TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

NHL Thread

I'm an Edgehead...but ban that fucker.

What a game on the Left Coast, Vancouver outplays the Avs for 55 minutes, takes a 5-1 lead.

Colourado scores 3 in about 2 minutes between 3 minutes and 1 minute to play, but Vancouver hits an empt netter. 6-4 win.

Guest Rrrsh

Jesus those bastards in Colorado wont go away. Nice we won, but holy fuck that was a wake up call that you can NEVER let up in this new league.

Good call, NHL.

It is a good call, for the long term. One say Comcast is going to win the "digital war" and be the dominant media company in North America. At that point the NHL is going to be glad they hooked up with Comcast early on and built a relationship with them.

While the other three leagues lament their partnerships with PRIMITIVE ESPN! BETTMAN WILL BE LAUGHING I SAY

Good call, NHL.

It is a good call, for the long term. One say Comcast is going to win the "digital war" and be the dominant media company in North America. At that point the NHL is going to be glad they hooked up with Comcast early on and built a relationship with them.

While the other three leagues lament their partnerships with PRIMITIVE ESPN! BETTMAN WILL BE LAUGHING I SAY

Comcast has their sights set on Disney, and don't be surprised if that take over eventually happens. At which point ESPN will be their bitch toy.

Guest Rrrsh

I fought with lots of my friends and co-wrokers on how overrated Calgary was in the off-season. I happy that they are playing to what they are, average.

You can't just take 2/3rds of your 1st line and release them and expect that two other players with similar talent cant rekindle that kind of majic. Conroy-Gelinas and Iginla were WICKED in the Playoffs. But, they had chemistry, it wasnt becuase Gelinas is te esecond coming of Jari Kurri. It was just stupid for people to assume that Amonte and Langkow could just step in and dominate.

That and people forgot how shitty Simon was.

Good call, NHL.

If the other leagues were treated with as much disrespect from ESPN as the NHL was, they'd be keen on getting away, too. Preseason baseball gets more attention than the NHL end of regular season/beginning of postseason.

I'm glad the NHL made a decision that might be foolish in the shorterm but could be brilliant in the longterm. It was a safe gamble, IMHO.

It's interesting looking at GAA rankings to see which goalies are struggling most to adjust to the new rules.

Some notables off to a poor start:

Robert Esche, 3.04 (31st)

Marty Turco, 3.23 (35th)

Andrew Raycroft, 3.24 (36th)

Ed Belfour, 3.33 (41st)

Martin Brodeur, 3.51 (44th)

Evgeni Nabokov, 3.52 (45th)

David Aebischer, 3.64 (48th)

Nikolai Khabibulin, 3.83 (51st)

Olaf Kolzig, 4.08 (55th)

Glad Montreal escaped with the victory Saturday. Our first line is playign great and our rookies are playing absolutely great. It's good to finally see good rookies. In the last couple of years, with Hossa, Hainsey, Bordeleau and such, Montreal didn't make us used to good rookies.

Thoughts on Kings/Flames.....

1. Dion Phaneuf is a stud.

2. The Kings have to stop committing penalties.

3. I want to see a Calgary/LA playoff series.

That was more like it. We came out and played the same way we played against Dallas, and this time, some bounces went our way. Great game.

With games against Anaheim, San Jose and Phoenix coming up, there's no reason to think that the Flames can't win the next three if they have the same kind of energy as they've played with these last few games.

Glad Montreal escaped with the victory Saturday.  Our first line is playign great and our rookies are playing absolutely great.  It's good to finally see good rookies.  In the last couple of years, with Hossa, Hainsey, Bordeleau and such, Montreal didn't make us used to good rookies.

They never used Hossa and Hainsey anyways, and Montreal gave up on them. I'd have Hainsey up instead of Boullion.

Can the NHL please scrap the overtime loss column? God, what a pain in the ass to read. I was so excited about two-column standings, and I've still got the damn overtime loss column. What makes hockey so special, that losing after regulation is half as good as winning? If you lose a ballgame in 15 innings or triple-overtime...you lose.

As for the Blackhawks, I'm not convinced that Khabibulin is very good. At least it's a small consolation that Thibault is stinkin' up the joint too.

Can the NHL please scrap the overtime loss column? God, what a pain in the ass to read. I was so excited about two-column standings, and I've still got the damn overtime loss column. What makes hockey so special, that losing after regulation is half as good as winning? If you lose a ballgame in 15 innings or triple-overtime...you lose.

As for the Blackhawks, I'm not convinced that Khabibulin is very good. At least it's a small consolation that Thibault is stinkin' up the joint too.

At the very least, 3 columns, assimilate OT losses and shootout losses.

At the very least, 3 columns, assimilate OT losses and shootout losses.

That's exactly what they do, OT losses and SO losses are listed under "OL".

I definitely agree they shouldn't give a point for losing in overtime, but I still can't get myself to accept the concept of the shootout. You got a team game, closely played and still undecided after 3 periods and overtime, so the game will now be decided by a matchup of a lone skater vs. a goalie? When the way the game is decided changes like that, both teams ought to be awarded at least one point or else it's a complete rip-off for the team that loses the shootout. The NHL should expand overtime to at least 10 minutes, too.

I definitely agree they shouldn't give a point for losing in overtime, but I still can't get myself to accept the concept of the shootout.  You got a team game, closely played and still undecided after 3 periods and overtime, so the game will now be decided by a matchup of a lone skater vs. a goalie?  When the way the game is decided changes like that, both teams ought to be awarded at least one point or else it's a complete rip-off for the team that loses the shootout.  The NHL should expand overtime to at least 10 minutes, too.

Baseball is a team game that is decided by a hitter vs. a pitcher. Just because the second baseman can't do anything about the winning home run doesn't make it less of a win.

Not the case in my morning right-wing rag :P The Toronto Sun. They have 4 columns.

You mean Tabloid. Its a disgrace to all other papers that claim they are news worthy.

Out of all the teams out there, Carolina stopped Ottawa. Never even thought of them doing so.

That was one of the worst-officiated games I've seen this season. Ottawa got called for three penalties where Hurricanes took an obvious dive, and Carolina was chopping at Hasek all game with no calls.

Still, it doesn't excuse the fact the Sens blew a two-goal lead and couldn't score any goals in the last 57 minutes.

Habs beat Phili.

Let me repeat myself.

Habs beat Phili.

Theodore played very well against the Flyers, and Mike Ribiero was the hero scoring two goals.

Edmonton needs to find a second scorer. Ales Hemsky is underahcieving, and so is Peca and Pronger.

I must admit, after seeing Ottawa put up two points in the first period I figured Carolina was on there way to getting dominated. It was a pleasant surprise to find out they came back and won 3-2. They have really impressed me this season, they could make some noise for the next few season because most of their talented players are young. If Andrew Ladd is able to develop, we should have him next season as well.

What lacks in Carolina is a strong leadership. Stahl will be a leader, but they need that type of player to give them that extra push.