TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Superfly Snuka

What they should do with Joe and Jarrett following Turning Point.

Hey I posted this at wrestleview.com in response to Turning point thread. Wanted your thought on this:

What they should do, since we all know Jarrett's going to keep the belt for another 5 or 6 months is have Joe stay heel, and destroy all comers in the X-division for next 4 -5 months, and as Jarrett keeps on defeating guys cheapily over these months, the fans will make Joe so popular that he becomes (not that he isn't already) the logical choice to dethrone Jarrett.

So Jarrett comes out after beating Cage/Monty/ or whoever and says "everyone has tried, but no can beat me." And Joe, though still heel, comes out to confront Jarrett and Jarrett is scared Sh*tless", leading to a title for title match. I think Joe will become the heel that you can't help but like (even over AJ) and the fans make him the popular guy even though his character/demeanor doesn't change fro m being a heel.

Really, I think this would be one for TNA to distinguish themselves from WWE even more; WWE has no one like Joe on their roster currently, while they have a ton of guys like Cage/Monty/Jarret etc. Though, I still would like to see Raven win the title back at some point and have a good run with it (although they dropped the ball a couple of years ago when they had him lose to Jarrett after Jarrett took everyone's finisher and was able to still beat Raven).

Title for Title makes no sense. No one is gonna buy JJ in the X division even if he's not going over, it's dumb to have the possibility of him being X champion.

Title for Title makes no sense. No one is gonna buy JJ in the X division even if he's not going over, it's dumb to have the possibility of him being X champion.

Not that I'd ever have Jarrett go over for the X-title, but it would go with his whole character of taking over/running TNA despite TNA's wishes. He has promos where he says he's going to become the top dog not only by being the heavyweight champ, but also by taking what the fans/federation hold most dear...their identity...the x-division title. He could even threaten to throw down the title when he wins it during his promos leading up to the match., which would make his heel heat at least a little legitimate in th"good" sense of the word for once.

But, I would in no way, have Joe lose to Jarrett or become a babyface along the way. Fans cheer Joe just because he is that damn good, out of respect, not because his character changes. Obviously, after Joe wins the heavyweight title, the X-division has a tournament to crown a new champion , with either qualifying matches on imapct or just one PPV devoted fully to a tournament (with no other matches).

Jarrett has to go. And not just to the midcard. He needs to be off TNA for at least a year. Even if the current, monotonous, generic 15 X-Division guys get personalities, they will all job to Jarrett. They won't matter. Look at Joe. I think he's the only guy who actually has a shot at a decent character (mostly because of last night). He needs to destroy Jarrett and get him out, first time. No fancy stuff about it. Make the WWE rejects who have jobbed to Jarrett before learn the TNA style.

Jarrett has to go. And not just to the midcard. He needs to be off TNA for at least a year. Even if the current, monotonous, generic 15 X-Division guys get personalities, they will all job to Jarrett. They won't matter. Look at Joe. I think he's the only guy who actually has a shot at a decent character (mostly because of last night). He needs to destroy Jarrett and get him out, first time. No fancy stuff about it. Make the WWE rejects who have jobbed to Jarrett before learn the TNA style.

Exactly. And getting destroyed by Joe in their first match would be a good start, where the Jarrett character can be off TV for 3-6 months and be repackaged.

Hardy? That has to be a joke. I'd RATHER have Jarrett than Hardy.

Not that I'm a hardy mark at all, but wasn't he at one time contending for the NWA title?

More closely on topic - It's been said that Jarrett should go off TV for 6 months and repackage his character. Do you really think he'll EVER go off TV for an extended period of time? Anyway, he's been playing the same character more or less since his second stint with the WWE. Do you really think Jarrett thinks his character is stale?

No, he doesn't, and that's the problem. I like him in the role of the badass, take-no-prisoners heel...but not at the top of the card, and not at the expense of others. There's a reason Jarrett was his most over in TNA from July '02 until April '03, and that's because his character was CHASING the belt. He wasn't about holding onto the belt by any means necessary, be it interference or purposeful DQ or whatever, but he was a fighting champion. When he turned face (which wasn't even intentional, as the Nashville fans started CHEERING him...even the HEEL SECTION loved JJ until Jarrett/Styles) he was a fighting champion.

That's what I want JJ to be: a heel fighting champion. Subtle. I want JJ to be the kind of heel that you sit back and root against, but you know deep down that he's a bad motherfucker. He doesn't need to be angry all the time, or try to pass himself off as elegant: he needs to shut up, wrestle, and then rub it in everybody's face that he won the match. This risks the possibility of him turning face, but so be it if it means he's interesting again.

Did you think that Hogan belonged in the IC title picture in 1990? It's about elevating the Joe. JJ could easily agree to the match on the basis that it's the only belt he hasn't won or whatever.

Guest JMA

Personally, I'd have Joe stay the way he is now (a heel) and hold the belt for a year. It'll really elevate the X belt and the person that finally does beat Joe will look very good. Joe himself could turn face shortly after he loses the title.

As for Jarrett, after he loses the title to Christian he should take only three months off (that's the most realistic time he'd take off) and come back as an upper midcarder. Wrestlers could beat Jarrett when they're finally ready to move into the main event.

Did you think that Hogan belonged in the IC title picture in 1990? It's about elevating the Joe. JJ could easily agree to the match on the basis that it's the only belt he hasn't won or whatever.

The X division is a completley different division from the heavyweight division and the division does not cater to Jarrett's style. There is nothing seperating the IC and World title division except for the midcarders and upper level guys so in that vein, I COULD see Hogan challenging for the belt and btw, back then, if you had two belts, you had to forfeit one and JJ won'tbe forfeiting the X title, he'll be defending it *shudders the thought*

Guest Leelee

Yes, they should give the big sack of goo the world title for the next 5 years. He'll obviously go over well with the common wrestling fan. TNA won't look like a joke, whatsoever.

OMG HE HIT SOME PRETTY BOI REAL HARD AND BLOODED HIM!!! *****!!! Wait. If I say *****, I'll sound like a Joe fangirl. ****1/2. Because the other guy didn't slow down for Joe.

...thus proving that you have no love for truly great wrestling, seeing as how Joe is one of the greatest North American workers in years. I wouldn't put him near Benoit or Guerrero status yet, but he's definitely on his way.

That's what I want JJ to be: a heel fighting champion. Subtle. I want JJ to be the kind of heel that you sit back and root against, but you know deep down that he's a bad motherfucker. He doesn't need to be angry all the time, or try to pass himself off as elegant: he needs to shut up, wrestle, and then rub it in everybody's face that he won the match. This risks the possibility of him turning face, but so be it if it means he's interesting again.

Soo, sort of like Triple-H in 2000?

Yes, they should give the big sack of goo the world title for the next 5 years. He'll obviously go over well with the common wrestling fan. TNA won't look like a joke, whatsoever.

OMG HE HIT SOME PRETTY BOI REAL HARD AND BLOODED HIM!!! *****!!! Wait. If I say *****, I'll sound like a Joe fangirl. ****1/2. Because the other guy didn't slow down for Joe.

What do you have against Joe?

Soo, sort of like Triple-H in 2000?

Well, considering HHH in 2000 was one of the greatest heel runs in wrestling...yes.

I agree Jarrett should take a break. He needs like 5 or 6 months off TV. Then he can come back as a babyface.....and turn heel again.

Those are 5 or 6 months I wouldn't watch TNA.

Wait...w-w-wait...

Okay, I know you're a Jarrett mark. It's obvious by the avatar, and by how you defended Jarrett a few times when the rest of us here were pretty much calling for his head. But...you admit he's stale and could use a break...so why would you stop watching when the main reason the main event is boring and predictable is gone? That'd be like not watching WCW because Hogan was on one of his hiatuses.

And yet, if you ask 100 of us, including yourself, 99 of us would rather watch that big sack of goo kill something, than Randy Orton kill himself. And that's saying something

What I wish would happen

Yes, they should give the blond Honky Tonk Man the world title for the next 5 years making him the 30 time champion. He'll obviously go over well with the southern redneck wrestling fan. TNA won't look for real, whatsoever.

OMG HE HIT SOME WWF/WCW HASBEEN REAL HARD WITH THE GUITAR!!! *****!!! Wait. If I say *****, I'll sound like a Jeff Jarret mark. ****1/2. Because the other guy didn't slow down for Double J.

Edited for reality.

The problem with Jarrett is he simply doesn't work in the HHH vicious, ruthless heel bastard role. JJ has always come off as way too much of a slack jawed yokel from Tennessee to ever be a heel mastermind. He's not really a big enough dude to be a physical threat either.

You know when I liked Jarrett best? From 1988-93 or so when I used to watch the USWA. He was fine as a good ole boy face with the long pretty boy blond locks. Also, they had Lawler to carry the company so Jarrett wasn't horribly overexposed.

Problem is, that sort of thing won't work anymore with Jarrett. TNA's fanbase is much more smarkish than the USWA's (where people didn't care his dad ran the promotion). I didn't mind it in 2002 on TNA when Jarrett won the title since I knew his dad ran the place and it was a redneck league out of Nashville. But for a promotion trying to grow nationally? It can't work.

In response to the original post...I kinda like this idea. If they decided to go this route, I think it'd be cool to actually start a rivalry between the two on the basis of which belt is more respected. TNA could start building Joe's title matches as "must see" events, and with him appearing so dominant as Champ while Jarrett looks sort of weak, eventually you could start having announcers make little comments about Joe being a star in TNA that may even be above the World Title. This notion could be further reinforced by having a few of the bigger stars in the company (like maybe Christian...guys who could believably main event but not look completely out of place working in the X Division) decide that they'd rather challenge for Joe's belt instead of Jarrett's belt, which would unnerve Jarrett to the point that he begins making increasingly obvious attempts to outdo him and win back some respect. From there you could either have things go to the point that Jeff gets fed up and challenges him to the title vs. title match, or if you didn't wanna go that route, you could perhaps have Jarrett sabotage Joe's X reign, leading to him coming after the World belt for revenge.

I dunno how all this'd work, since this would probably devalue the World belt to some degree (although it's not like it isn't devalued already with Jarrett as champ), but I think it'd be an interesting approach, if only because it seems to reflect most people's thoughts about the divisions (with the X-Division being above the Heavyweight Division as a drawing point for TNA).

Wait...w-w-wait...

Okay, I know you're a Jarrett mark. It's obvious by the avatar, and by how you defended Jarrett a few times when the rest of us here were pretty much calling for his head. But...you admit he's stale and could use a break...so why would you stop watching when the main reason the main event is boring and predictable is gone? That'd be like not watching WCW because Hogan was on one of his hiatuses.

I admit Jarrett is stale for everyone else. He's not stale for me. He can do this BS for years and I'll watch TNA and love it. But everyone else is tired as fuck of Jarrett. They should take him off TV, cuz the fans just shit on him everytime he comes out. I will finally admit something. Jarrett is getting "go away" heat. there i said it.

The fans want him to leave...forever. And thats not good. He's overstayed his welcome as a main eventer in everyone's eyes but mine. TNA can't have their champion getting shit on everytime he comes out, makes them look very bad. Jarrett needs to take a break for at least 6 months to ever be accepted by the orlando kids again.

It's obvious Jarrett is trying to portray the heel champ Flair was in his prime. The champion people pay to see get his ass kicked, only to piss everyone off and walk away the champ again.

Samoa Joe can be a great bad-ass champ...people cheer him because he kicks everyone's ass. If TNA does it right, he could be the future of the company.

Guest Amy Ace

I think they should have Joe work with Sting in his first program, to get him (Joe) over as a legitimate title contender to the fans, that would do a lot of good for TNA in the long run, by establishing another top star, that can be at the main event level for many years to come.

Jeff Jarrett doesn't bother me. He's not BAD... just overplayed. I do wish they'd stop showing him coming down to ringside and argue with Mike Tenay for five minutes during every episode of Impact though. That got old well before the 20-so odd times they've done it.

Guest Coffey

This is off-topic, so I apologise, however, I watched the Bret Hart DVD last night. During the DVD, when they were talking about Owen dying, it reshowed the footage of Jeff Jarrett's promo from the Owen Memorial Raw. Jarrett just straight broke the fuck down. It was really hard to watch.

If there's one thing I'll never do, it's doubt Jarrett's passion for anything.