TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Braves/Astros NLDS Thread

Funny how everything was pointing towards a Game 5, but now, there may not even have to be a chance to decide if Smoltz goes in that game or not. Gotta figure it's Lidge for at least two and with the bottom of the Braves order due up and the Braves' lousy bullpen, it may be over.

I still never found out why Verne loves the Astros and why Precious Roy hates the Braves so much...that's what's making me angry.

Home run? What home run?

Guest Smues
Funny how everything was pointing towards a Game 5, but now, there may not even have to be a chance to decide if Smoltz goes in that game or not.  Gotta figure it's Lidge for at least two and with the bottom of the Braves order due up and the Braves' lousy bullpen, it may be over.

MAY be?

Funny how everything was pointing towards a Game 5, but now, there may not even have to be a chance to decide if Smoltz goes in that game or not.  Gotta figure it's Lidge for at least two and with the bottom of the Braves order due up and the Braves' lousy bullpen, it may be over.

Smoltz wasn't going to pitch Game 5 because of his shoulder.

And if Smoltz didn't go back into the rotation, we wouldn't have won the division title or be near the playoffs, so he deserves no criticism.

I blame Kolb and Reitsma for this.

Guest TheDon

I called it a lucky homerun because it just barely cleared the fence and when the fuck does Brad Ausmus ever hit a homerun. That would be like Tony Wommack hitting a homerun for the Yankees or John Flaherty hitting one.

I hate the Braves because I've seen them in the playoffs for 14 straight years and they NEVER get it done. They're the eternal JTTS. Ultimate respect for Bobby Cox and his coaches for what they do in the regular season, but I'm just so sick of the same old song and dance every year. And the defeatist attitude of Braves fans like you and BS just brings out the hate, there's nothing that pisses me off more than seeing supposed "fans" give up on their team as soon as the pressures on, predicting losses before the game is even played and such, and when you've got the lead always predicting the worst. And most Braves fans are that way, you don't deserve a winning team.

And I'm sure someone will counter and say, "but the Yankees are in the playoffs every year too," but at least they've proven they can get the job done.

Guest Smues
I hate the Braves because I've seen them in the playoffs for 14 straight years and they NEVER get it done.  They're the eternal JTTS.  Ultimate respect for Bobby Cox and his coaches for what they do in the regular season, but I'm just so sick of the same old song and dance every year.  And the defeatist attitude of Braves fans like you and BS just brings out the hate, there's nothing that pisses me off more than seeing supposed "fans" give up on their team as soon as the pressures on, predicting losses before the game is even played and such, and when you've got the lead always predicting the worst.  And most Braves fans are that way, you don't deserve a winning team.

And I'm sure someone will counter and say, "but the Yankees are in the playoffs every year too," but at least they've proven they can get the job done.

NEVER assumes 1995 never happened. I guess the new Webster's dictionary must define NEVER as rarely or only once.

Guest Smues

I'm not saying there's any guarentee he'd get it done, but why is Horacio not being used at all?

Guest TheDon
I hate the Braves because I've seen them in the playoffs for 14 straight years and they NEVER get it done.  They're the eternal JTTS.  Ultimate respect for Bobby Cox and his coaches for what they do in the regular season, but I'm just so sick of the same old song and dance every year.  And the defeatist attitude of Braves fans like you and BS just brings out the hate, there's nothing that pisses me off more than seeing supposed "fans" give up on their team as soon as the pressures on, predicting losses before the game is even played and such, and when you've got the lead always predicting the worst.  And most Braves fans are that way, you don't deserve a winning team.

I understand where you are coming from Roy. I am a huge Yankees fan but they haven't gotten it done now in 5 years. Braves are able to compete every year with a budget. Yankees are able to get past mistakes due to the fact that they are able to get players and afford them when they need it.

Uusally I'm very optimistic about the Braves, almost to a fault. I thought for sure we'd do very well in the playoffs the last three years.

This year, I knew how bad our bullpen was. I wanted them to win and had confidence that they could do it, it's just with our horrible pen, I thought the Astros would win.

It's not a defeatist attitude, if you're exactly right about your team's weaknesses to a fault, well yea.

Guest TheDon

NEVER assumes 1995 never happened. I guess the new Webster's dictionary must define NEVER as rarely or only once.

I think Roy's point is that it has been 11 seasons now since the braves last won. To constantly get in the playoffs every year and have a 1/4 chance of making it to the World Series.

I think the fact they win a very tight division every year is something to be proud of and I am proud of it.

I wish we could win every year, but I have that one WS to cherish, and every year they give me hope, which is more then what you can say for most teams.

And again, usually I don't have a defeatist attitude. After Game 2, I thought for sure we were going to win.

I have no sympathy for the Braves "being on a budget." Atlanta is anything but a small market, they were owned by billionaire Ted Turner, and are now owned by ~EVIL multinational corporation Time-Warner. Maybe if the fans weren't so apathetic and actually supported the team the suits would have incentive to spend more.

Way too many close ones in that inning. That ball missed being a homer by inches and while it was heading up there, my heart sank while thinking "no way, no way." I hate those stupid Crawford Boxes.

I have no sympathy for the Braves "being on a budget."  Atlanta is anything but a small market, they were owned by billionaire Ted Turner, and are now owned by ~EVIL multinational corporation Time-Warner.  Maybe if the fans weren't so apathetic and actually supported the team the suits would have incentive to spend more.

It has nothing to do with the fans really. The fans are spoiled by success, yes...but you have as an example the Chicago Cubs owned by the Tribune. The fans love the Cubs, sell out Wrigley every year, TV notoriety nationwide, but the Tribune would rather make a profit than spend money on players. If it means the Cubs lose 10-15 more games a year, so be it. Carl Pohlad...the Twins owner...is worth double the money Steinbrenner is. He doesn't want to spend the money, he just won't do it. The Braves fortunately can have that matter overlooked per they have John Schuerholz as GM...one of the best damn baseball minds of this generation as well as Cox in the dugout.

A salary cap would help in baseball...but they also need a salary floor which is the real solution that helps the NFL. There is a minimum the teams are required to spend on their players. That helps the Green Bays and the Indianapolises and smaller markets of the NFL compete.

I'm tired of the whining of the small market owners. Many of them could find some way to spend money if they truly wanted to...they just don't want to they'd rather fatten their coffers with profits. Too bad we couldn't strip them of their teams and give them to companies/people that will make them competitive.

I thought you were a Twins fan Verne. Explain your Astros fandom please.

I do like the Twins. They just sucked up until 2001.No fun in cheering for a team that was so bad. I became an Astros fan around 1994. Just decided to to stay on the bandwagon. Even know. I'd rather see the Astros win the World Series, than the Twins.

OMG FRONTRUNNER!~~

The Braves aren't a small market team, but they don't have a ginormous payroll and are finding it difficult to keep free agents.

Luckily they have a GM who spends his money wisely

I have no sympathy for the Braves "being on a budget."  Atlanta is anything but a small market, they were owned by billionaire Ted Turner, and are now owned by ~EVIL multinational corporation Time-Warner.  Maybe if the fans weren't so apathetic and actually supported the team the suits would have incentive to spend more.

It has nothing to do with the fans really. The fans are spoiled by success, yes...but you have as an example the Chicago Cubs owned by the Tribune. The fans love the Cubs, sell out Wrigley every year, TV notoriety nationwide, but the Tribune would rather make a profit than spend money on players. If it means the Cubs lose 10-15 more games a year, so be it. Carl Pohlad...the Twins owner...is worth double the money Steinbrenner is. He doesn't want to spend the money, he just won't do it. The Braves fortunately can have that matter overlooked per they have John Schuerholz as GM...one of the best damn baseball minds of this generation as well as Cox in the dugout.

A salary cap would help in baseball...but they also need a salary floor which is the real solution that helps the NFL. There is a minimum the teams are required to spend on their players. That helps the Green Bays and the Indianapolises and smaller markets of the NFL compete.

I'm tired of the whining of the small market owners. Many of them could find some way to spend money if they truly wanted to...they just don't want to they'd rather fatten their coffers with profits. Too bad we couldn't strip them of their teams and give them to companies/people that will make them competitive.

which is why all the attention and venom directed at Steinbrenner's spending really pisses me off. There's owners and ownership groups with far greater resources at hand who allow their teams to flounder, while Steinbrenner who spends money to make money and deeply cares about the fans being able to take pride in the Yankees gets villified for it. Yes, not every team has a fanbase like the New York metro area to draw from, but competitive teams draw fans. IIRC the Yankees attendance was below league average when they were losing in the late 80's/early 90's. Steinbrenner built the attendance up by winning and bringing in marquee talent.

and I agree, I'd like to see a floor/cap in baseball as well, even if it means the Yankees struggling to rebuild through the farm system, it would be worth it to shut up everyone who bitches about the money they spend