TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tony manero

No Mercy buyrate is in

Guest tony manero

" The Smackdown pay-per-view "WWE No Mercy" headlined by Batista and Eddie Guerrero garnered about 195,000 buys on early estimates. WWE had internally feared that it would do under 200,000 buys."

credit: Pwinsider and WO newsletter

Well, if WWE had actually made some effort to promote this PPV decently, this wouldn't have happened as the card itself was good IMO.

Guest Y2DAYDAY

195,000 as a first estimate is higher than the 170,000 Taboo did last year and 190,000 No Mercy did last year as first estimates. Theyare lucky they did 195,000 with the terrible promotion of the show. Basically this means that no matter what they promote, for a single brand show, they are guaranteed 195,000 because that was the worst promoted show ever and still did better than some other shows.

" The Smackdown pay-per-view "WWE No Mercy" headlined by Batista and Eddie Guerrero garnered about 195,000 buys on early estimates. WWE had internally feared that it would do under 200,000 buys."

credit: Pwinsider and WO newsletter

What we see.

Eddie Guerrero garnered about 195,000 buys

What WWE most likely sees.

Guest Hass of Pain

Eddie Guerrero didn't garner 195,000 buys. WWE could have aired three hours of static and 180,000-200,000 people would have bought it. I don't know who these people are who will literally order any WWE pay-per-view no matter what, but WWE should be thanking their lucky stars that they have them as fans.

Guest SavageRulz

The company is in freefalll. Buyrates are tanking, ratings are tanking, and even the huge UK tours (one of the last major sources of income they have) look to be cooling off due to overexposure.

WWE isn't doing great right now, but let's not kid ourselves. This isn't 2001 WCW.

I would say it is WCW '01 with what we see on television every week, they are much more stable financially than WCW was. And WCW was putting on better matches with the cruiserweights than WWE ever has.

Freefall is losing $80 million in one year like WCW did in 2000.

WWE is still nowhere near that, financially. They are just as much adept in the financial apartment as their creative team is not adept at putting on good TV.

Guest SavageRulz
freefall is kind of a strong word to use, wouldn't you say?

I don't think it's strong at all.

Their two hot prospects for the future have drawn two of the lowest buyrates in company history in consecutive months, with Taboo Tuesday sure to make it three. Smackdown ratings are at an all time low. Raw has lost 1.5 million viewers in the last month thanks to some of the worst shows in years. Payoffs are so low that a guy like Christian can safely walk out on the company safe in the knowledge he can make a similar living elsewhere with a vastly reduced schedule. If the international tours dry up any time soon (which Japan already has, with the UK showing less and less interest with each overblown tour) they will actively be losing money by the bucketload to go along with the millions of ad revenue they lost thanks to Vince horribly botching the Raw negotiations.

Just look at how they tried to handle Taboo Tuesday after Unforgiven and No Mercy turned out to be disasters at the box office. They didn't stop and think why more and more people were switching off every single month. They just called up Austin and Foley (and then Goldust and Vader) as attempted quick fixes because they were the guys who were around when the company was actually successful.

They're in a slump that they'll never recover from until they drastically change the way they operate.

WWE isn't doing great right now, but let's not kid ourselves. This isn't 2001 WCW.

Maybe not WCW 2001 but I'd certainly say WCW 2000.

I mean, Taboo Tuesday seemed to be the WWE version of Souled Out that year. Add that in with crappy product and general backstage chaos and antics and it's things seem to be going WCW shaped.

The E has already done things to provide the illusion that they're still as profitable as they were in the past. The big talent cuts of the past year were all done in order to prepare for the loss of ad-revenue after the move to USA, as well as to compensate for the fact that business just isn't very good. WWE is falling, but they'll continue to use cost-cutting measures to make it appear like they're still very profitable. Meaning, they'd have a long way to go before they're at WCW-like depths.

savage...you obvioulsy haven't been around long enough to see the number of times the WWE has gone to the brink of oblivion and back...they'll do what they need to do to survive...they always have and they always will...times are tough, numbers are down, but they're not going to be closing the doors anytime soon, come on now...

Thanks to all the corners they've been cutting, WWE is able to remain profitable, but eventually they'll run out of corners to cut and be forced to confront the fact that the company has been slowly bleeding to death. Until then, WWE will be fine.

Personally, I believe that WWE will have run out of money saving methods in about 5 to 10 years and that's when the freefall and mass panic and whatnot will begin.

Guest SavageRulz
savage...you obvioulsy haven't been around long enough to see the number of times the WWE has gone to the brink of oblivion and back...they'll do what they need to do to survive...they always have and they always will...times are tough, numbers are down, but they're not going to be closing the doors anytime soon, come on now...

Oh I don't think for a second they'll be closing their doors anytime soon. Vince has enough money stashed away seperate from the company to run it with losses until the day he dies if he so wishes, but if he wants to run the company as a business and make money (which is all the shareholders care about) he needs to completely change the way things are run on the business side and the way things are booked on TV.

What I meant by freefall is if the company continues in the direction it's been heading for the last two years then he will have no choice but to seriously scale down operations just like he did in 1995 when the company almost went out of business. House shows are already being cancelled all over the place and they've already cut the number of Smackdown shows due to poor attendance. The company will still be around, but there's no way they'll be able to continue the same way they have for the last 7 years. There are only so many guys on the roster to fire every year to try and swing the books in your favour, and when they're all gone Vince will have some serious answering to do.

Guest Leelee

I think WWE itself will last for a very long time... but, I think they're going to run dry on primetime TV opportunities, probably in the next 5-10, which will virtually be the end to me.