TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

Brock to compete in New Japan

Furthermore was there any proof that Lesnar was a draw?

Yes, but a lot of people don't want to accept it.

And what proof is this? I think he CAN draw...but did he? I have no clue, thats why I'm asking.

Guest nokia

IWGP champion Kazuyuki Fujita will face Masahiro Chono and former WWE champion, Brock Lesnar in Lesnar's first match since Wrestlemania XX, it was announced in Japan. Thanks to www.PuroresuFan.com for their help

Stu on SSS says there is a rumor going around the Japanese message boards that Lesnar has signed a 1-year $1m contract with New Japan with a view to having him tour and get a serious push.

Unless Lesnar and WWE have settled their lawsuit and it hasn't come out, then Lesnar hasn't signed any contract. Then again, he's officially been announced as taking part at the Dome show next month, so I guess New Japan could at least be under the impression they've signed him for a year. Whether McDevitt has anything to say about this remains to be seen.

SOMETHING is up, because a appearance and a contract are in two totally different legal fields. My prediction is that he will be allowed to make the appearance as promised, but that's it at this point.

Stu on SSS says there is a rumor going around the Japanese message boards that Lesnar has signed a 1-year $1m contract with New Japan with a view to having him tour and get a serious push.

Man, Inoki is really trying to stir up shit, isn't he? (in a money-grubbing, McMahon-esque kind of way)

Lesnar probably got some sort of ruling that allows him to work while the case is up in the air, or he's been sold on that happening if WWE challenges this. Either that or he's got the WWE's blessing (maybe they're the ones who are holding up a deal and want to see the goods first). Id imagine if there was an absolute ruling in the case we'd have heard something about it. I can't imagine New Japan hyping all this without being reasonably certain he'll actually come in, though stranger things have certainly happened.

One idea that I've heard, is that New Japan could be getting Brock, in exchange for using their money and power to fight WWE over his contract. NJPW is probably the only wrestling company that could challenge WWE in a court case.

I really dunno if NJPW is CAPABLE of such a long-term investment...but if that is the case, then I'd say that contract will be in a major fucking war real soon. NJPW considers Brock one of the most major signings they could ever make, and think he could be the way to break into the American market, their goal for god knows how long.

If Inoki is behind this, and fully supporting it, NJPW's preparing for a war.

I can see the judge ruling the no-compete clause is excessive as far as timing. One year is one thing...but six years is something else entirely.

As far as Brock wrestling in Japan...he's less of a threat to the WWE than if he was to sign with TNA or ROH. New Japan gets nowhere near the exposure here it should. There is a lot of top talent there that can put on great shows. But unless you are looking for it you don't see a whole lot of New Japan here in the States.

Vince probably figures at this point that it's OK for him to ply his trade for now in the Land of the Rising Sun...with the option of starting up the fight again if he yearns to re-sign stateside down the road.

Ironically, there's also word that New Japan is trying to get their 10/8 Dome show to air on North American PPV. I'd imagine that might make things a wee bit more interesting with regards to McMahon's opinion about Brock competing for NJPW.

Well, its good to see Brock trying to be able to wrestle, but I was hoping he'd come back to WWE after all. I guess the negotiations news wasn't a work. :(

102.jpg

IMO, looking like this, he doesn't have a shot at the WWE again. And by 'this' I mean, that ugly ass tattoo on his stomach, and fat. (Im sort of digging the goatee though)

On The LAW last night, Meltzer thinks that WWE legal have got word that they'll probably lose the case, so they're trying to settle the case in a manner that doesn't damage the strength of the non-compete clause in their contracts so that wrestlers can't leave WWE and then go straight to another company in the future. Meltzer thinks the match is going to happen.

Any word of it being on US PPV? I would order it an a heartbeat.

I would imagine that Lesnar's match would be blacked out in the US version of this event. The same thing happened when Vader worked for UWF-I in Japan back in 1993; when the show aired in the US, his match was taken off the PPV.

Guest karlitoapple
On The LAW last night, Meltzer thinks that WWE legal have got word that they'll probably lose the case, so they're trying to settle the case in a manner that doesn't damage the strength of the non-compete clause in their contracts so that wrestlers can't leave WWE and then go straight to another company in the future. Meltzer thinks the match is going to happen.

Any word on if Lesnar will be able to work for groups like TNA or would WWE just try to settle by allowing him to work in Japan, but still keep him out of U.S. groups

that want to compete? Also, anything on him ever returning to WWE?

Any word on if Lesnar will be able to work for groups like TNA or would WWE just try to settle by allowing him to work in Japan, but still keep him out of U.S. groups

that want to compete? Also, anything on him ever returning to WWE?

He'd only be allowed to work in Japan. Will he return to WWE? If things work out for him in New Japan, then that would get more unlikely the longer he stays in New Japan.

I'm banking he probrably cannot work for any group like TNA. NJPW isn't a threat because they have no penetration to the US market outside of puro tape traders. I think the WWE has no issue with him working in NJPW. Their probrably not thrilled with it, but it's better than going to court, possibly losing out, and then having the clause completely null and void. In that instance, TNA would probrably throw the world and hookers through Brock's window in an attempt to sign him.

It's a sweet deal for Lesnar in that he appears to want to work in NJPW, he'll get a monster push, and he'll work a schedule that is way, way lighter than WWE.

As far as him ever returning to WWE, I would never say never. Obviously right now things are not even close, but if and when the oppurtunity were to arise and the cards are all in place, Vince would accept just about anyone back. He's already shown that.

As far as him ever returning to WWE, I would never say never. Obviously right now things are not even close, but if and when the oppurtunity were to arise and the cards are all in place, Vince would accept just about anyone back. He's already shown that.

If he's smart, Lesnar will stick to New Japan. It's just much less stressful than WWE, and he'd never have to worry about revenge booking. Even if Vince does take him because he gets desperate, sooner or later Vince will try to embarrass Lesnar to pay him back for walking out.

Guest *KNK*

If he's smart, Lesnar will stick to New Japan. It's just much less stressful than WWE, and he'd never have to worry about revenge booking. Even if Vince does take him because he gets desperate, sooner or later Vince will try to embarrass Lesnar to pay him back for walking out.

I'll go ahead and counter someone's counter to that comment and save that person time.

Brock Lesnar is not Hulk Hogan. Hulk Hogan never worried about revenge booking because he's Hulk fucking Hogan.

Vince McMahon's ego and tendency to "revenge" book is historic, ranging from Goldberg to Eric Bischoff to WCW.

WWE Might have created Brock Lesnar but Vince would have no problem risking certain creative and finacial success to stroke his ego and bury Lesnar.

The only way I see Lesnar coming back is if he manages to get that Hogan contract with creative control and limited schedule...

Vince McMahon doesn't care enough to do that so Brock will never be back for some time and the North American fanbase will miss out on seeing Brock Lesnar in his prime.

The Dome event has been officially announced as being a live PPV in Japan, but the US version, if there ever is one, will obviously be delayed. If Lesnar is confirmed as taking part, then I'll be looking to get this from one of the usual places as soon as possible.

Brock Lesnar vs. Kenta Kobashi = 65,000 + Tokyo Dome sell-out.

Let Satoshi Kojima be the guy who hands Brock his first pinfall loss in Japan though. Sure, it might not draw a sell-out Tokyo Dome but Japan, in general, needs a hero of some sort of native "Monster Gaijin" killer like Inoki and Kojima's young enough to wrestle for another 10 + years for this to see a return, barring bad Kojima booking. Matches against Sasaki, Misawa, Tenzan, Kaz Fujita, Kawada, Tenryu, Muto, and even Nagata could be a nice run of opponents for Brock to run over. If Takayama is healthy again, throw him into the pile of dead bodies as well.

If I'm not mistaken, Goldberg's also a freelance wrestler...

New Japan could put on the mother of all rematches if they can get Goldberg to agree to job to Brock. The company could also make a boatload of cash too.

Promote, promote, promote though. Lesnar vs. anyone in Japan needs to be booked and promoted strongly.

Fuck, get Hogan to even lay down for Brock one more time in some tag team legends match in Japan. Hogan/Chono vs. Lesnar/Morgan might suck major donkey balls but it could put some extra butts in seats.

I'm just trying to think about every way Japan could milk the shit out Brock while giving new life to the stale heavy's scene too.

As much as I'd love to see that, I get the feeling if Lesnar ends up in Japan, NJPW ain't letting him go over to NOAH, who are smoking them despite business in Japan being in the toilet right now.

The companies have done business before though, so things can't be too hostile with the front offices. If Simon Inoki is smart, he'll help spread the Brock love all over Japan.

As much as I'd love to see that, I get the feeling if Lesnar ends up in Japan, NJPW ain't letting him go over to NOAH, who are smoking them despite business in Japan being in the toilet right now.

New Japan would be agreeable to Lesnar going to NOAH if he was going to win, but there lies the problem, because Misawa is notorious for not wanting outsiders to go over NOAH guys unless it's to set up a NOAH guy winning in the end.

Lesnar vs Kobashi would be an awesome match, because Lesnar can work like crazy, and Kobashi has the intangibles needed to make the match truly special.

Lesnar vs Sasaki would be stiff as hell.

Lesnar vs Nagata would be awesome too, because their amateur backgrounds would lead to some blistering exchanges on the mat.

Takayama might not be wrestling ever again, and even if he was, I don't want to see him wrestle Lesnar. It might be a great match, but I don't want to see Takayama take any more punishment.

I'd keep Tenzan away from Lesnar. A win over Tenzan would mean little because he doesn't mean much anymore thanks to some terrible booking, and a win for Tenzan would damage Lesnar too much because of Tenzan's lack of credibility.

"Firefox prevented this site from opening 4 popup windows".

Yeah, screw you PWI.

On 9/21, Brock Lesnar's civil lawsuit against World Wrestling Entertainment was referred to Magistrate Judge William I. Garfinkel for a settlement conference, so it appears the two sides are attempting to end the case. The day before, Judge Christopher Droney approved a move to seal all documents regarding the case, although testimonies given during any courtroom appearances would not fall under that umbrella.

The former WWE champion is set to make a debut for New Japan Pro Wrestling at their 10/8 Tokyo Dome event, facing IWGP champion Kazuyuki Fujita and Masahiro Chono in a Three-Way match. Antonio Inoki has hinted to the Japanese media that Jesse Ventura may accompany Lesnar, although there is nothing concrete to those claims at this point. Former WWE stars Charlie Haas, Mark Jindrak, and Matt Morgan are also booked on the Dome event.

well then....

Here comes the pain

Meanwhile, the rules for the main event were clarified. It will be regular 60 minutes/1 fall title formula, meaning the person who gets the first pinfall or submission will win the match, and it won't follow Dogfight/Elimination Match rules. So theoretically, Fujita could lose the title without even dropping the fall, or in other words Chono or Lesnar could win it without even pinning/submitting the champion, which means Fujita will have to be on high alert and at his best. New Japan posted a long introduction to Lesnar, including a recent promo shot of him and photos of him sparring with Inoki before he joined WWE. All three men have given comments on the match. Brock said that the keyword for him in this match is "strategy", he is building a strategy that will allow him to flourish in this unique environment (which he has experienced before in WWE). Brock wants to beat Fujita, because he is the symbol of not only New Japan's strength, but Japan's as a whole. He said he will win the title and become a real champion for New Japan. Fujita said it is the ideal fight for him, as not only does he have chance to avenge his G1 final loss to Chono, but also take on America's strongest. Fujita said not only his title, but his pride will be on the line, and should he win, he may advance on the U.S. with his belt. Chono has his own strategy and that is to use his head - not literally (like Tenzan), but meaning he will utilize his superior brainpower to defeat the two monsters in there with him.

From SSS

At least if Lesnar isn't getting the belt, which he shouldn't at this stage, he doesn't have to do the job. The only logical finish here now is for Fujita to beat Chono.

Knowing that it's going to be a one fall contest, I don't think Brock is going to win anymore.

He shouldn't have anyway, but at least now he doesn't have to do the job. Fujita should pin Chono, no matter what the status of Lesnar is. Then, if Lesnar is in full-time, they can build to Lesnar vs. Fujita in January.