TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

2005-06 MLB Offseason Thread

And, to top it all off, ESPN was celebrating the fact that Kenny Williams was "being honest" about Frank. Are you serious? Can we dig up the "Reasons why ESPN is terrible" thread again?

The reason other GMs don't make comments like that is because it's childish and completely unprofessional. Between these comments and Ozzie Guillen's existence, it's like Chicago White Sox: The High School Years.

Guest Brian

Well fuck that shit. I've loved the White Sox since forever, but if that's the way they treat things, especially regarding my favorite player of all time, they can go fuck themselves.

If anyone in the Dodger organization were to say that about Jackie Robinson, Duke Snider or Tommy Lasorda, I'd take this flag right out of my sig, pull the banner off my wall, drive down to Dodger Stadium, park by McCourt's car, wait for him, then light the banner on fire.

Well, I probably wouldn't, but I damn sure wouldn't be a fan of the organization anymore.

Kenny seems to take things really personally when a player leaves on not the best terms. He basically did the same thing when Magglio Ordonez left. Thomas pretty much squashed the whole thing today but makes that first trip back to Chicago all the more fun.

ESPN: OMG BARRY BONDS DRESSED UP AS PAULA ABDUL!!!!

Oh that Barry he's so whacky. Gee ESPN showing this clip over and over again wouldn't be some planned bit for his "reality" show? Nah, couldn't be. ESPN never shills their own shows.

ESPN is having a Bonds reality show? THIS I have to see. I'm amazed that Bonds, who shows so much contempt for the media and the public, would put himself out there like that.

Let me ask you a question:

If I had to make you guess what type of contract extention Randy Winn just signed, what would you guess?

2 yrs/7 mil? 3 yrs/10 mil?

How about 3 years/23.25 mil?

Yikes.

Winn's contract is bad, but Jack Wilson's is worse. 3yrs/$20 mil for a career line of .263/.304/.368? Double yikes.

But I suppose that's one reason the Pirates are the Pirates.

He's not going to replicate his otherworldly September for the duration of his contract, but Randy Winn is actually a very valuable player. He gets on base at a respectable clip, runs the bases very well, is a decent defensive center fielder, and has a little bit of power to round out his game. It's a lengthy extension, but it's justified - there's no center fielders coming through the Giant prospect pipeline anytime soon and, in the meantime, Winn could be one of the five best centerfielders in the league.

Also, from what I understand, Winn is from the San Francisco area, which makes the signing a decent PR move as well.

It's hard to say which contract is worse. At least the Wilson contract covers him solely through his prime. Winn is already 32. Winn is a markably better player, but Wilson is a truly good defensive performer.

It's hard to say which contract is worse. At least the Wilson contract covers him solely through his prime. Winn is already 32. Winn is a markably better player, but Wilson is a truly good defensive performer.

If it was a four or five year extension, I'd have more reservations about the deal. As it is, Winn has a very good combination of power of speed, which historically indicates that the player is going to age a little more gracefully than your typical MLB veteran. Winn may not be a 20/20 candidate over the last two years of the deal, but I think he'll still provide more than enough value as a centerfielder to justify the contract.

Guest StylesMark
Pavano's going to start the year on the DL. Ugh.

Maybe that's not such a bad thing, given his uselessness last year.

with pavano hurt again, heers hoping chacon is not a 1 yera wonder. he did look good in limited action in the spring training opener yesterday though, as did aaron small

Bruiser,

It's justified. He's not arbitration eligible until next year and both he and his agent have gone on record saying that they know they have a big pay day in the future. Keep him cheap this year and I honestly think that the Marlins will try to go long term with him.

At least I hope. But either way, I've read in a few places that they WILL pay him until his salary goes over $10M a year and then get rid of him. Who knows how long that will take.