TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

Vince McMahon Institutes New Drug Policy

From WWE.Com at 10:19am EST:

NEW WWE DRUG POLICY

Vince McMahon announces new WWE drug policy. Check back later today for more details.

========

From WWE.Com at 10:45am EST:

In a joint meeting today with the Raw and SmackDown rosters in the United Kingdom, in Sheffield, Vince McMahon announced that within the next several weeks, a new drug testing policy will be implemented in which performance enhancing drugs, such as steroids, etc., recreational drugs, as well as abuse of prescription drugs will be banned.

In addition to the new drug testing procedure, there will also be an emphasis on cardio vascular examinations.

The specifics of the drug policy will be announced over the next several weeks. More details to follow. Check with wwe.com for the latest information.

Guest bigm350
No steroids?...

It'd be nice, but somehow I see WWE finding a way around having to test wrestlers for steroids. Probably recreational drugs. But for the sake of the wrestler's I hope it does include steroid testing.

VINCE MCMAHON ANNOUNCES NEW DRUG POLICY

November 21, 2005

In a joint meeting today with the Raw and SmackDown rosters in the United Kingdom, in Sheffield, Vince McMahon announced that within the next several weeks, a new drug testing policy will be implemented in which performance enhancing drugs, such as steroids, etc., recreational drugs, as well as abuse of prescription drugs will be banned.

In addition to the new drug testing procedure, there will also be an emphasis on cardio vascular examinations.

The specifics of the drug policy will be announced over the next several weeks. More details to follow. Check with wwe.com for the latest information.

Guest Duke_The_Dog

He did this in 92, with the WBF, he ended up bitching at guys getting smaller and whatever

It *might* last six months, maybe. But that's as good as it'll get. And they'll probably let people off for any reason too, like when Hawk was let off in 1992 because the doctor looked into his eyes and could tell he was telling the truth when he claimed to be clean...

I tend to think Vince McMahon's heart isn't completely black and Eddie Guerrero's death had a real effect on him and the entire WWE roster.

If Jesse Ventura continues to toil in politics, you think we'll ever see Vince McMahon having to go before a commission?

We'll see what happens... and keep in mind this steroid test isn't going to be for the good, undetectable stuff (and nobody has a test for HGH yet). So I assume HHH and Batista will still be huge since they have the $$$ to do designer roids.

Kudos to Vince if he's serious about doing this though.

I assume at least they'll take those cardio exams seriously which will help.

Thank GOD. Vince is human. I think Eddie's death hit him extra hard than we all thought.

This makes me so happy. Now I want to see what the details of it are.

And now, TNA needs to step up to the plate. If you want to be a known wrestler, you should have to play by the rules. I don't want to see what happened back in the day when WWF guys got caught, fired...and then they went to WCW.

Guest Coffey
cardio vascular examinations

Does this mean that Trevor Murdoch, The Big Show & Viscera will be out of jobs?

I remember when the steroid shit was just hitting the fan with Vince in 1991. The media went to WCW's guy in charge, Jim Herd. When they asked Herd if WCW tested its wrestlers for steroids, his great response was, "We don't test for dumb stuff like that. We test for the hard stuff."

Will the WWE still be maintaining the schedule that essentially forces guys to take prescription meds like pain killers? Will Vince continue to push big, muscular guys like Batista while the cruiserweights get the shaft, and anyone not fitting a certain mold get pushed aside? Will the WWE continue to fire guys who get injured? Will WWE wrestlers still feel the need to go out and perform even though they are hurt because they think they will lose their spot if they step out to recover?

Yes, this could be a potentially great thing if they're serious about it. But this seems more like a reactionary measure than a strategic one. The WWE sees the criticism, and can see more potential criticism in the future, so they set up drug testing to insure that -in the future, when another wrestler dies and fingers start to get pointed-, the WWE can say "Hey, look, we test. We have a policy. We've done everything we can to make sure our wrestlers aren't abusing." It's more like they're protecting themselves than protecting the wrestlers.

Drug use is more like a symptom of a problem, not the cause of the problem.

The cause(s) of the problem are some of the stuff I wrote above. The schedule. The grind. The pressure to perform. The lifestyle. Hell, even the contracts and the pay-structure help promote drug use.

It's very hard to take this company seriously on this matter because they've tried it before, and then when the public eye stopped watching them, they went back to their old ways. This is the company that is going through a cost-cutting period, has lost a part of their revenue generation in their contract with USA, and implenting a good drug testing policy will cost them millions and potentially put them in the red, all things considered. Which leads me to believe that the policy will be fluffy. That the guys will find ways around it because they can't live life on the road without abusing drugs, they will still see the need to use steroids, and whenever they think they should stop and rest for a while they still won't because the WWE hasn't ensured them that their spot will be there when they get back, and that the office won't really care because their bases are covered, and that you'll still see wrestlers die.

Guest Coffey

You know, it's funny. I don't think this has to do with Eddie Guerrero dying, Angle apparently being on "death watch" or Eugene being suspended "indefinitely." I think it's more because baseball just did it and WWE are "mocking" them. Just like they did with instant replay.

Guest cacheton

92 was a refreshing year because of the strict policy. Perhaps if they toned down on Snitsky types like they did with Warlord types, then we might be getting another wrestling era. And maybe, Angle and Misterio won't have to grow muscles where they shouldn't.

92 was a refreshing year because of the strict policy. Perhaps if they toned down on Snitsky types like they did with Warlord types, then we might be getting another wrestling era. And maybe, Angle and Misterio won't have to grow muscles where they shouldn't.

1992 was also the worst financial year in WWF history which shows the fans are a big part of the blame for the steroid abuse.

NEW WWE DRUG POLICY

From WWE.Com at 10:45am EST:

I just think it is remarkable that the word "steroids" was actually written on the WWE.com site.

It would be nice to believe that this new policy (if it is real and not just for media spin) will be instituted out of genuine concern for the wrestlers. It seems more likely that McMahon wants to have a policy in place to point to should he ever get called up to testify before a congressional committee.

And yeah, the Carters at TNA would be wise to institute their own policy.

The Steroids issue is an interesting one.

If the actual policy places steroids in "performance enhancing drugs" category and not in other categories (prescription meds, for example), then are steroids still allowed if they are prescribed by a doctor?

NEW WWE DRUG POLICY

[kayfabe]Vince McMahon announces new WWE drug policy. Check back later today for more details.[/kayfabe]

========

Let the speculation begin.

That's how I read it.

I'm waiting for a Congressional hearing with Sen. McCain demanding some real changes.