TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mole

Emo/Punk/Pop Rock stuff...

Man, snuffbox is retarded.

One of the best things about the British music scene is that jam bands never took off in any way shape or form over here.

Those emo bands suck though.

You do realize that Ive said several times that I don't like almost all of the bands in the 'jamband' genre and Im only saying that the term itself is stupid, correct?

Or is reading words on a computer screen just too much of a task to handle?

Basically, anyone who follows the leader and uses ridiculous broad terms like 'jamband' should just listen to whatever theyre told to by top40 radio, etc...

So it's retarded to have a name/phrase for a common sound amongst different bands? Sorry, but you wouldn't recommend Oasis to somebody who said they liked The Haunted, you'd want to recommend a band with a similar style. And say you didn't know many of those bands, instead of listing off a few bands you do know, you could just easily say "oh, check out some more death metal bands."

Your argument against grouping similar-sounding bands under one banner is flawed.

Alot of people think every 'metal' song sounds the same...

I, and others, have already listed several bands that 'jam out' (the apparent criteria, unless someone wants to all-out genius and say 'they all hippies!) but arent lumped in as 'jambands'. Its already been mentioned repeatedly how the bands dont all sound the same.

IMO, jambands are bands that take a combination of blues, jazz, and folk and make music that, for the most part, is relaxing. String Cheese Incident, Moe, etc. I wouldn't necessarily count DMB as a jamband, more like pop, but they do have a very jam-ish sound. Most jambands tend to be able to write a song on the spot by just flat-out jamming, knowing enough about blues and jazz to be able to improvise at any given moment without it sounding too out-of-place. Most other styles of music are very focused and dead-set on songwriting, because a lot of styles come from the blues/country/classical combination, but jambands have the tendency to improvise more often than bands of other styles of music.

If the only criteria being used to call a band a "jamband" is that they jam out, then that's stupid fucking criteria. Every band jams out: it's how they write their songs.

And yes, a lot of people do think every metal song sounds the same. There is a similarity between all metal songs, hence the banner "metal."

Now we're gettin somewhere...

All I usually do to describe the bands in the 'jamband' mold is just use the terms Corey used that actually describe the style of the artists...jazzy, bluesish, alt-rock, beat based, blugrass, folk, etc. This is a way to let people know what theyre actually going to hear if they listen to a certain band...not 'they jam out and bathe in patchuli oil'.

Unfortunately alot of the fans of 'jambands' are just as bad as the people that absentmindedly hate it...they will only listen to bands pre-labeled 'jam' by their friends/magaizines/etc. Example - A college student likes Umphreys McGee the 'jamband' but might refuse to listen to Pavement, one of the bands obvious inspirations. Likewise, someone that digs dieselboy or Underworld for their beats might refuse to listen to a rootsier beat-based group like Particle due to its 'jamband' affiliation.

Yeah. Most of the people I know that are/were big into jambands are complete fucking idiots. There's a trend of people becoming hippies because they like to get stoned, and then listen to jambands to further that, rather than being a hippie because you actually share the beliefs of the subculture (peace, harmony, usually vegeterianism, equality, etc.).

It takes more than listening to 'hippie' music to be a hippie. If they don't share in the belief system, then they're not hippies. They're just stoners.

Personally, I listened to a lot of 'hippie' music but never looked/acted/thought like a hippie.

I like punk rock and I dislike emo. That's probably too simplistic and I'm leaving stuff out but how did these two genres get lumped together? It's to the point now where someone says "You like punk? Me too. I like fallout boy, taking back sunday, all american rejects....." And I just turn and walk away. But I'm not like my militant "punk" friends that think that punk rock is some huge "fuck you establishment" rebel music whereas if you're hardcore punk then you're someone special that doesn't put up with shit and what have you. You know like most listeners of a specific brand of music(and only that brand) think.

But really the emo style seems to get a lot of chicks.

What punk acts do you like, Dama?

Safety Dance < all else > nl5xsk1

Modified for accuracy.

I like Rancid(pop punk really), Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, The Casualties, Whole Wheat Bread, Suicide Machines, Bad Religion, Lars Fredrickson and the Bastards, Bouncing Souls, The Dwarves, Street Dogs, NOFX, Lagwagon, and other such assorted shit.

I can't get into Rancid. I think it's because whenever Tim Armstrong sings, he sounds like a retard. I'm not saying that merely to insult him, I mean, literally, he sounds like he has Down's Syndrome. Actually, I've met people with DS who speak more clearly and with better diction than him.

RE: Dama's list of bands ... right on, I was just curious. I realized when I re-read my question that it sounded like I was trying to 'call you out' or something. Truly wasn't my intention, just more a curiosity.

RE: Armstrong's delivery. He's done enough in punk to get a pass in my eyes (and ears, I guess). It's like Ian Mackaye or Henry Rollins: I think both are self-righteous pricks a lot of the time, but both have earned the right to be that way. And, truthfully, I've never actually compared Armstrong's way of singing to a Down's kid. I'll take your word on it, though, Vyce.

Emo and punk get lumped together because "emo" is a shortened form of "emotional punk." It's funny, because early emo bands were just good punk/hardcore bands that wrote some melodic and emotional tunes...and then bands decided to rip them off...and then we get Fall Out Boy.

Fuck Green Day. Fuck Fall Out Boy. There's a huge list of bands I hate. I think I should put it in my sig at some point.

Not to further nitpick, but Fallout Boy is so not punk. Or at least not how I define punk. I view them as the latest shitty emo flavor of the month.

Exactly my point, Vyce. Emo bands, at one time, were actually punk and hardcore bands, they were just more emotional in their music and lyrics than their punk/hardcore brethren. Now? It's not even punk or hardcore, it's just emo.

Emo just may be the worst sub-genre of music created since Bill Haley & His Comets brought rock n' roll to the world.