TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cabbageboy

NFL Week XIV

As a Panthers' fan, I would like to get some opinions on DeShaun Foster. Do you guy think he could carry the load for our team? He had a great game against Atlanta last week and showed flashes of greatness in our Super Bowl season a few years ago. The kid has to stay healthy, that is probably the biggest knock against him.

Guest Leelee

If Foster remained healthy, certainly. I think he's one of the most talented overall backs in the league. Good receiver for a back. Good moves and power. But, if he was always injured as a backup... I wouldn't want to have to rely on him to have a heavy workload.

But you know, anyone could've said the same thing about the 2001 Patriots, is I guess kind of my point. Remember that year the Rams seemed like the unstoppable force on both sides of the ball whereas the previous year they lacked defense but were a force on offense (sound familiar?) and the Patriots still were able to beat them. Whether you win by 3 or 30, a win's still a win, and the Patriots style of football, if they won 24-17 or worse, you have to realize that they still outcoached and outplayed the opposition to get there. Some people find it boring, I look at it like perfect execution of perfect playcalling, which is something not seen in the league since Bill Walsh's Niners (which is why the Patriots-Niners comparisons, I certainly believe, are warranted). Brady may win another Super Bowl or two, maybe even as soon as next year.

Either way, the Seahawks resemble that squad, and they have tons of clear-cut advantages over everyone else in the NFC. I almost feel a bit awkward defending them when someone like Special K or MrRant should be, but I just can't agree that there's any team that's a more clear-cut #2 than Seattle is. Some media journalists have gotten a tremendous hard-on for San Diego recently as well, which is understandable since the defense has come together recently to catch up with that great offense, but, much like the Giants, they're young, inexperienced, and inconsistent, and the worst part is both teams having old-school, physical style coaches who are in charge of an explosive offense and inconsistent defense. Schottenheimer in particular can't deviate from his style of ball, either. The Giants missed an incredible amount of opportunities to establish themselves as the premier team in the NFC, whereas the Seahawks have taken every opportunity to do so. That's the biggest difference between a great team and an elite team.

It's hard to defend a team that really no one is able to watch outside of their destruction of Houston and Philly. They are a very good offensive team and a relatively good defensive team. And they are opportunistic just like you said and make few mistakes.

Tell that to Oakland Raider fans circa 2001...

I was gonna put in beside the tuck rule game, but Vinateri still had to make those FGs.

And that if the Raiders pushed them back, hell, just 5 yards, that first kick is impossible.

People may think that the Pats' style is "boring", but a lot of the players have Super Bowl rings on three of their fingers because of it while the more "flashier" teams have one (Rams) or none (Colts), so I don't think they are complaining about it much.

EDIT: And you can't tell me that the three Super Bowls they've been in have been "boring". I watched 38 the other night and it still is one of the best games I've ever seen.

Edited by KingPK

Well its going to be cold as hell tomorrow down at PBS, but it could be great. Tomorrow I'll be a one day Chicago Bears fan. Although I think the Colts and Seahawks are the only teams that clinch their divisions tomorrow. I just think Pittsburgh recovers and plays well at home.

How crazy is it that Minnesota could be 8-5 at the end of the day?

Guest Frank_Nabbit

Aaron Rodgers may go to NFL Europe...

Overseas work

It’s rare that a first-round draft choice would be sent to the NFL Europe League but the Packers at least will consider sending No. 2 quarterback Aaron Rodgers, particularly if Favre returns.

"That’s a question to be mulled over in the off-season," Bevell said. "There’s pros and cons to doing it both ways. I’m sure he would be better off staying doing our stuff."

Craig Nall, a fifth-round pick, benefited from playing in NFL Europe after his rookie season.

"Guys taken in the first round develop playing in the NFL," Nall said. "You usually don’t draft a guy in the first round for him to sit."

When the Packers first began giving Favre off on Wednesdays, Nall said he and Rodgers split time with the No. 1 offense. Recently, Rodgers has been getting about 75% of the reps on Wednesdays. When Favre practices, his backups split time with the scout team.

"I don’t want anyone to think (Rodgers) is sitting there on the shelf doing nothing," Bevell said. "He’s getting better within our stuff, there’s no doubt. He’s come a long ways."

Nall, who will become an unrestricted free agent, doesn’t know what the future holds.

"It kind of depends on what No. 4 does and if there’s any changes in the coaching staff," Nall said. "I just want the opportunity to compete for a job, to fight to play. It may be here.

"Who knows? I’m coming up on my fifth year and I’ve got maybe 50 snaps under my belt."

Said Bevell, "You can say whatever you want about Craig, but every time he’s stepped in he’s done a nice job."

Which backup would give the Packers the best chance to win without Favre?

"In my mind, I think I would do a better job," Nall said. "But that’s my biased opinion. At the same time, the coaches might have a completely different opinion of things."

I might as well toss in my pointless picks

Oakland at NY Jets

NYJ are on a march for Reggie and they won't stop the train today. Oakland 16 NYJ 7

Houston at Tennessee.

Houston will discover a new way to throw a football game. Houston 21 Tennessee 26

Chicago at Pittsburgh

This should be a beautiful game defensively and ugly from the offenses. It's a game to see which QB fucks up the least.

Chicago 13 Pittsburgh 7

New England at Buffalo

This isn't the DYNASTY Patriots anymore but they are still much better then the worthless Bills.

New England 27 Buffalo 14

Cleveland at Cincinnati.

People believe Cincinnati will rape Cleveland. I don't. However, The Bengals clinch the title today.

Cleveland 14 Cincinnati 24

St. Louis at Minnesota.

St. Louis has fallen apart and Minnesota is a hot team.

St. Louis 17 Minnesota 26

Indianapolis at Jacksonville.

Jacksonville actually claiming they will beat the Colts is a joke. Peyton will murder them.

Indianapolis 34 Jacksonville 10

Tampa Bay at Carolina.

Carolina is a home team. Still not sold on Simms

Tampa Bay 13 Carolina 16

4:05

San Francisco at Seattle

Ugh. Ugly game that Seattle lets SF hang too close and have to struggle to get the win locked up.

San Francisco 16 Seattle 21

Washington at Arizona.

Washington doesn't seem as strong lately and 'Zona plays tough at home.

Washington 6 Arizona 14

NY Giants at Philadelphia.

Philly has been a failure all year and this continues today.

New York 17 Philadelphia 6

Kansas City at Dallas.

Game of the day.

Kansas City 27 Dallas 24 (Overtime)

Miami at San Diego.

Heh.

Miami 10 San Diego 41

Baltimore at Denver.

Upset pick.

Baltimore 16 Denver 10

8:30

Detroit at Green Bay

Whatever

Detroit 10 Green Bay 14

Monday, 9:00

New Orleans at Atlanta

Proof that MNF needs better scheduling. Did they really think NO, even before Katrina would be a important team in week 14?

New Orleans 7 Atlanta 24

Guest Leelee

Hey, the Bills are playing, and sucking, of course.

I don't think they'll ever beat New England again.

Is my cable outlet trying to kill me? Both of these games are dueling each other to be more horrific than the other.

Edited by mike546

Watching those Texan highlights, you can't count to two before the entire defensive line of the TITANS is crushing Carr. Why the fuck would they bother drafting Reggie Bush? What's he going to do? Do a spin move before losing five yards each carry cause he has no blockers?

Trade down and get some damn offensive linemen!

Edited by 2GOLD

Charlie Charlie Charlie!!! Browns 17 . . . Bengals 13.

Yeah, they can flush that little "Browns need a quarterback next year" crap.

And what are the odds the Bears can come from behind to win a game?

Watching those Texan highlights, you can't count to two before the entire defensive line of the TITANS is crushing Carr. Why the fuck would they bother drafting Reggie Bush? What's he going to do? Do a spin move before losing five yards each carry cause he has no blockers?

Trade down and get some damn offensive linemen!

Exactly. I'm already sick of this "Reggie Bush sweepstakes" stuff on the halftime shows and the announcers chanting "Reggie!" every time a bad team makes a crappy play or gets burned for a score. It's inconceivable to these clowns that these teams might be better served by someone other than Bush.