TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
UZI Suicide

Man cries at a Wrestling Convention

Do people get hurt in wrestling? Yes, but no more than a stunt man does. The only difference is a stunt man has a union that ensures he is unlikely to end up with long term disabilities as a result of his line of work.

Another difference

People know who Terry Funk, Mick Foley, Steve Austin, Rocky Maivia, Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, ect... are

Sadly IMO and probably yours, stuntmen are among the long, long, long list of unknown collaborators on movies and TV shows (gaffers, wardrobe and makeup, tech guys for special effects, guys behind the cameras, ect...) that only get mentioned in the credits of a movie, and usually without any kind of recongition of who they were stunting for (which really would be a cool thing to know without say hearing about it on a DVD commentary)

So there inlies why someone would care more about the injuries suffered by a pro-wrestler, which often is available for viewing as it happens) than those suffered by a stunt guy, which is often spoken about long after the fact as footnotes on the production.

And yes for every Owen Hart there are probably a slew more like Kevin (guy who played Aries on Xena) Smith in the world of stunt men so at the end of the day, wrestling is a much better profession in that regard

It kind of puts into perspective how 'normal' society views wrestling & wrestling fans.

And events such as this put it right next to rodeos and NASCAR.

Just to show you NASCAR's acceptance in major markets' mainstream sports here is an exchange from this year on New York City's 1050 ESPN Radio

CALLER: [On that weekend's Daytona 500] Now pay attention to the last 10 laps...(cut off and hung up on by the host Wally Mathews)

WALLY: Why? Didn't Earnhardt buy it on the last lap?

In essence, no one cares unless there is a real death and those who like it for what it is are redneck, red state living, tobbacco chewing, Waylon Jennings lovin' bare cracked, trailer park living, ect (fill in with other red neck sterotype you wish) hick

Steve

^ So, since one "Wally" in New York doesn't like NASCAR, no one does? The fact that NASCAR draws 100k people to a lot of their races leads me to believe that it's actually more popular than "Wally" cares to admit. I personally don't give a rat's ass about it, but I know plenty of people that do. And not just hicks, but business owners and people that work for investment firms and shit like that.

^ So, since one "Wally" in New York doesn't like NASCAR, no one does? The fact that NASCAR draws 100k people to a lot of their races leads me to believe that it's actually more popular than "Wally" cares to admit. I personally don't give a rat's ass about it, but I know plenty of people that do. And not just hicks, but business owners and people that work for investment firms and shit like that.

No, I was pointing out the popular opinion of NASCAR in the mainstream media and why it, wrestling and rodeo are always lumped together and why in places like New York they are either given "Stupid Red Necks love that" or "Guilty Pleasure" status

Wally is a grade A jerk by the way, (and was fired soon after, but not because of the comments, raitings for the show were not great and the station wanted a more national sound so they brought in Steven A. Smith) but that opinion about the sport is the prevelant one among the media here, and therefore NASCAR gets hardly any mention unless the host is an admitted fan of the sport, and that number is only one here in the market

Steve