TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iggymcfly

This week in college football: 10/27 - 10/29

Am I the only one who thinks Va Tech should get the Rose Bowl if they win out? I mean they would have wins over Miami, FSU, BC, WVU, etc. Or does playing Duke in conf. and then jobbers like Marshall and Ohio OOC hurt them?

Am I the only one who thinks Va Tech should get the Rose Bowl if they win out?  I mean they would have wins over Miami, FSU, BC, WVU, etc.  Or does playing Duke in conf. and then jobbers like Marshall and Ohio OOC hurt them?

The huge problem they have right now is they won't have a big marquee win on the road. Texas going into the Horseshoe and beating tOSU was huge, especially at the time because it was a meeting of two top-5 teams, and probably clinched them a Rose Bowl berth if they win out, just because it stuck out, and will continue to stick out, so much in the minds of the voters.

If Texas wins out, they have road wins over Ohio State, Missouri and Texas A&M to go along with convincing home wins over Texas Tech and Colorado. Not all world-beaters, but good teams. VA Tech's biggest road win would probably be West Virginia. Every win over a ranked team would come at home or at a neutral site (ACC championship).

Well, they haven't proven it yet, but I honestly think Virginia Tech might be the best team in the country. They looked great against Boston College tonight, and they definitely have the most balanced team of the Rose Bowl contenders. USC and Texas might be able to light up the scoreboard, and Alabama and Georgia might be able to play lockdown defense, but VT's the only team that really does both.

I can see why they haven't gotten much consideration so far, considering that GT's probably the best team they'd beaten. But after thumping BC, and taking on Miami, Virginia, and FSU, I see no reason why they shouldn't pass Texas and USC. To be fair, Texas has looked great too, but Ohio State is the only real Top 20 team on their schedule, and I think if VT makes it through the ACC unscathed, they might be slightly more deserving.

This is a really difficult year, as the top three unbeatens all look to be pretty legitimate, and there isn't really someone like last year's Sooner team, that you can just look at them and say: "this team's not national championship material."

Ghost: Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson (1). His disappearance has been haunting the Sooners.

This was in the Forde Yard Dash. I'm not sure I understand what he's trying to say. Is he saying Peterson's injury has hurt OU or is he saying Peterson just hasn't showed up to play this year? Peterson got injured in the first game of the year and he hasn't recovered.

He was hurt when he ran for 200 some odd yards against Tulsa but it was downhill from there until he injured his ankle for good against KSU.

So I'm not sure exactly what he's trying to say. If he's talking about the injury then oh hell yeah it hurt. If he's saying Peterson hasn't showed up to play this year then he's wrong.

I said during the TCU game that OU would kill Peterson this year and they did. Bastards.

Guest Ether
Am I the only one who thinks Va Tech should get the Rose Bowl if they win out?  I mean they would have wins over Miami, FSU, BC, WVU, etc.  Or does playing Duke in conf. and then jobbers like Marshall and Ohio OOC hurt them?

The huge problem they have right now is they won't have a big marquee win on the road. Texas going into the Horseshoe and beating tOSU was huge, especially at the time because it was a meeting of two top-5 teams, and probably clinched them a Rose Bowl berth if they win out, just because it stuck out, and will continue to stick out, so much in the minds of the voters.

If Texas wins out, they have road wins over Ohio State, Missouri and Texas A&M to go along with convincing home wins over Texas Tech and Colorado. Not all world-beaters, but good teams. VA Tech's biggest road win would probably be West Virginia. Every win over a ranked team would come at home or at a neutral site (ACC championship).

What's hurting them is that USC and Texas were ranked higher before the season started.

Iggy, what is with this constant pimping of Ga Tech in everything? Va Tech has beaten BC easy and schooled WVU in Morgantown. Those teams are both better than Georgia Tech, who is really just an ACC JTTS type team. As far as the big road win, I'd say beating WVU by 17 is a quality win. Ask U of L if it's easy to go in there and win.

People seem to have this bizarre opinion of Ohio St. as though they've actually done shit this year. Beating them isn't really any better this year than beating WVU or BC...well maybe a little better (like 4 spots in the BCS or so between OSU and BC).

As far as USC goes, I think Arizona St. is hurting them a bit. ASU is a much better team than their 3-4 record. What happened is that once they lost those tough games to LSU and USC they've gone into the tank.

I was saying that Georgia Tech was they're most impressive win before they beat Boston College. That's why it said they had instead of they have.

My point was that now that they're getting into the meat of their schedule and playing teams like Boston College, Miami, and Florida State, they're starting to deserve the national recognition and they should rise accordingly.

And you're right that West Virginia's better than Georgia Tech, of course. It's just that winning 34-17 in Morgantown doesn't leave the same resounding memory that a 51-7 beatdown of the Yellow Jackets does.

Just for the record, ABC's cute new habit of shutting the west coast out of the early games, and then making up for it with some crappy mid-major game that no one cares about is really starting to piss me off. This week, if you're anywhere near the west coast, you don't get Ohio State/Minnesota or Oklahoma/Nebraska. No, you get Fresno State/Hawaii. Are they really that sure that no one gets up before noon on the west coast that they have to shower us with this crap?

iggy they started doing this a couple of years ago and it is indeed very annoying. It's nothing more than a ploy to get more people to order GamePlan, which beyond getting all the ABC regional games is fairly useless with the large number of games that get televised every week.

I am just tickled that because of the weak slate of games this week, UCLA/Stanford is considered one of the bigger games and that some think Stanford could pull off the upset. Cardinal have no running game at all so they can't take advantage of UCLA's biggest weakness so I doubt they will win. I just have to think they didn't try at all to lose that UC Davis game because it seemed impossible this team would have an outside shot at a bowl game at that point. How do you lead Arizona State 45-7 at one point but lose to UC Davis? It makes no sense.

That loss is even worse for their bowl hopes, and I was unaware of this until about a week ago, but the NCAA changed the rules when it comes to wins against I-AA teams. It used to be you could only count one win over a I-AA team every four years for bowl eligibility. Now starting this year you can count every win over a I-AA team. This is incredibly stupid as it just encourages schools to schedule I-AA teams as warm ups for their conference schedule. It's even worse when they go to 12 game schedules full time next year when 6-6 teams can be eligible so you can have a losing record against I-A teams yet still go to a bowl game. In any event Stanford really screwed the pooch with that loss as they would be 5-1 right now and have five chances to be come bowl eligible but they have to win at least two of a murderous final five games (UCLA, at USC, at Oregon State, Cal, Notre Dame).

Guest Ether
I just have to think they didn't try at all to lose that UC Davis game because it seemed impossible this team would have an outside shot at a bowl game at that point. How do you lead Arizona State 45-7 at one point but lose to UC Davis? It makes no sense.

That loss is even worse for their bowl hopes, and I was unaware of this until about a week ago, but the NCAA changed the rules when it comes to wins against I-AA teams. It used to be you could only count one win over a I-AA team every four years for bowl eligibility. Now starting this year you can count every win over a I-AA team. This is incredibly stupid as it just encourages schools to schedule I-AA teams as warm ups for their conference schedule. It's even worse when they go to 12 game schedules full time next year when 6-6 teams can be eligible so you can have a losing record against I-A teams yet still go to a bowl game. In any event Stanford really screwed the pooch with that loss as they would be 5-1 right now and have five chances to be come bowl eligible but they have to win at least two of a murderous final five games (UCLA, at USC, at Oregon State, Cal, Notre Dame).

Well, they're coached by the same guy who was coaching Pitt in 2001 when Pitt couldn't beat South Florida in Pittsburgh - giving USF the first win of any significance in what was their 6th year of existance as a football program - but then destroyed #11 Virginia Tech and NC State later in the year.

I thought the new rule for wins over I-AA teams for bowl eligibilty didn't start until next year, that it was part of the agreement for the 12 game schedule. Either way, you're right in that it sucks.

FU Dama, your going down in the pick 'em and Oklahoma is gonna get rolled by Nebraska's explosive offense.

Actually I find it funny I picked Oklahoma to win, and you picked Nebraska.

And that is why Adrian Peterson's injury has hurt the Sooners and why he's a motherfucking game changer. His first carry of the game he takes it 40 yards for a TD and drags a Nebraska defender for the last 5 yards.

Don't know if anyone's watching, but UNC is up 16-7 on Miami right now with 2 TDs and a Safety.

Looks like the 'Canes may be officially out of the title hunt by the end of tonight.

EDIT-

The game is at the half now and the score is the same.

Miami was making a bunch of dumb mistakes in the last minute of the half, so things aren't looking good for them.

Wow.....OU has a 24-3 lead in the 3rd quarter at Nebraska. AD has 119 yds rushing and 2 TDs.

:angry: