TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
spman

Fun with Dick and Jane

I caught this one after work tonight, and it's refreshing to see Carrey return to the physical comedy he's famous for. While the movie probobly would be a little more timely a year or two ago, since the whole Corporate White Collar Greed boat has long since sailed, it is still fairly relevent. I'm unfamilliar with the original, although I did read that it wasn't particularly successful or good, so I don't know how it compares, but this is a still a very funny film with great preformances from both Carrey and Tea Leoni, although the whole idea of them seeing burglary as a logical source of income isn't believable in any possible way. Still a very funny, well written film though. This will probobly do great buisness at the Box Office this weekend, and I truely hope it shits all over that new Johnny Knoxville piece of shit that somehow managed to escape from the bowels of the development hell it had been sitting in for 4 years.

I'm seeing this on Friday and then The Producers sometime next weekend. Back to back comedy that actually looks like it might be entertaining.

In fairness to The Ringer, it does have Katherine Heigl. I don't see myself seing either film though, but I am happy to hear that you find Dick and Jane funny. Perhaps I will see it sometime down the line.

I saw it tonight. I dont know why its getting such bad reviews on RT though. Granted, it isnt as funny as Bruce Almighty (although still hilarious), it doesnt deserve to be rotten. The funny parts are far in between, not few and far in between, but you get a funny part, then some acting, then a funny part, for the whole movie. I'd recommend seeing it if you dont go into every film expecting it to be an Oscar nominee.

Granted, it isnt as funny as Bruce Almighty

Uh-oh. I laughed once during that movie, because of Steve Carrell.

Ok, I also laughed at the outtakes, which were funnier than the previous treakly, preachy movie.

"A single mom who drives her kids to soccer practice, THAT's a miracle." Fuck me.

Am I the only one that finds Jim Carrey to be painfully overrated?

To hear that a movie isnt as funny as Bruce Almighty ... man, Schindler's List was funnier than Bruce Almighty.

Am I the only one that finds Jim Carrey to be painfully overrated?

To hear that a movie isnt as funny as Bruce Almighty ... man, Schindler's List was funnier than Bruce Almighty.

Yeah, I saw Bruce Almighty in a packed movie theater and everyone was laughing their ass off except for me....I was like what is with these people? I usually can at least tolerate Jim Carrey movies (I find him a bit overrated but he's still decent) but that movie was a preachy piece of shit.

Carrey works better in dramas anyways, I haven't had a good laugh in any of Carrey's so called comedies in quite some time. The only bright points of Bruce, was Carrell.

However Carrey makes insane money at the box office for those movies and no one bothers to go see his dramas, so he's left to gather meaningless cult popularity for films like Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine because the academy won't take him seriously as an actor because of his past.

Jamie Foxx got a pass because he played a famous singer that everyone loved and Foxx was hardly known to the general public like Carrey is, the academy filled with old farts just see Carrey as Ace Ventura.

Carrey will never be able to shake that image, I have feeling he'll make some independent movie 10 years from now and he'll get the Bill Murray treatment.

As for Dick and Jane? This movie looks worst then Bruce and that's saying alot.

Worse.

Not worst.

I'm turning into Czech with that.

Carrey's my favourite actor and Dick and Jane was like Bruce Almighty. It was funny but seemed like it had a lot to say and wanted to say it, but had to be a Jim Carrey comedy instead.

Oh and Tea Leoni is awful

Thank God someone else thinks this. I can't believe Hollywood is trying to make her into a star. She is one of the most unlikeable actors in the business. She is terrible in everything. Spanglish would have been so much better if Tea wasn't in it. Her character was so annoying that it killed the good performances by Sandler, Paz Vega, Chloris Leachman, etc. I had planned not see this movie because she's in it. I'm going to stick to that.

Thank God someone else thinks this. I can't believe Hollywood is trying to make her into a star.

She only does about one movie a year though. Its not like she's Natalie Portman, who was in virtually everything last year.

I might be wrong, but I'm presuming that not a lot of people go to Jim Carrey movies to see good acting.