Ken Shamrock, LowKi, Jerry Lynn, and Jeff Jarrett. The man was TNA's top non-X star until he was jobbed to Jarrett.

Who do they have for homegrown guys right now? Just Monty Brown, and I doubt he'll get over the way TNA wants him to, mainly because of how "out there" his gimmick truly is (and that most TNA fans are into him simply because of how weird he is). Truth is their best shot at bringing in newer, younger, more "hip" fans, since - GET THIS - they can have a main event wrestler with a rapper gimmick who actually WAS a rapper before he became a wrestler, actually CAN rap good, and actually CAN have a good match.

Basically, Truth is TNA's answer to John Cena, only a hundred times better in every which way.

Was a star in Puerto Rico before TNA as Justice, I do believe. Or Prince Justice, or whatever. As far as the States goes, he's a TNA homegrown, but in reality? Nope.

Being in Puerto Rico, Japan, or US indies isn't exactly being a star though, is it? Most people had little exposure to guys like Styles and Daniels before they were on TNA, so that is really where they got known.

I think TNA is a promotion in transition right now, going from mom and pop Jarrett outfit to potential national promotion. I know that Jarrett and his dad started the promotion, but for the life of me I don't know why they swear by him so much.

It's my opinion that they'd be better off with guys on top that most casual fans have never heard of, rather than old WCW retreads who are 100% guarranteed not to draw money.

But they're not HOMEGROWN. A HOMEGROWN star is somebody that received their first bit of fame through the company, or was signed to the company as a rookie and blew up in it. Styles and Daniels were stars elsewhere before coming to TNA, thus are not homegrown stars. Styles is as homegrown a TNA star as Rey Mysterio Jr. was a homegrown WCW star. Would anybody ever say Rey was homegrown WCW? Of course not, because he had stardom elsewhere first, so why even think about Styles being a homegrown TNA star when it's a similar situation?

I'd say TNA's homegrown stars right now would be America's Most Wanted, The Naturals, Chris Sabin, and Monty Brown. Possibly Team Canada, since they never worked any BIG indies before coming to TNA (again, unlike Styles/Daniels, who worked RoH shows before TNA).