TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SuperJerk

What's Up with the Main Page?

I can use Photoshop, I'd be glad to help with some cosmetic stuff. Also, if we all want to write for the site, you should let us.

Though there should be some sort of quality control process that weeds out the crap from the quality stuff.

An "editor"?

I think a blog format would be best. Do it up casual and shit. Websites are so 90's man, let's embrace the Blogennium. Blogs allow for comments and the like. The board is successful, the site is not. I think a big reason for that is people here like discussion and dialogue. Even something like Aintitcoolnews with the talkbacks would be better than straight up columns and shit.

And "Pop Culture" is lame. Everyone is doing Pop Culture. It's like the Home Rennovation shows or Texas Hold'um of the internet. Compendiums are so much cooler.

Well what should we be, then? I mean, we can't be wrestling; most of the posters worth a damn have gotten sick of it, yourself included.

As for blogs, we already have our blog section of the forum. We should try and have the main page reflect some sort of organized journalism.

Wrestling sites are soooo 2000. We aren't journalists. We're goofballs. That's part of the charm. Either you make something so absurdly serious, or you make something all casz and shit. There needs to be a gimmick, something to differentiate the site from the billion other sites that deal with the same thing. You got to think "what do we do best" and go from there. Build on strengths.

And I'm talkin bout a fancy blog, though. FANCY.

You want us to be different, yet you say we should do a blog. does not compute.

But yeah, we all have our strengths. You're funny, and have vast knowledge of MMA. I'm a pretentious bastard that points out everybody's mistakes. Al Keiper is a walking Bill James book. A bunch of us could be qualified music critics. Bottom line, a lot of people here are talented writers. So yeah, let's do something with that

Blog is a format, though. It's very accessible. Television is a common, popular, way of showing sitcoms and movies. The content of those shows can still be different, you see. Ditto blogs. To be honest, the main reason to have a blog format is to allow for replies from the reader. When people reply, it means people are reading. A writer feels what he or she is writing is worth it when he or she knows people are reading it - even if those people disagree, at least someone is reading it. People are more likely to respond when there's a place for response, and they can be part of a discussion.

I don't know what the current fads are, but I can tell you that "Pop Culture" is vague and doesn't stand out. A fresh, or semi-fresh spin is needed. You wanna do sports, music, tv, movies, etc. Well, why would anyone want to read TSM for that when they can find it elsewhere? In marketing, that's called Positioning. I can see the reason why you'd label it "pop culture", because you don't know any other way to categorize it. There isn't a focus. If you don't know what you are, how can anyone else?

I don't want to be entirely critical, because -like you- I see that there are talented people here that can create something special, but I can see this thing not working because the foundation, the focus, isn't there. Writers will leave because they feel unappreciated, and feel their hardwork is worthless. People won't read the site because they already have their chosen sources for sports, movies, tv, etc. and don't see anything different or distinct on the main page to get them to switch or to add to their regular web viewing habits.

I see what you mean, and welcome the necessary criticism. We need to find a way to make ourselves stand out, but none of us know how. My worry was that as ubiquitous as blogs are, blogs about pop culture/current events are the most ubiquitous of all. I understand the necessity of feedback; but to me "blog" just conjures up images of useless LiveJournal fodder.

Sorry for getting in the way of Rudo and Czech's argument but i'd gladly volunteer to write for the site too. I'm studying film and english so I could probably review that (movies). Just a suggestion if the powers that be are interested.

On Czech - Rudo's discussion:

I see where both are coming from. Rudo feels that we need something to stand out to actually be considered a main page, but we have nothing so we should have a blog format. While Czech feels that having a blog format will completely stick us in a rut that will never get us noticed.

Or am I off the mark?

Personally I think it's good to remember that Rome wasn't built in a day. Sure we might start off posting on the main page, and get little to no attention, but from writing on the main page it can help us get into a groove of what works, what doesn't, whats needed etc. There is enough demand, and i'm sure if you broke people off into subject they were interested ( sports, music; and even sub genres of that baseball,basketball - rap, jazz) you'd get enough decent content. As long as it's proof read and held to a certain standard, there shouldn't any harm in doing it.

It's not like it'll cause any damage to the site anyway.

My main reasoning behind the blog format is for the reply/response feature. Plus, columns and the like are so formal. I realized that I hate writing columns because they require time and effort and hardwork and I come here to get away from that shit. Blogs are more relaxed. I also realized that if I wanted to write something, why not just write it on the message board? More people will read it, and you will get feedback.

I do like the fact that blogs allow feedback, but I do understand Czech's fear that the main page would read like a Livejournal gone nuts.

Maybe we should attempt to "borrow" a set up from another page?

I see where Rudo's coming from, about not wanting to do work etc, which, do a certain degree would happen if all the articles are processed and edited correctly etc. But, like StevieKick pointed out is that if you did have just blogs on th main page, and it became just like livejournals, if anything it could possibly deminish the quality on the site.

I mean how many livejournals, or even posts/threads on message boards have you read that are sloppy, unprofessional and unfactual, biased topics that hold no relevance. (Not talking to Rudo directly, talking in the plural). You can go anywhere on the net for that type of thing, and there is nothing that would further stand out from the rest. I can see where he's coming from where he says that alot of it would be thankless hard work, but if people are at least willing to try it, I personally don't really see a harm. If anything it could be a chance for alot of people to branch off onto other sites and bigger an better things.

Wow, alot of great thoughts, ideas, and people all on the train now I think. Sorry that this post is so short, but..

The CMS (Content Management System) we are currently using is excellent. All you have to do is design a page(HTML), insert things like $articles$ on it, and also stuff like $article header$, $article author$, $article date$ and use CSS or formatting to those $$'s and it creates HTML pages for your whole site using your template. Pretty simple, great for server loads, because no dynamic stuff is on every page, just simple HTML files and its also great for archive purposes, and reliability not requiring anything but the CGI/Perl backend, which is a nice script which Stephen Popick purchased for us. I need to install some upgrades, but would also like to make sure we keep current articles in some sort of archives or folder still listed as we have alot of great stuff.

The blog type stuff, i would say stick to the forums, the main site to a certain extent will be blog style as I am thinking we will have 20-40 writers hopefully, all contributing to different categories whenever they want. We will try to arrange weekly or bi monthly writings for the writers which have something such as PPV events, or maybe Xbox 360 game reviews of the month/week/ or whatever.

I really like where this is headed for sure, and btw The Czech Republic, those are pretty damn nice headers for 45 seconds of work. Where they in Photo shop? Or just MS Paint?

I am working on compiling a list of people and categorizing them into categories based on talent… In a good way… I.E. Possible web/Designers/Testers (Computer Savy people who know HTML somewhat and such) | Writers, which I am not sure If I should break down into groups, I don’t think so, because just because you writer PPV reviews, I don’t want you not to be able to writer a music review or your thoughts about some world event.

Once I get the list together, I will post it in the first post of the topic for everyone to see. I will be using forum names, however I would like to compose the list with e-mails, AIM, YahooIM, or MSN IM as well as a staff/contributors list, the reason the extra info may not be included, some people don’t like their e-mails and such listed publicly. I would agree.

Anyways, this has ended up longer than I expected  Feel free to PM me, if anyone has questions about anything or has friends which are web-designers…

I love it how half the time I am referred to admin-bot, lol. Maybe I need a new name on the forums? Or need to start using my real name when posting and such.

I do like the fact that blogs allow feedback, but I do understand Czech's fear that the main page would read like a Livejournal gone nuts.

Maybe we should attempt to "borrow" a set up from another page?

We've been using the setup of Rantsylvania from day one, haven't we?

Like we've said, what I'm afraid of with just open access to publishing is that it'll be unfit for publication. Chalk it up to all my English classes over the years, or my OCD, but I feel that if you're gonna put something out there, it better look good. I can't stand seeing errors in columns that I read. How many times have you read a Scott Keith piece that says somebody "takes the reigns" of a wrestling promotion? I can't STAND that! It's wrong, wrong, wrong. Reins. I know some people like to make fun of me for my peer-editing on the board, but if we're going to make these rules for the English language, let's observe them. I understand that blogs offer feedback. So does the board. Ideally, non-members will read columns, register, and discuss them on the website's forum. But there has to be some sense of organization, some kind of system involved that takes everything in, polishes them off, and presents them as a finished product. It can't just be 50 monkeys hurling shit at the wall.

I think for anyone to be put on a list of writers, they should at least commit to 1 article a month.

Again I'm more than willing to help wherever possible.

Guest Vitamin X

All my contact info is listed publically on my, uh, card or whatever it is. That includes AIM, Yahoo, and e-mail.

All my contact info is listed publically on my, uh, card or whatever it is. That includes AIM, Yahoo, and e-mail.

Mine too. I'd write a sports column weekly if asked, maybe even edit.

Just the word "Blog" should never be mentioned during any discussion on writing real articles again. People want to make comments, shoot the writer an E-mail, you know, like any reputable place would do. And do you really want what Scotsmanality looked like? Sure, the pieces would be good, but then there'd be another 50% of page to go filled with gimmicks, people trying to use the forum to get over, and what the fuck ever else happening. Not having comments on articles would make the assertion that our writers are talented enough to stand on their own, and no comment is needed from others. Nothing prevents the writer of an article from having a little E-mail response, but having too much writer/reader interaction is called a messageboard. Fuck that, we've already got one of those.

I do like the idea of a blog, but I don't like the idea that everyone can leave stupid comments on whatever you write. With a forum of this size, a blog probably isn't the correct way to do this.

As stated earlier, people do join the board after reading the columns and figure that the good columns that are up on the main page are indicative of the level of the posts on the forum. That's why I joined the board, so I'm sure other people would too.

I don't want it to look like Scotsmanality at all. It's cheap looking and unprofessional.

I think there should be a moderator who deletes stupid comments on the blog.

Or we could be practical and just write articles without comments to avoid such overcomplications.

Here's something that no one has suggested yet (or maybe I missed it): movie reviews. Not DVD, but current movie reviews. Don't call me creepy, but I like going to movies alone, and I'd be more than willing to attend one (or more) a week and post a detailed review/critique, as opposed to my "Hoff rambles on about nothing," which I'm sure ten other people will jump on anyway. Just a thought.

As for the above, I like what admin is saying and I'm willing to drink his kool-aid. I'd prefer to stay away from the blog format, personally, because then why have a message board. I'd rather see a "Column Feedback" folder open on the board, or some such, for people to leave comments and discuss....things. Yeah. But seriously, as professional as possible would be my feelings.

And admin, a name change'd be good...might I suggest "STEEL-TOED BOOT."

No offense to Rudo, but the next person to say "Blogennium" gets stabbed.

As for running one of those regularly, they're harder then they look. I'd know, I tried it myself. You'll have a couple of people who are overly dedicated to it, and a host of others who will fade in and out.

And fuck a wrestling blog.

As for the above, I like what admin is saying and I'm willing to drink his kool-aid. I'd prefer to stay away from the blog format, personally, because then why have a message board. I'd rather see a "Column Feedback" folder open on the board, or some such, for people to leave comments and discuss....things.

That's pretty much what Site Feedback was originally for....except no one really used it. Even when the site was going along well a couple years ago or so, people rarely got e-mail feedback from their stuff.

Honestly, if you guys want to start a new main page, you should completely distance yourself from this board and start something completely new. As we've seen, a main page connected to this board just doesn't seem worth the time anymore because the board has always been the bigger thing (hence all the "We have a main page?" comments when it is brought up). The only way things can get rolling on a new site is to make it completely new; new name, new layout, everything. For feedback, allow user comments but A) Make people register to comment and B) Give a writer the power to delete unnecessary comments

Edited by KingPK

No offense to Rudo, but the next person to say "Blogennium" gets stabbed.

As for running one of those regularly, they're harder then they look. I'd know, I tried it myself. You'll have a couple of people who are overly dedicated to it, and a host of others who will fade in and out.

And fuck a wrestling blog.

I didn't mean I actually wanted a wrestling blog, I just think that's a good example of a blog that has multiple writers.

No offense to Rudo, but the next person to say "Blogennium" gets stabbed

No offense taken. This was, of course, the desired effect "Blogennium" was supposed to have. Oops.

Whatever, don't do a blog, don't allow for more direct feedback. I'll give you 2 months, and then you will all get bored of it. I know that I will only send feedback if the writer said something incredibly brilliant and blew my mind, or something incredibly stupid and make me want to blow my brains out. I would be more inclined to reply when I can do so quickly and with as little effort as possible.

Those of you who want a more professional site, your goals and expectations are unrealistic and way too high. You are bound to be disappointed.