TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AmericanDragon

Family Guy 9/25

I'm convinced many of you are insane.

American Dad is STILL a BAD show. I don't give a shit how much you piss and moan about Family Guy having overlong jokes or how YOU don't feel it's as good as it once was, it's still light years above American Dad. Hell, Simpsons, as tired as it is, is funnier than AD. I'm quite frankly shocked that many of the same people responsible for FG are responsible for AD, because there is a dramatic drop in quality from the one to the other.

Oh my god ABOBO is reading this thread.

Yeah, to add to the argument, I really liked Family Guy after it was cancelled, but ever since it came back, I barely find the time to watch it. When I do, it's never mind-blowing. I know this sounds weird, but I think a lot of people (not necessarily you guys) like it just to say they like it.

Example: I just started college. I'm in English 101 right now, and we're going over argumentive papers. Our teacher asked us to come up with a statement we could back up with evidence. Some guy just said "Family Guy is the best show on TV". The class agreed that they all loved and watched Family Guy. When asked to come up with reasons why, the entire class went blank. In ten minutes, they came up with three reasons: 1)It was cancelled and came back 2)It's funny and 3)It sold well on DVD. I'll admit to not liking many of the people in there because they seem to lack the intelligence to hold a discussion, but I thought that was rather telling.

I am suprised that nobody has mentioned it. I loved the Dazed and Confused reference when Chris was getting paddled while they played No more Mr. Nice guy.

I mark out like a little girl for that scene

Yeah, to add to the argument, I really liked Family Guy after it was cancelled, but ever since it came back, I barely find the time to watch it. When I do, it's never mind-blowing. I know this sounds weird, but I think a lot of people (not necessarily you guys) like it just to say they like it.

Example: I just started college. I'm in English 101 right now, and we're going over argumentive papers. Our teacher asked us to come up with a statement we could back up with evidence. Some guy just said "Family Guy is the best show on TV". The class agreed that they all loved and watched Family Guy. When asked to come up with reasons why, the entire class went blank. In ten minutes, they came up with three reasons: 1)It was cancelled and came back 2)It's funny and 3)It sold well on DVD. I'll admit to not liking many of the people in there because they seem to lack the intelligence to hold a discussion, but I thought that was rather telling.

It sounds to me like your English 101 class is just full of stupid shits, so I wouldn't go by what any of those folks say.

People, what about the cow gag? That was one of the funniest things ever to me. Not just on Family Guy, but out of just everything I've ever seen in my life. I grew up on a farm, yadda yadda, so maybe that had something to do with it. I just about died while watching that bit.

I love the long gags, I love the offensive humor, I love the delivery of just about all of the characters, etc... I'm also not quite sure what to make of what they are putting Meg thorugh this season. :lol:

I agree that this was not one of the better FG efforts, but it not current Simpsons bad by any means. But they did seem like they were just going through the motions. I did like the Caveman and Lou Gerigh (sp?) drawn out jokes, but the Will Farell one did expose most of the flaws of the new episodes. AD was solid, it's really starting to gain momentum after I was ready to swear it off after the first few episodes.

I just watched American Dad. I laughed at this episode from start to finish. I loved the opening helicopter crash!

"Wow, they sure can run can't they?"

"Why does everyone hate the juice?"

"Taking pride in not molesting unconscious patients since 1978."

It sounds to me like your English 101 class is just full of stupid shits, so I wouldn't go by what any of those folks say.

I'm not going to disagree with that. All's I'm saying is, in a room full of Family Guy fans that match the demographic, not one person could explain why it was a good show. I'm just glad I didn't bring up Arrested Development in there. I'd hate to here how unfunny those people thought it was. You know, even though they don't watch it.

Is anyone getting the DVD today or are we going with a separate thread for it?

I really don't understand the American Dad hate. Yeah, I didn't like the first two episodes either, but from there it got consistently better. I hear a lot of people say "it's improved this season" but it did, but it was still funny for most of it's first season, the only difference is that now it has become a bit more socially acceptable to like the show.

Family Guy seasons 1-3 are consistently my favorite episodes of any show I have ever seen. I love them. A lot of the season 4 episodes grew on me with repeat viewings. To be honest, season 5 has been fairly weak so far and American Dad has been by far the more entertaining show.

Guest Fishyswa

Are the shows even different enough to compare like that though? It just boils down to jokes working and not working, it's not like you can dislike the premise of one show and not the other, or dislike the style of humor of one show and not the other.

Family Guy definitely beats things into the ground with a lot more force though....

Simpsons was pretty good last Sunday, too. I think the worst days of the show are behind us. Even War at Home was pretty good. And King of the Hill.

In conclusion, Family Guy had the worst episode of the night.