TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EdwardKnoxII

'MIAMI VICE' AWASH IN WOES

http://www.nypost.com/gossip/pagesix.htm

'MIAMI VICE' AWASH IN WOES

THE long-awaited movie version of "Miami Vice" is threatening to turn into a big disaster for Universal, with the picture far behind schedule and way over budget, insiders say.

Sources tell PAGE SIX the screen version of the popular '80s TV series that starred Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas is mired in production difficulties including:

* The movie was supposed to shoot for three months, but is now six months over schedule — with no end in sight.

* According to a well-informed source, "Miami Vice" was "greenlit at $120 million, but the budget has been blown and it is now costing upwards of $180 million. And they aren't even done yet. It will likely be a $200 million tab by the end of shooting."

* Adding to the budget problems, filming has to be moved from Miami to Peru because of Hurricane Wilma damage.

* The script is "not good," according to several people who have read it. "This will bomb," said one.

* Stars Jamie Foxx and Colin Farrell have become slightly bloated, with Farrell sporting "beer boobs" due to their constant partying in Miami. Farrell, in particular, has been carousing at almost every hotel bar and club in town, at times drinking VOX vodka straight from the bottle.

* Farrell is "having a hard time with director Michael Mann," said another insider. "Michael [who also directed the TV series] is a perfectionist and will do a shot over and over and over. Jamie worked with him on 'Collateral' and was used to how he works, but Colin has been very frustrated."

In addition, there have been reports of fights between Farrell and Foxx — Foxx, who won his Oscar after signing up for "Vice," was said to be upset that Farrell was being paid more than he was, so he demanded his paycheck be boosted from $7.5 million to $10 million to match his co-star.

Some insiders at Universal — which has had a rough year with releases like "Cinderella Man" bombing at the box office — blame the studio's former co-presidents of production, Mary Parent and Scott Stuber, for greenlighting the "Miami Vice" movie in the first place.

A rep for the studio said he'd get back to us on our story but didn't.

Really. This movie was a bad idea in the first place. Universal should just take what they have, edit it as best they can, and rush it off to theatres. No way they're breaking even at this point, but they can at least make a little money off of it.

So this is what got me.

In addition, there have been reports of fights between Farrell and Foxx — Foxx, who won his Oscar after signing up for "Vice," was said to be upset that Farrell was being paid more than he was, so he demanded his paycheck be boosted from $7.5 million to $10 million to match his co-star.

Ok I'm guessing that Fox never watched the series because Miami Vice was for the most part about Sonny Crockett. So, of course, Crockett is going to have the most screen time and thus the actor who pays him will get this most money.

Cause I remember there was reports that Fox wanted more screen time too.

Guest Vitamin X

This is kind of sad, my school's film program got to work with the people shooting in the area, and now this won't look good at all for their resume.

Thankfully, I didn't sign up for that

I'm assuming Jamie Foxx signed on to do this movie before his oscar win? He must be punching himself in the face right now.. Jarhead looks decent, but that movie Stealth and Miami Vice are not good ways to follow up a Oscar win.

Jarhead is a great way for him to follow up an Oscar.

Mann's a great director, so bad buzz or not, I have a feeling he can put together a fun action movie.

Plus Farrell should help the movie play well overseas.

So this is what got me.

Ok I'm guessing that Fox never watched the series because Miami Vice was for the most part about Sonny Crockett. So, of course, Crockett is going to have the most screen time and thus the actor who pays him will get this most money.

Well yeah, but come on. Will Ferrell.

So this is what got me.

COLLIN Ferrell, not Will. Dear good, could you imagine the abortion of a movie it would absolutely be with WILL FERRELL? *shudders*

So this is what got me.

COLLIN Ferrell, not Will. Dear good, could you imagine the abortion of a movie it would absolutely be with WILL FERRELL? *shudders*

Like Colin "effort? what the fuck is effort" Farrell is a huge step up. 120 million, good god. That's not a budget, that's asking for failure.

I don't get why the two would be fighting unless Farrell was throwing it in Fox' face about the money. Plus, on some of these tabloit/entertainment shows they been showing Fox and Farrell out partying together in Miami.

I don't get why the two would be fighting unless Farrell was throwing it in Fox' face about the money. Plus, on some of these tabloit/entertainment shows they been showing Fox and Farrell out partying together in Miami.

Everything was fine until Colin said he looked better in drag than Foxx ever did as Wanda. Foxx wasn't having any of that and there has been a slow building riff between the two ever since.

Total look at Will Ferrell:

- Austin Powers 1: Funny character, small part.

- Night at the Roxbury: Annoying movie, played character well.

- Austin Powers 2: Same as 1.

- Jay and Silent Bob: Funny character in a so-so movie.

- Zoolander: Sometimes comical villain in a "hate it or love it" film.

- Old School: FIRST CO-LEAD. Amazing character. Great film.

- Elf: FIRST LEAD. Haven't seen it all, myself. Families/kids love the thing.

- Anchorman SECOND LEAD. Hated this movie in theatres. Love it on DVD.

- Kicking and Screaming. Here is the problem. Not a "college frat movie", not a "child-less adult cuss and laugh" film, either. Trailer looked horrible. No one above the age of 14 was advertised to go and see this. Looked like PG crap. Ferrell fans waited. A poor choice, IMO.

- Bewitched. Casted two amazing leads into a HORRID script and AWFUL, AWFUL lame roles.

Personally, I'm not interested in any Ferrell films until Old School 2 hits next year.

But don't come down on the guy who is a huge success. His characters are always usually very "stand out", memorable, and funny. Everyone's got a few "kids flick stinkers".

Wow, that sucks. Jaimie Foxx, Collin Farrel, Michael Mann and Miami Vice are all awesome. I have to echo, though, what the fuck could cost that much money in a Miam Vice movie?

Most Miami Vice epis were Crockett and Tubbs befriend some down on their luck person, there's a big drug bust, aforementioned person and bad guy dies, sad music plays and we've all learned a lesson.

Fuck this, is Miami Vice on DVD yet? Because I'm Fixin' to buy that shit.

Wow, that sucks. Jaimie Foxx, Collin Farrel, Michael Mann and Miami Vice are all awesome. I have to echo, though, what the fuck could cost that much money in a Miam Vice movie?

Most Miami Vice epis were Crockett and Tubbs befriend some down on their luck person, there's a big drug bust, aforementioned person and bad guy dies, sad music plays and we've all learned a lesson.

Fuck this, is Miami Vice on DVD yet? Because I'm Fixin' to buy that shit.

Well there was the very expensive clothes they weared, the cars, the places they did the shooting at, and, of course, the music. But, I see your point.

And yes the 1st season of MV is on DVD.

Phone Booth

The Recruit

SWAT

Alexander

Right

Nothing wrong with Phone Booth. Everything else, yeah, meh to garbage.

Would have been better if Sutherland killed his ass.

I liked SWAT, it was nice pointless action although using the funny guy from Sports Night as the secondary villian seemed like a big damn mistake.

Why bitch about 2 1/2 million bucks salary difference when you're obscenely rich? When do you have enough money? Don't answer that, it's hypothetical.

But damn, celebrities make me sick.