TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

NHL Thread

Rumours on Montreal radio yesterday that the NHL is looking to send two of their worst attendance-wise teams to Winnipeg and Quebec City as soon as 2007-2008 season. This is due in part ot the fact that Canadian ratings for the NHL are growing big time, while American ratings are as bad as before.

I know it's a rumour, but I would love the return of the Jets and the Nordiques.

Islanders could be an option since having two New York teams is pretty pointless, and the Rangers are the only team people care about.

They have a good owner in Charles Wang. The Islanders just need to get rid of Milbury and get started on the new Coliseum complex, and their attendance would rise.

Someone on the Flames pissed off Lady Luck. In the last five minutes of the game tonight:

- Ritchie gets called for delay of game after getting tripped and falling on the puck

- Sharks get a lucky tip, 2-1 Flames.

- Amonte and Iginla on a 2-on-1. Iginla with a perfect pass, Amonte has a sure goal... the puck hops over his stick.

- Face-off with 40 seconds left. They win it back to Warrener, who can dump it in and kill lots of time... puck hops over his stick into the Calgary corner, where the Sharks pick it up.

- Stuart shoots from the point, and it deflects twice, including one off of our own d-man in front. 2-2.

Seriously, we couldn't buy a bounce right now if we exchanged legal currency for one.

I definitely agree they shouldn't give a point for losing in overtime, but I still can't get myself to accept the concept of the shootout.  You got a team game, closely played and still undecided after 3 periods and overtime, so the game will now be decided by a matchup of a lone skater vs. a goalie?  When the way the game is decided changes like that, both teams ought to be awarded at least one point or else it's a complete rip-off for the team that loses the shootout.  The NHL should expand overtime to at least 10 minutes, too.

Baseball is a team game that is decided by a hitter vs. a pitcher. Just because the second baseman can't do anything about the winning home run doesn't make it less of a win.

But many different things can happen in baseball to create scoring plays. It's not like baseball games can be decided by home-run derbies.

I went to the Boston-NJ game on Saturday, and after seeing the shootout in person for the first time, I really feel the need to reiterate what I've said since day 1: it sucks, and has NO place in the NHL. Yeah, I'm sure that if the B's had won in the SO, I'd be less down on it ... but it just felt so unnatural to watch 65 minutes of actual hockey and then have the game be decided on a skills competition.

I really think that moving forward, I'm leaving at the end of the OT ... I can just find out who 'won' the game later.

I went to the Boston-NJ game on Saturday, and after seeing the shootout in person for the first time, I really feel the need to reiterate what I've said since day 1: it sucks, and has NO place in the NHL.  Yeah, I'm sure that if the B's had won in the SO, I'd be less down on it ... but it just felt so unnatural to watch 65 minutes of actual hockey and then have the game be decided on a skills competition. 

I really think that moving forward, I'm leaving at the end of the OT ... I can just find out who 'won' the game later.

Niskie's sexual quirks have been well documented, but I didn't know he liked kissing his sister, too.

I've enjoyed what few shootouts that I've seen (especially the Wild v. Blue Jackets game from last week, the first shootout to go into sudden death).

As a hockey "purist" (for lack of a better term) it's not right to see a game ended on a skills competition (it's like ending a baseball game after 12 innings by having a homerun derby) and I would rather see the tie. But, as an objective fan, I see the positive impact that it's having on the game, it pushes the 1-on-1 skater v. goalie matchup that is interesting and it gets people interested. PLUS, it gives the winning team the extra point in the points column, which will make the shootout even more dramatic as we get into the playoff stretch.

In other non-rules related news, the Senators sent Brandon Bochenski down to make room for the returning Martin Havlat.

"They are blacking out the games in NY because Cablevison refuses to carry OLN on the basic package, they carry it in the sports package and if you pay extra to get OLN, you still cannot see the fucking games."

Pasted from another board. I'm not sure if this is the problem for you though.

Well, the Leafs bounced back from Saturday's disaster and giving up a goal less than 30 seconds in to beat the Panthers 2-1. Just caught some of the highlights and the winner looked pretty weak, so they probably lucked out that Luongo didn't start tonight.

As a hockey "purist" (for lack of a better term) it's not right to see a game ended on a skills competition (it's like ending a baseball game after 12 innings by having a homerun derby) and I would rather see the tie. But, as an objective fan, I see the positive impact that it's having on the game, it pushes the 1-on-1 skater v. goalie matchup that is interesting and it gets people interested.

I don't really see it as a skills competition. It's more of just stripping the extraneous crap out as you get further past regulation to get down to the essence of the game, which is a skater trying to put a puck past a goaltender. 5-on-5, 4-on-4, 1-on-1. There are more ways to win a ballgame than the home run (tell that to the Cubs), whereas hockey only has one way to score, so I don't see it as just a skills competition. Of course, I'd rather see a 10-minute overtime so that the shootout is more of a last resort (I sure see a lot of 'em on Sportscenter), and for it to count as a full win and full loss, but I takes what I can gets.