TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iggymcfly

This week in college football: 10/27 - 10/29

Guest *KNK*

I just now found out Texas/OSU is on TBS.

I was going "man, I wanna see this game"...so after hearing Young ran for 80 yards, THEN i stumble upon the game on TBS.

Guest Vitamin X
Stanford cougs it and lets UCLA tie it up.. fucking assholes.

To be fair, it's not so much Stanford cougin' it, but UCLA, bruining it, since they are apparently incapable of playing football for 3 quarters.

I was saying that it would be three unbeatens if UCLA and Texas both lost tonight. However, UCLA came back from down 21 with 8:30 to go to beat Stanford 30-27 in OT, and Texas has regained the lead over OSU.

It looks like after all the upset possibilities, the only unbeaten going down today will be Georgia in a game that wasn't even really an upset against the favored Gators.

By the way, I want to extend an honorary "Coug it" award to Stanford this week. I don't even know if WSU could have blown a 21 point lead that late. Congratulations Cardinal, at least for this week, you're the biggest screwups in all the land.

How come when USC comes down on the road from behind it shows "championship character" but when Texas does it it means "they just weren't that good in the first place!" ????

How come when USC comes down on the road from behind it shows "championship character" but when Texas does it it means "they just weren't that good in the first place!" ????

Who said Texas wasn't that good in the first place?

Benefit of the doubt. The two-time defending champions are going to get a lot more leeway than a team with a history of choking in big moments, like it or not.

EDIT: That's assuming someone actually said it in the first place, which I'm now starting to doubt.

Not to mention that Oklahoma State's terrible.

USC never trailed a team that was anywhere near that bad after the first quarter. Of course, after Texas actually made the big comeback, I don't think they'll get punished much.

South Carolina leading Tennessee 16-15 with 2 minutes left..

Edit: South Carolina just stopped UT on 4th down, looks like the Ol' Ball Coach will beat Phil Fulmer again.

That was quite the spectacular choke job by Stanford. I could hardly be dissapointed as I didn't think they'd win but damn would it have killed them to blow the game at 17-3 instead of 24-3? Oh well a team who loses UC Davis probably shouldn't be sniffing a bowl game.

And it appears Tennessee's season is officially a disaster.

I have NEVER been this embarrassed.

#2 right Athlon magazine? Right Lindy's Magaizine?

#3 right AP? Coaches?

National Title? Really?

#1 Recruiting class?

How about potentially five losses.

Dropped passes. Fumbles at the goal line two weeks in a row. Losing to South Carolina for first time in 12 years. Losing to Bama for second time in eleven years. No offense. GODawful kicking. Injuries. Chokejobs.

A sham. A travesty. A disappointment An embarrassment. A joke.

And to Spurrier?

Good night everyone. .............Forever

*Raises gun to head*

Stanford loses to UC Davis, gets beat up by Oregon, yet somehow manages to smoke Arizona State and have UCLA beaten only to collapse. This team is all over the board. That UC Davis loss will haunt them and probably keep them from being bowl eligible. Their remaining opponents are at USC, at Oregon State, Cal, and Notre Dame. They're going to have to beat OSU for sure and then hope Cal plays down to their level to even become bowl eligible. Its remotely possible they can beat OSU and Cal which would put them at 6-5.

As for UCLA they should be able to beat Zona and ASU setting up an undefeated showdown with USC.

I'd love to see that happen. Is it really a sure thing though that UCLA will beat both Zona and ASU? They seem to struggle with everyone.

That Tennessee game by the way was a loss on the night they retired Peyton Manning's jersey. There's something amusing about that, I guess they figured they'd lose to Steve Spurrier once again in Manning's honor.

Quite a dramatic scene in the late late game tonight. I listened to it on the radio, because it turned out to be the deciding factor on whether I'd make or lose money on my sports bets this week.

Anyway, I bet the moneyline on (1-6) Idaho against (0-7) New Mexico State and finally turned the radio on with 1:00 left. (Remember, I'm in Pullman WA, 8 miles from Moscow ID, so it was on here.)

The game was so bad that I have to retell it here.

Idaho gets the ball first in the OT, and fumbles it on the very first play. Luckily, it goes out of bounds and Idaho survives. Then, the next play they throw an interception that gets run back for a touchdown! Well, that's what the radio announcers said anyway. Apparently, the cornerback stepped out of bounds at the 30, meaning Idaho's alive if they keep NMSU from getting a FG or a TD.

Anyway, next possession, it's incomplete, sack, incomplete, giving NMSU 4th and 20 from their own 35. Since they can't kick a field goal from there, they just go for it, and throw a deep ball, It's caught at the five yard line, and then run in for a touchdown! However, this turns out to be yet another mistake by the announcers as the receiver apparently fumbled it out of the end zone, resulting in a touchback, and sending the game to another OT.

NMSU actually does score a TD this time, and it's Idaho's turn to answer. On third down, they throw a TD pass, and decide to go for two. The quarterback rolls out, throws it incomplete, and once again game over, Idaho loses, right? Right? No, this time it turns out there was offsides, and the Vandals get yet another chance. This time, the QB actually completes the 2-point conversion, and Idaho wins one of the worst games ever played.

I mean, honestly, they lost the game three times(!), only for somebody to step out of bounds, fumble, or commit a penalty. It was kinda fun to listen to, but it was sure an abomination for football.

Wow I didn't see Young's stats until just now. The dude may have secured himself the Heisman or at least runner up.

After looking at the stats between Texas and Oklahoma State over the last two years I think Texas may play a game within a game everytime they go against OSU.

It's like "hey guys let's see how many points we can spot OSU and then come back and see how badly we can whip their asses in the second half!"

I'd love to see that happen.  Is it really a sure thing though that UCLA will beat both Zona and ASU?  They seem to struggle with everyone.

I dont think it's a sure thing that UCLA will beat Arizona or Arizona State...

However, this team is clearly a 4th quarter team, as has been made evident in recent weeks.

This turn it up in the 4th quarter thing can only go for so long before the luck runs out.

That said, it's great to see UCLA among the unbeatens. :)

Coache's Poll

1. USC (56)  8-0

2. Texas (5)  8-0

3. Virginia Tech (1)  8-0 

4. Alabama 8-0

5. Miami 6-1 

6. LSU 6-1

7. UCLA 8-0

8. Florida State 7-1

9. Notre Dame 5-2

10. Georgia 7-1

11. Penn State 8-1

12. Ohio State 6-2

13. Oregon 7-1

14. Wisconsin 8-1 

15. Florida 6-2

16. West Virginia 6-1

17. Texas Tech 7-1

18. Auburn 6-2

19. Boston College 6-2

20. TCU 8-1

21. California 6-2

22. Fresno State 6-1

23. Michigan 6-3

24. Colorado 6-2

25. Louisville 5-2

Credit to CollegeFootballNews

Hey OU got a bunch of votes. One more win(which they should easily get at home against A&M since A&M is not good and is very bad on the road) and they're bowl eligible and probably in the Top 25 again.

AP Poll:

1 Southern Cal (57) 8-0

2 Texas (8) 8-0

3 Virginia Tech 8-0

4 Alabama 8-0

5 Miami 6-1

6 LSU 6-1

7 UCLA 8-0

8 Notre Dame 5-2

9 Florida St. 7-1

10 Penn St. 8-1

11 Georgia 7-1

12 Ohio St. 6-2

13 Florida 6-2

14 Wisconsin 8-1

15 Oregon 7-1

16 Texas Tech 7-1

17 Auburn 6-2

18 West Virginia 6-1

19 Boston College 6-2

20 TCU 8-1

21 Fresno St. 6-1

22 Michigan 6-3

23 California 6-2

24 Louisville 5-2

25 Colorado 6-2

Can someone tell me where the love for Fresno State comes from?

I mean look at this schedule

def. (I-AA) Weber State

lost to (7-1) Oregon

def. (6-2) Toledo

def. (0-8) New Mexico State

def. (2-5) Utah State

def. (2-6) Idaho

def. (3-5) Hawaii

So, their I-A wins have come against teams with a combined record of 13-26. Honestly, there are I-AA teams that could go 5-2 with that schedule. The fact that they're ranked ahead of teams like Michigan and Northwestern is downright ridiculous.

This is Fresno's weakest schedule in recent years. A couple seasons ago they had to go to Tennessee and Oklahoma. Coach Pat Hill has said they will play anyone, anywhere and they do. No one ever comes to FSU so scheduling quality non-conference opponents is tough. They still have to travel to USC this season. They are a good team and should be ranked high. Their non conference schedule is WAY harder than Texas and Alabama for example.

ESPN.com has a ridiculous poll asking if Charlie Weis is the best coach in ALL of college football. 23% of those polled said yes. Apparently 23% of ESPN readers are idiots.