TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

2005-2006 MLB Offseason thread

You can say Javy was an allstar for half the season, so its  a push.

He had a meltdown in the second half. They didn't get him for one good half and one disgusting half, including not having any confidence in using him in the postseason.

The guys was as big a bust as there is

Oh man, this is getting catty.

And Burnitz was decent in his last season with the Mets. He was actually one of the stronger offensive players on the team before they got rid of him. Get it right.

And they did get Victor Diaz in return for him from the Dodgers. It wasn't that bad compared to Molicious and Alomar.

RUMOR from the Orioles camp: Bobby Abreu for Erik Bedard and Jay Gibbons.

Put Al on suicide watch.

Again, I stress RUMOR, but thought I'd share since it's heating up on the O's boards.

I'd rather do Abreu for Bedard straight up, to hell with taking back Gibbons. Of course, either way that would be a terrible deal. I like Bedard and he could be the foundation of an Abreu deal, but there needs to be some quality coming with him.

I'd rather do Abreu for Bedard straight up, to hell with taking back Gibbons.  Of course, either way that would be a terrible deal.  I like Bedard and he could be the foundation of an Abreu deal, but there needs to be some quality coming with him.

The Orioles have terrible pitching as it is. So they're getting rid of Bedard for MORE offense?

Apparently the Orioles are going to play Bedard between Philadelphia for Abreu and Cincinnatti for Adam Dunn. I prefer Dunn, he's younger, more powerful and cheaper.

Apparently deals for Paul Byrd and Nomar Garciappara should be wrapped up shortly, probably at the Winter Meetings.

Interest in Burnett, Farnsworth, and Matt Morrus. Also trying to swing a trade with Texas for Adrian Gonzalez, probably for Rodrigo Lopez. Also interested in signing Ramon Hernandez and move Javy Lopez to DH.

Take all this with a grain of salt but it's the latest rumors coming from various sources on the O's boards. Apparently Angelos is not happy being outshined by Boston and Toronto thus far and is planning to make some headlines at the Winter Meetings. Hope it's true but I've heard it all before...

Why wouldn't you want Gibbons? Hes 29, cheap, and while his OBP isn't very good, hes good for 25+ HRs every year, and 80+ RBIs every year. Add Bedard to a rotation that is decent at best, I don't think its a stupid trade.

But thats just me.

edit: The hell? Why is everyone in the AL East turning into the Yankees? I still find it odd they haven't done anything, George usually goes nuts when hes sees the Mets running the back pages.

I'd rather do Abreu for Bedard straight up, to hell with taking back Gibbons.  Of course, either way that would be a terrible deal.  I like Bedard and he could be the foundation of an Abreu deal, but there needs to be some quality coming with him.

The Orioles have terrible pitching as it is. So they're getting rid of Bedard for MORE offense?

This is sort of a myth. We had a better ERA than the Yankees for instance. Bedard and Cabrera both have "ace potential" and have shown flashes of brilliance, plus with Leo Mazzone now the pitching coach, management is trusting that he could help our younger pitchers develop. The thing with Bedard is he had a strange knee injury last year that kept him out longer than expected, he's rumored to be a bit of a head case and when he came back he struggled. At 27 they're tired of waiting for him to achieve his potential and are trying to "sell high". Paul Byrd is all but signed and like I said, it sounds like they're going to go all out for AJ Burnett. We've got some highly regarded young pitchers like Hayden Penn, Adam Loewen and John Maine just about ready to go as well.

The offense NEEDS to be upgraded. This notion that the Orioles have this awesome offense is a myth. We have Tejada, Mora and Roberts for half a year looked good. The thing is, once pitchers realised that Sosa and Palmeiro were DONE they pitched around Tejada and he struggled. The Front Office realises they NEED a bat for cleanup to protect Tejada. The wanted Delgado but weren't willing to part with prospects. They aren't interested in Giles or Konerko, especially for what they'll make, and want to look younger, hence the interest in Abreu and Dunn.

edit: The hell? Why is everyone in the AL East turning into the Yankees? I still find it odd they haven't done anything, George usually goes nuts when hes sees the Mets running the back pages.

Because that's the only way to compete with Red Sox and Yankees. Toronto finally gets it and (at least I hope) the Orioles aren't looking forward to 4th place for the 8th out of 9 seasons in a row.

Maybe they can't do anything this year? No one will take those big contracts unless the Yankees throw in guys like Cano or Wang. If the Yankees want to keep them instead, they don't have much leverage in trade talks.

The OBP is just too terrible (.317 this year, .315 career) considering that they would move Abreu (.405 this year, .411 career). You just can not give up a hundred points of OBP like that, especially since as of now Rowand is their CF meaning a huge OBP drop from the Lofton/Michaels platoon last year. People seem to forget that the Phils were among the top 6 (may have been top 3 but I am not sure) in production from CF.

That drop alone is survivable, but to remove two huge chunks from last year's offense can not work.

The Orioles would learn in a hurry what kind of player Abreu is when he stays at second instead of going for a triple so he can "pad his doubles stats" (the greatest quote in the history of quotes).

This is sort of a myth. We had a better ERA than the Yankees for instance. Bedard and Cabrera both have "ace potential" and have shown flashes of brilliance, plus with Leo Mazzone now the pitching coach, management is trusting that he could help our younger pitchers develop. The thing with Bedard is he had a strange knee injury last year that kept him out longer than expected, he's rumored to be a bit of a head case and when he came back he struggled. At 27 they're tired of waiting for him to achieve his potential and are trying to "sell high". Paul Byrd is all but signed and like I said, it sounds like they're going to go all out for AJ Burnett. We've got some highly regarded young pitchers like Hayden Penn, Adam Loewen and John Maine just about ready to go as well.

The offense NEEDS to be upgraded. This notion that the Orioles have this awesome offense is a myth. We have Tejada, Mora and Roberts for half a year looked good. The thing is, once pitchers realised that Sosa and Palmeiro were DONE they pitched around Tejada and he struggled. The Front Office realises they NEED a bat for cleanup to protect Tejada. The wanted Delgado but weren't willing to part with prospects. They aren't interested in Giles or Konerko, especially for what they'll make, and want to look younger, hence the interest in Abreu and Dunn.

Having a better ERA than the Yankees is nothing to be proud of. Paul Byrd is not a very good pitcher. Ok at best, and AJ Burnett has never proven a damn thing except the fact that he has a career losing record and is ALWAYS hurt.

The Yankees just came to me off the top of my head as an example since many casual fans (not accusing you guys of being) would assume since a team like New York has more "names" their pitchers are better. The point is, most Oriole fans know, we have depth in young pitching but we need to improve our offense. Consistently that has been our downfall. We don't produce runs and we don't get on base.

Paul Byrd is a good pickup since he would be a good veteran anchor for a young staff (and would have a better ERA last year than anyone on our staff) plus he's worked with Mazzone in the past and apparently they both mutually want to work together again.

Burnett is a risk, but his K rates and ERA are gliterring, and getting him with Mazzone might bring out his true potential. In an interview Mazzone was just raving about him saying he's the one pitcher he'd love to get under his tutelage and make him an ace. The question is how big a contract he'll get. Toronto has shown they'll spend crazy money, something Angelos and the Orioles have been reluctant to do in the past. But they might be willing for Burnett (who they wanted last year but held off not wanting to trade Hayden Penn or take back Mike Lowell), so who knows. They did it for Tejada a couple years ago, overpaying by a good 32 mil more than Seattle was offering and it paid off.

Why are the Phillies so gung ho to move Abreu all of a sudden? Bedard and Gibbons? That's a horrible deal.

Plus, if the Orioles are going for youth to put around Tejada like someone said, Abreu is not the guy to target. He'll be 32 soon.

Why are the Phillies so gung ho to move Abreu all of a sudden?  Bedard and Gibbons?  That's a horrible deal.

Plus, if the Orioles are going for youth to put around Tejada like someone said, Abreu is not the guy to target.  He'll be 32 soon.

I think 35 is sort of their cut off(which is Giles age and is why they have no interest). They're on Dunn (26) too.

The point is they're not going to pick up Sammy Sosa's or Rafael Palmeiro's anymore, guys enterting 40 who are on the decline of their career. I.E. any rumors of Mike Piazza which in past years would be a classic Orioles signing will not happen. Abreu is still basically in his prime.

Let me run out some peripherals...

Barry Zito: 228.3 IP, 26 HRs, 89 BBs, 171 Ks

Esteban Loaiza: 217 IP, 18 HRs, 55 BBs, 173 Ks

Loaiza doesn't walk many guys. Beane may be thinking, "let's get a guy who doesn't mess around with the hitters, let the other team put the ball in play, and our superior defense will take care of the rest."

As for the Abreu trade rumor, that's the worst idea I've ever heard.

Yanks are close to a deal with Mike Myers, and have offered a 3 year 15 million dollar contract to Kyle Farnsworth. That could be a disaster. Yankees are basically out of the Giles interest. They think hes just using them as a ploy.

I guess John Mabry has accepted a one-year contract from the Cubs.  If this means he'll be in a bench role, that's fine, but kill me now if he's expected to be our rightfielder.

I'm having flashbacks to last winter. "Pssh with our pitching and infield, we can afford to slum it with Hollandsworth in left!" oops. and I was one of those pssh-ers too.