TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dangerous A

Excerpt from the upcoming HBK book

Got this from the F4Daily forums...

Chapter 23 "Montreal" (the beginning of the chapter, from HBK's book...which has him praying on back cover...)

I was sky-high the night after Bad Blood. I had perhaps the best macth of my career, and Hunter, Chyna, and I were going the christen ourselves D-Generation X (which was Vince Russo's idea) on this evening's Raw. EVen the thought of having to work with Bret in the coming weeks at Survivor Series couldn't bring me down. I wasn't going to let him get to me.

From my perspective, I had won the battle with Bret. I was main-eventing Pay-Per-Views whilehe, as champion, was working Tag Team matches. My confidence was back. There wasn't anything that he was going to do or say that I worried about. People had turned on me because they had heard a lot of untrue stores, many of which were made up by Bret. I never once gave my side, because it seemed so transparent to me, and I was the guy who is talking the loudest and defending himself the most must be hiding something.

Working with Hunter and Chyna was so much fun and I didn't want to ruin that. I also have to give Vince Russo a lot of credit. He came up with some great ideas for us. He helped create a real awesome gimmick where we were doing and saying all the things you want to in real life, but can'tbeause it isn't nice and you'd get in alot of trouble. And we were very popular. As Hunter has said, in the fall of 97, DX was the hottest thing in sports entertainment not named Steve Ausin.

We were in Kansas City-another sellout, by the way-and Hunter and I were doing an in-ring promo. I asked to see footage of my victory from Badd Blood. Instead, video from the "curtain call" came on. This was done to reinforce the insubordinate image of DX. Bret came otu and confronted me, calling me a homeo and a degenerate. (I believe he meant it.) I responded by saying that the only reason Bret was in the main event of Survivor Series was because he was wrestling me. Bret and I were at it again, only this time, our personal animosity towards each other blended perfectly within the storyline we were conducting.

Later that night Hunter beat Bret via countout after I superkicked him while CHyna distracted him. During the match, I started picking my nose with Bret's Candian flag. I really didn't mean to offend anyone. I just figured it would get me extra heat, which it did.

At this point, I really didn't know what the situation with Bret was. My feeling was that Vince wanted to get the title off him. His contract was taxing the company way too much if he wasn't going to be the man. I didnt' know where Steve Austin was in his talks with Vince, I'm sure they already had an idea of where they were going long-range. The ideal situation for Steve was to win the title from a white-hot heel. Breat certainly wasn't one. I, on the other hand, was there. It made sense to me that Vince would want to put the tile on me and have Steve beat me.

All I knew for certain is what I talked about with Vince. I was back into performing and uninterested in the inner workings of what was happening with other guys. I talked to Vince often, but all our discussions concerned created ideas. I was not talking about other guys' business.

A week before Survivor Series I found out Bret was going to WCW. I know Vince suggested Bret go and talk to WCW again. Vince said he would help Bret get a great deal there. Vicne was going to give WCW the impression that he was willing to pay Bret even more money, so WCW would up their offer to him. WCW did, and Bret signed with them.

For the last several months, Hunter and I had been speaking to Vince on the phone every Wednesdy to go over any creative ideas or concerns we might have. Vince valused our opinions and set aside some time to talk to us. The Wednesday before Survivor Series, we were on our weekly conference call. "Shawn, barrring some miraculous change this weekend, we are going to work a DQ. The next night Bret has promised me that he will come out and give up the title. He will go off to WCW< and we can work some sort of tournament or something like that. I'm not comfortable with that, but Bret has given me his work. I feel I can take him at his word. Regardless of the relationship that you and he have, I've always asked him to do business, but he's just not willing to do it for you. I can't change the match with someone else."

I asked Vince why he didn't just have Bret drop the title to someone else the following night on Raw. I recall Vince then saying Bret had creative control over his last thirty ays.

"So it's not really just me, is it? He doesn't want to drop the belt before he leaves?"

"No, he doesn't. It would be one thing if it were in the States, but espically in Canada. He doesn't want to do it."

"All of Canada is his? We're not in Calgary. What if I didn't want to do any jobs in the United States?"

"I know, I know, but that's the situation. He has creative control."

There were a few seconds of silence.

"I know I'm not supposed to be talking here," it was Hunter. "maybe I'm out of line here, but what kind of business is that? Who in the world says, 'I don't want to rop the belt'? You helped him to get a better deal there and he is leaving. That isn't right. That's b.s. HOw in the world can you trust him? This is the same guy who while he was off, after dropping the title to Shawn, went behind yoru back and negotiated a deal with WCW only to come back and renogotiate a twenty-year way-out-of-bounds contract with you. He has not done good business since, and now he is leaving to get even more money, by you giving them the impression that you wanetd to keep nhim. We have people leaving in the middle of the night and taking thier belts and dropping them in trash cans on WCW. [This was in reference to former women's champion Alundra Blayze, who had done that.] We can't afford for that to happen with the World Wrestling Federation Championship!"

"There's nothing we can do about that. My hands are tied. What can we do about that?"

It was my turn to chime in. "I'll do whatever you want. We'll just take it off him. I'll just swerve him or whatever I have to. You tell me what needs to get done. You and this company have put up with so much from me. My loyalty is here with you. I will do whatever you want."

"What are we talking about, Shawn?"

"Whatever it takes. If we have to do a fast count or get him in a hold and tell someone to ring the bell, I'll do whatever you want me to do."

"That's pretty serious. That has to be a last resort. I still have until Satruday to talk with Bret. That may have to be a real option. This cannot be discussed with anyone. Pat can't know, nobody can know about this but the three of us right now. It's something we will have to talk about."

Hunter and I talked when Vince hung up. We both felt that Vince was already thinking about a possible swever, but he couldn't ask me to do that. I needed to volunteer.

I wonder if this will be on par with Hogan's book in terms of outright lies and omissions of facts and such?

Guest JMA
I wonder if this will be on par with Hogan's book in terms of outright lies and omissions of facts and such?

I wouldn't be surprised. The book will let us know whether Shawn has truly changed or not, though.

As for the excerpt: Meltzer's report on Montreal was really the last word on the situation. I'm not really interested in reading about Shawn or anyone else's take on it. It's already been discussed and analyzed enough.

Guest tony manero

So the whole screwjob was Shawn's idea? DAYUM.

I knew Gerald Brisco was the architect of the screwjob, but I didn't know it was originally Shawn's idea.

"I know I'm not supposed to be talking here," it was Hunter. "maybe I'm out of line here, but what kind of business is that? Who in the world says, 'I don't want to rop the belt'? You helped him to get a better deal there and he is leaving. That isn't right. That's b.s. HOw in the world can you trust him? This is the same guy who while he was off, after dropping the title to Shawn, went behind yoru back and negotiated a deal with WCW only to come back and renogotiate a twenty-year way-out-of-bounds contract with you. He has not done good business since, and now he is leaving to get even more money, by you giving them the impression that you wanetd to keep nhim. We have people leaving in the middle of the night and taking thier belts and dropping them in trash cans on WCW. [This was in reference to former women's champion Alundra Blayze, who had done that.] We can't afford for that to happen with the World Wrestling Federation Championship!"

Yeah, I'm sure HHH cuts promos like that in phone conversations.

Actually, I totally believe that HHH is that long-winded in real life.

"Triple H, do you want mustard on your sandwhich?"

"Mustard and sandwhiches. Everyone want to know if the best wrestler there ever was, and ever will be will have mustard on his sandwhich. And it's a good question, because I'm the best there ever was and ever will be. You see, some people put mustard on sandwhiches..."

Guest tony manero

Do you guys know how this contradicts what Meltzer wrote?

I'm pretty sure Shawn is full of it, but if someone can point out the blatant inaccuracies in Shawn's recollection of the situation, that would be nice.

Do you guys know how this contradicts what Meltzer wrote?

I'm pretty sure Shawn is full of it, but if someone can point out the blatant inaccuracies in Shawn's recollection of the situation, that would be nice.

Strictly speaking, this is not a contradiction, but in the above HBK says Vince told him that Bret didn't want to job to anyone. According to Metzler, Bret offered to job to anyone other than HBK.

Of course, HBK is saying here that *Vince* told him that. So, he could be covering his ass here and saying it was Vince's lie, not his.

"All of Canada is his? We're not in Calgary. What if I didn't want to do any jobs in the United States?"

Well Shawn, it would mean that you decided to be a lot more generous with the number of jobs you do.

I think this Sunday's Wrestling Observer Live show is one that you don't want to miss...

Bret Hart will be our guest on what will possibly be the most talked about episode of the show this year of Wrestling Observer Live on Sunday night from 8-10 p.m. Eastern time and 5-7 p.m. Pacific on the Sports Byline broadcasting network. We will talk not only about the DVD that comes out, but also read him excerpts from Shawn Michaels book pertaining to Survivor Series 1997. I know, that's exactly what Vince McMahon wants. You can listen live on radio stations throughout North America and go to www.sportsbyline.com for a station listing or listen live on their web site, as well as to replay shows at 6 a.m. and 3 p.m. Eastern on Monday. You can also listen to both the live and replay broadcasts both on this site and on Sirius Satellite radio Ch. 122. You can also call 1-800-878-play to join in.

Guest JMA

Does anyone know when Bret's book is coming out? Now that he's worked with WWE to make the DVD I wouldn't be surprised if his book is also going to be promoted by them.

Guest Brian

I don't think it so much contends with the Meltzer and Hart (Wrestling with Shadows) so much as it shows what an asshole he was.

Guest Brian

Well Shawn, it would mean that you decided to be a lot more generous with the number of jobs you do.

I'm thinking he wrote that in purposely, just like he wrote in the part about KC (forgot about the 1500 comps). And all the talk of jobbing, about how he was the one to put the belt on for Austin (forgetting the fact that he refused to job). If I was paranoid enough, I'd say he was using the book to poke fun at smarks. And it wouldn't be that much of a reach.

"I'll do whatever you want. We'll just take it off him. I'll just swerve him or whatever I have to. You tell me what needs to get done. You and this company have put up with so much from me. My loyalty is here with you. I will do whatever you want."

Boy, what an unselfish trooper. ;)

Guest JMA
"I'll do whatever you want. We'll just take it off him. I'll just swerve him or whatever I have to. You tell me what needs to get done. You and this company have put up with so much from me. My loyalty is here with you. I will do whatever you want."

Boy, what an unselfish trooper. ;)

You have to admire the way he presents himself and Hunter as "renegade heroes" doing what is best for the company at any cost. It's a good story--too bad it isn't true at all.

If I was paranoid enough, I'd say he was using the book to poke fun at smarks. And it wouldn't be that much of a reach.

Agreed. A lot of wrestlers really resent the internet/smark crowd. It's so hard to trust wrestlers because they are basically con men. However, a lot of so called news gets lost in translation before it hits the 'net and then wrestlers hear about it and hate it. In the wrestling world, there is the wrestlers side, the internet's side, and somewhere in between is the real story and truth.

Guest Brian

I don't doubt that the conversations took place , but they are far too polished to be believed.

Guest Fook
So the whole screwjob was Shawn's idea? DAYUM.

I knew Gerald Brisco was the architect of the screwjob, but I didn't know it was originally Shawn's idea.

From the excerpt it seemed like Vince, Shawn, and Hunter were all thinking the same thing and it just happened to be Shawn who first said it out loud.

I seriously doubt that this is real. The spelling, grammatical, and punctuation errors in this are insane! And the flow of the writing is terrible. I ccould accept the spelling and puctuation errors if this was something that was just transcibed by someone onto a computer, but the writing looks like it hasn't even been edited yet.

Guest JMA
I seriously doubt that this is real. The spelling, grammatical, and punctuation errors in this are insane! And the flow of the writing is terrible. I ccould accept the spelling and puctuation errors if this was something that was just transcibed by someone onto a computer, but the writing looks like it hasn't even been edited yet.

I hope it isn't real. I'd like to think Shawn (or whoever is ghost-writing this) is a better writer than that.

It is being transcribed by someone who has an advanced copy. Here is more little nuggets from the guy...

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject:   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope to finish the book up sometime tomorrow and have my thoughts. so far, I like it. Here is more stuff from the Montreal chapter, you'd be suprised who promised to protect Shawn in the back...

We (Bret and Shawn) were talking things through, and Bret came up with this spot where I get him in the Sharpshooter and then he reverses it by pulling on my leg.

Ding! THe bell went off in my head. I can't remember the rest of our conversation and how we laid out the match because I knew it was never going to happen.

"Earl, I need you to listen to me very carefully." I was speaking very softly. "We are doing a big swerve tonight. I am going to get Bret in the Sharpshooter, and I need you to ring the bell."

He was a bit confused and in a normal tone of voice said, "Wait a minute."

"Earl, be very quiet. I need you to listen. This is very serious. Earl, we are screwing Bret tonight. We are going to be having the macth, and you have to ring the bell. We are taking teh title off him tonight. He doesn't know. Can you do it?"

"What are we doing?"

As we were going over the match, Bret asked, "Do you want to do something with the flag again? When you stuck the flag up your nose in that one match, you got a ton of heat up in Canada. I'm telling you they were just livid. You want to do it?"

"Sure I'll do whatever you want."

After the deal went down, everyone made a big deal about me jerking around the Canadian flag, but like the Sharpshooter, it was his idea. This was beyond the Twlight Zone.

I got in the ring, looked at Earl, and screamed, "are you ready to do this? Are you ready?"

"I'm ready."

"You have to do it, Earl, you got to do this, don't worry. Just do it and get out of here." I could see the nervousness on his face. WHo knows what the crowd was going to do? Poor Earl, I think he aged twenty years that night.

We had been in ther ing for just a little bit when Vince started walking down to ringside with Sgt. Slaughter. I had no idea Vince was going to come down to the ring.

Bret didn't say anything. I whispered, "Why is Vince coming down?"

I remember looking at Earl and saying "Here we go."

I locked eyes with Earl as I spun Bret over and put the hold on. I yeelled, "Ring it, ring it now!" As soon as Bret started pulling my leg, the bell rang.

I did not know Vince had called for the bell as well. I believe he came down to try and make it as clear as possible that it was his decision to do this and not mine.

He (Bret) asked me if I knew anything about it. "As God is my witness, I didn't know anything about it, Bret." I lied plain and simple.

Bret walked up to Vince and punched him in the face. Vince took what looked like to me the worst dive ever.

We saw a large crowd gathered in front of the hotel. We put our heads down and ran through the mod. They were yelling obscenties at us,a nd one woman punched hunter in the face. The lobby was jamemd with angry people as well, so we sprinted all the way to the elevator. We were safe now, and we went to my room and tried to settle down. I looked at Hunter, he looekd at me, and then I said, "We did it, dind't we?"

"You did what you had to do, Shawn."

Guest BionicRedneck

That is hilarious stuff. I'd say, if it's real, this book will certainly challenge Hogan's for the title of 'most fictional autobiography'.