TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Rose Bowl Thread

How are they more apt? Texas gets a ton of turnovers and blocked kicks. As long as Vince isn't carefree with the ball in this game then Texas should protect the ball.

This game will come down to whoever turns the ball over. Because honestly I don't think either defense stops the other offense too much.

Yes but USC's defense hasn't played an offense as versatile as Texas. And they haven't played a dual-threat QB over their entire winning streak(unless you count bryan randall).

So I don't think USC will be able to stop the Texas offense.

I don't really consider Texas that versatile an offense. Excellent, yes--terribly versatile, no. Vince Young is versatile, but that's about it. Their success or failure is going to hinge on how well Vince Young passes. He's had okay days, good days, and great days this season. A great day might win it, a good day keeps it close, and on an okay day, USC walks. The offense runs through him almost exclusively, as Texas has several good RBs, but no real huge standouts that can break a game like Bush or White seem to do every other play. What I saw in yesterday's game was USC's back-seven stepping up their pass coverage to a degree I hadn't seen all season, absolutely incapacitating a top-5 quarterback in Drew Olson. Maintain that and the Trojans are really in excellent shape. They may just have had a great day, but like others in the thread, I expect Pete Carroll's gameplan to be top-notch for this one.

Yeah but you're forgetting that Mack Brown has a month to prepare. Despite his previous choke jobs(all QB related which he will not have to worry about this season)he has still won a ton of games. And let's not forget who's running that defense and who has a month to gameplan with an already excellent defense.

You guys are acting like Texas is not going to practice or plan and just loosely walk into the Rose Bowl and say "oh there's a football game today?"

They'll be ready too. They've won over 20 straight ya know. I know USC's won over 30 straight but it's not like they're playing a team that got hot this year.

It should be a good game. I'll be eagerly anticipating it. I've already asked off work for the night of the game. If Texas gets blown out or loses then I'll just be angry that USC won again. I could care less about Texas themselves. All I care about is if USC wins or loses.

And Edwin USC hasn't played an offense as good as the Texas offense. Yeah they played UCLA but it's not as good as Texas. And USC hasn't played a QB that can escape. You can plan for it but when it actually happens it gets tough to defend.

USC wins 52-35, and 2 TD's will come off of Vince Young interceptions. USC's defense is far from perfect but Vince's inability to make good reads is going to kill him in this game. Carroll is a master at setting up a game plan and making changes throughout. Game stays close until the 4th quarter.

Carroll is a master at setting up a game plan and making changes throughout.

This is what I was getting at referencing Carroll having a month to prepare. Mack Brown will have a month to prepare as well, true, but his team hasn't had to adapt as much by virtue of pretty much blowing everybody out. USC's close ones against Fresno and ND (and to a lesser extent, Arizona State) might actually help them out here. The gameplan didn't really have to change much against Oklahoma State. I think Carroll's a slightly better game coach (though Mack has gotten way better over the last two years) and that may be a big difference when you have two mega-talented teams.

Guest Leelee

My serious prediction:

USC 59, Texas 24.

Texas will not stop USC's running game. USC can contain Texas' biggest threat offensively, Vince Young running around.

Carroll is a master at setting up a game plan and making changes throughout.

This is what I was getting at referencing Carroll having a month to prepare. Mack Brown will have a month to prepare as well, true, but his team hasn't had to adapt as much by virtue of pretty much blowing everybody out. USC's close ones against Fresno and ND (and to a lesser extent, Arizona State) might actually help them out here. The gameplan didn't really have to change much against Oklahoma State. I think Carroll's a slightly better game coach (though Mack has gotten way better over the last two years) and that may be a big difference when you have two mega-talented teams.

Carroll's coverage and blitz schemes are probably the best and most complicated to pick up in college football. USC's defense has great speed and will not allow Young to run wild as he does against more physical defenses. I think that the close tests that USC had to endure helped, because it taught them that when they are under pressure, they can pull out. Texas hasn't had to deal with that since the Ohio State game.

Young's only consistent throw is the long ball, and even Notre Dame, who has a far superior passing game, had trouble beating SC's corners deep. Rivers will also be back for the Trojans. I don't see Young rushing for more than 35 yards, so he will have to pass and, as therealworldschampion said, that can be hard to do against SC when you have trouble making complicated reads as Young sometimes does.

SC will run the ball down Texas throat if they can't do any better than they did against A&M and Oklahoma State. Leinart will have trouble opening up the pass against Texas' talented secondary, so I don't think it will be a blowout, but USC will win.

34-27 Trojans

USC breaks the single game scoring record for a Bowl Game and Mack Brown goes back to Texas crying. Fuck Texas.

The west is the best.

USC breaks the single game scoring record for a Bowl Game and Mack Brown goes back to Texas crying. Fuck Texas.

The west is the best.

Fuck the west. The South is the best. I hope California breaks off soon and sinks. Or Dubya gets angry if Texas loses and nukes California. Now that would be a glorious day.

Ok, now we have a real reason. I think you messed up on that one.

What everyone else says "Fuck Texas. Go California!" And I'm saying "Fuck California." Meanwhile you all flame me and then say "You can't take a joke?" So I make a joke and you get all offended.

PICK ONE! It can't be ok for you to do it and not ok for me to do it.

Guest Leelee

I also would like if California sunk in the Pacific. Then, we'd get San Diego weather.

You can't even take a joke. Shit.

You were the one that wasn't able to take my joke.

I thought what Sass typed was quite funny actually.

Everything you post is a joke. I'm able to take all of that.

I also would like if California sunk in the Pacific. Then, we'd get San Diego weather.

Yes Arizona can stay.....but only because I heard it was a fun place to live. I like it sweltering hot outside with AC blasting inside. So I was told AZ would be the place. How cold does it get there?

You can't even take a joke. Shit.

You were the one that wasn't able to take my joke.

I thought what Sass typed was quite funny actually.

Everything you post is a joke. I'm able to take all of that.

Oh ouch. The pain.

I really did think the idea of Dubya screaming "hook em' horns!" after Texas loses and then pressing the button to drop bombs on California was quite comical.

Guest Leelee

Yes Arizona can stay.....but only because I heard it was a fun place to live. I like it sweltering hot outside with AC blasting inside. So I was told AZ would be the place. How cold does it get there?

In the 30s at night. Some people here bitch, but that's nothing to me. I moved here in October, so I haven't felt what the brutal summers are like yet... but, must be bad because EVERYTHING has an AC and a ceiling fan here.

In the 30s at night. Some people here bitch, but that's nothing to me. I moved here in October, so I haven't felt what the brutal summers are like yet... but, must be bad because EVERYTHING has an AC and a ceiling fan here.

30's at night? So like you go somewhere during the day wearing shorts and a tank top b/c it's so damn hot but you need to bring a change if you're staying out past dark?

He is, with Hershel Dennis backing him up. JD Booty or Matt Sanchez will be the starter and if Sanchez is the starter, they've got a shot of catching Washington at the very least.

He is, with Hershel Dennis backing him up. JD Booty or Matt Sanchez will be the starter and if Sanchez is the starter, they've got a shot of catching Washington at the very least.

I have no clue what the rest of the Pac 10 looks like next season. I know in non-conference they play Nebraska(yeah what a challenge...pfft) but other than that I don't know much about the schedule.

What is Washington's streak?

Damn someone needs to knock them off! OU must preserve it's place in history! If we lose that streak then everyone will forget that OU football exists and we'll fall to the wayside! Forget the fact that we've won the most national titles and games since WWII.....we need the streak!

I don't know the exact number, but it's around 42 or 43. USC also goes to Arkansas out of conference.

As states I hate both Texas and California (well, SoCal anyway. San Joaquin, Yosemite and most of the north are fine).

In this case, Cal happens to be the lesser of two evils.

I don't know the exact number, but it's around 42 or 43. USC also goes to Arkansas out of conference.

Aside from the crazy mountain people that game shouldn't be too much of a challenge.

OU must preserve it's 47 game streak! Somehow.......