TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Yankees-Red Sox Thread

We just need some youth in the outfield, and AJ Burnett. Maybe Eric Duncan can move to the outfield? I dunno.

But dammnit, a true fan would take that ulcer like a man.

I'll be glued to ESPN tonight.

BTW, for purposes of a tiebreaker, whats the Sox - Yankees series at so far this season?

Guest *KNK*

I wonder on a national scale, How many people really care anymore about the Red Sox

The former appeal was heavily assisted by the "Curse" factor that grew in alot of casual fans.

Cleveland is your "under dog" team but being in Cleveland doesn't help them and I haven't exactly seen a boom in Indians popularity...but Sox support doesn't seem as strong as it was last season.

So will America still care about the Sox even though they already slayed the Yankees and killed the "curse"?

BTW, Isn't it nice to go a whole season without hearing about that stupid fucking curse that never existed?

BTW, Isn't it nice to go a whole season without hearing about that stupid fucking curse that never existed?

Even though the Red Sox were disappointing this season, this was one of the greatest seasons of my life. No imaginary bullshit being spewed about Ruth and all that crap. It was nice.

All I keep thinking of with the Indians playing underdogs in the race is whether or not they have a tearaway cutout of Larry Dolan in their dressing room..."Every time we win, we tear a section".

I agree with the above comments regarding the Boston media. It is disgusting to watch, especially when the Red Sox have won 93 games at this point in the season. Yes they have some problems, but 93 wins is 93 wins. They have one of the best catchers in the league, one of the best center fielders, the best left fielder, and the best designated hitter. Everyone discounts Wakefield, but he's been the best starter on either the Sox or the Yankees this season. Both teams are flawed. So are the White Sox, Indians and Angels. It what makes this season so interesting.

I don't know what will happen this weekend. The Yankees have to be favorites to take the division since they are a game ahead. But all the analysis in the world can not predict a three game series. For both team, it's blast away and hope to win a slugfest. The only spot the Yankees clearly have an advantage is their closer Rivera.

Guest TheDon
From what I've read, the Yankees farm system isn't in shambles, its just most of their prospects aren't going to be ready for a long while. Or I could be wrong.

Did the say the same thing last year? Because Cano and Wang were nice suprises this year.

Guest I miss Test.
I'll be glued to ESPN tonight.

BTW, for purposes of a tiebreaker, whats the Sox - Yankees series at so far this season?

9-7 Yankees. Sox would have to sweep to take the series.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor..._bob&id=2176548

Al, could you further explain this... because it's quite confusing.

Now, if NY wins just 1 of 3... they'd win the AL East because they'd lead H2H with Boston 10-9. But, if Cleveland has the same record... then there'd be a playoff for the AL East. But, if Cleveland isn't tied with Boston... then there's no playoff for the AL East.

Oy.

As for the tiebreakers, let me see if I can explain this better.

If the Yankees win two or three, they win the AL East outright.

If the Red Sox win three, they win the AL East outright.

If the Red Sox win two of three, then we have a tie for the division. If both teams are tied with Cleveland (Cleveland would have to go 2-1), a convoluted playoff is necessary where the Yankees battle Boston. The winner takes the division, while the loser faces Cleveland for the wild card. If Cleveland has a better record (Cleveland sweeps), then its Sox/Yankees on Monday for the division and playoff berth.

If both teams have a better record than the Indians (Cleveland goes 1-2 or 0-3), no playoff is necessary because both the Sox and Yankees would advance to the Playoffs. The Yankees would win the division due to their head to head record for bookkeeping purposes.

Guest TheDon

There isn't any better way to do it. Lets say for example all 3 teams are tied. In the old format Boston would play the Yankees to see who wins the division. Cleveland would get a free pass into the playoffs while the loser of Boston/NY would be out of the playoffs. That isn't fair to any team.

This example almost happened in 1995. The Yankees finished the season one game above the Mariners and Angels. If all 3 teams has been tied. The Mariners and Angles would play game 163 against eachother and the Yankees would recieve a free pass into the playoffs. Luckily the Yankees were a game up.

Good god let's not start this bullshit again. Can't we just enjoy and discuss the games? Why does this shit matter?

It's like people see that I make a post and just start finding ways to start a flamewar.

Good god guys....just watch baseball.

Guest I miss Test.
If the Red Sox win two of three, then we have a tie for the division. If both teams are tied with Cleveland (Cleveland would have to go 2-1), a convoluted playoff is necessary where the Yankees battle Boston. The winner takes the division, while the loser faces Cleveland for the wild card. If Cleveland has a better record (Cleveland sweeps), then its Sox/Yankees on Monday for the division and playoff berth.

If both teams have a better record than the Indians (Cleveland goes 1-2 or 0-3), no playoff is necessary because both the Sox and Yankees would advance to the Playoffs. The Yankees would win the division due to their head to head record for bookkeeping purposes.

But a playoff is necessary.

Let's say NY-BOS is in the ALCS again. NY gets the home field, but BOS has a chance to get the home field in a playoff game if CLE is tied with them?

It's unnecessarily difficult to have it both ways like that. Either have a division playoff, or use the tiebreaker system. No matter what.

Plus, these teams are playing 162 freaking games to earn these privileges. And I'm sure winning the division means something to the players, and all employees of the teams involved. Would it really hurt to play one game on a Monday afternoon to settle these differences?

It's sad to see how ungrateful the Boston media and much of its fanbase has become since last October. This is the same team that hadn't won a championship since the beginning of the 20th century. Finally winning it all last year obviously didn't give them a free pass for another eight decades, but the way this team has been lambasted from all directions, is unsettling, but not all that surprising in the grand scope of things.

But a playoff is necessary.

Let's say NY-BOS is in the ALCS again. NY gets the home field, but BOS has a chance to get the home field in a playoff game if CLE is tied with them?

It's unnecessarily difficult to have it both ways like that. Either have a division playoff, or use the tiebreaker system. No matter what.

Plus, these teams are playing 162 freaking games to earn these privileges. And I'm sure winning the division means something to the players, and all employees of the teams involved. Would it really hurt to play one game on a Monday afternoon to settle these differences?

Hope field advantage would mean ONE extra home game in the entire playoffs. Using a key starter in a playoff would negate any advantage gained from that one game, so it's not worth it.

Guest Fishyswa

Ortiz should be walked everytime there's less than 3 runners on base.

As long as Wells is gone before the 8th we should be fine.

Guest TheDon

Congrats to the Boston Red Sox for winning the AL east. I do not trust the Yankees especially after last years ending. I personally want to thank Jorge Posada for striking out with the bases loaded with one out and for grounding out with runners at 2nd and 3rd with one out. Congrats to your AL east champion Red Sox.