TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

Best Album of 1975

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Neither does Zappa's "Trouble Every Day" and several other tracks, I'm sure. Hence my qualifier "Nearly." Most vietnam protest songs have little/no relevance for today, though.

Edited by Agent of Oblivion

I agree with all the albums being named as being good->great.

Willie Nelson's RedHeaded Stranger was also released in 1975 and is my 2nd favorite Willie album and amazing.

Other 1975 albums I enjoy:

Neu! - Neu! '75

Brian Eno - Another Green World

Miles Davis - Agharta

Roxy Music - Siren

The Residents - Third Reich 'n' Roll

I like Physical Graffiti, but the scattershot second disc hurts it. Blood on the Tracks is good, but there's so many other Dylan albums I like better. I never cared much for Pink Floyd, so I don't care much for WYWH.

Somewhere on the site, the guy who runs fastnbulbous offers a convoluted explanation for his rating scale—just because something falls under "9" in any given year doesn't mean he liked it—but whatever. Though the writing is decent, I don't go to the site for critical analysis.

I didn't know Third Reich n Roll was from 75... I'll agree with Neil Young, but that's close, I like that one a lot. Also Horses. Incandenza hates Patti Smith as I recall. And I do too, from a personal standpoint. But it's a good album. Really her only one that I like all of.

Guest Pizza Hut's Game Face

stupid gay bump

Wow, I hadn't heard a lot of stuff when I confidently nominated Wish You Were Here. Knowing what I know now, I'd have to say Another Green World. I'm still going with a progressive album here, but as I realized (and trust me, this hurt), Pink Floyd is the gateway drug of progressive music. Fantastic as Wish You Were Here is, I found superior art rock. My top 12, because that seems like a good number.

Brian Eno - Another Green World

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run

Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti

Frank Zappa/Captain Beefheart - Bongo Fury

Kraftwerk - Radio-Activity

Neil Young - Tonight's the Night

Tom Waits - Nighthawks at the Diner

Kate & Anna McGarrigle

Neu! - Neu! '75

No apologies on my low placement of Tonight's the Night. Yeah, I get it, but still. I neither know nor care if its a legitimate manifestation of sadness or an affectation, but when his voice cracks on "Mellow My Mind," that's just a bad sound being made. I love the bookends and "Albuquerque," like everybody does, but I definitely think Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, After the Gold Rush, and Rust Never Sleeps are superior albums, and Harvest might be too, irrespective of Tonight's the Night's tragic genesis. Moreover, in the ever popular "album inspired by two people dying" section, I might even like Magic and Loss better. At least by then, Lou hadn't tried to hit a note, let alone one in his upper register, since about 1976, so we were spared his version of "railroad traAayaAyackk."

I finally got around to that Rufus Wainwright's Mom & Aunt album, and it's really enjoyable, especially "Kiss and Say Goodbye" and "Complainte pour Ste Catherine," even if that's one honker of a Québecois accent. (Also, I looked up "mcgarrigle" in the music folder to see who else had listened to it, and I was distressed to find that every instance of it related to my intention to listen to this self-titled album. Suffice to say, I was really embarrassed. When I kill myself, this will be part of why.)