TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Kamala

Most forgettable stint in a promotion

John Tolos was the big heel manager in Herb Abrams UWF (the one that Foley writes about in his book) so I always just presumed that Vince took him to kind of fuck with a small competitor.

I'm pretty sure he was a pretty famous wrestler back in the 1960s, with huge blood feuds with people like Freddie Blassie.

Fred Blassie's book details such a feud; I read an excerpt about it. Purchasing Jake Roberts' DVD, it also came with a small booklet containing chapters from Blassie's, Billy Graham's and Jerry Lawler's respective biographies.

Edited by JST

Doesn't really count as a "run" I guess, but does anybody remember Doug Furnas & Phil LaFon's cup of coffee as members of the Hart Foundation in late-1997?

Watching the 1994 Royal Rumble again tonight I could say one of many entrants into that match. (My second favorite rumble match, only upstaged by the 1995 one, in my opinion.) Lots of people remember Genichiro Tenryu's long-lasting performance in that Rumble, but they all seem to forget The Great Kabuki's abortion of an appearance in the Rumble. WTF was that all about?

WWF was doing a talent exchange of sorts with, I think SWS (now defunct fed), and held a "super show" with them in Japan.

As far as Furnas and Lafon, I don't think they were actually members of the Hart Foundation...they just teamed with them a little bit leading up to Survivor Series '97, where Anvil/Bulldog/Furnas/Lafon teamed up.

What about some forgettable manager stints?

Teddy Long managing losers in WCW.

Teddy managing DOOM was forgettable? DOOM was THE team for a while in 90/91

I meant his stint in 96 when he managed losers like Joey Maggs, Jimmy Powers, Craig Pittman, and Ice Train...

Speaking of managers, how about "the Coach" John Tolos? He managed Mr. Perfect briefly in early '90s WWF, and brought in the Beverly Brothers, who seemed like they'd be a big deal, but then he left pretty quickly.

I had just started watching regularly as a young mark around that time (I think my first show was WM6), but I've always wondered why Coach replaced Heenan as Perfect's manager. Was there an angle I missed? I always think of Perfect as a member of the Heenan family and the only reason I even remember Coach is because the Perfect/Bret match is one of my all time favorites. Just wondering if anyone could clear that up for me.

Speaking of managers, how about "the Coach" John Tolos? He managed Mr. Perfect briefly in early '90s WWF, and brought in the Beverly Brothers, who seemed like they'd be a big deal, but then he left pretty quickly.

I had just started watching regularly as a young mark around that time (I think my first show was WM6), but I've always wondered why Coach replaced Heenan as Perfect's manager. Was there an angle I missed? I always think of Perfect as a member of the Heenan family and the only reason I even remember Coach is because the Perfect/Bret match is one of my all time favorites. Just wondering if anyone could clear that up for me.

Heenan did a promo where he said he was going to stop managing and focus on being a broadcast journalist, selling Perfect's contract to Tolos in the process.

Guest Dumb Monkey

The Barbarian's run as Sionne, replacing Samu in the Head Shrinkers. This lasted from September '94 through the Spring of '95, but they did very little of note other than jobbing to Diesel at Survivor Series inside of a minute and being part of the most Jobber-ific Rumble match of all time.

Rob Van Dam I seem to remember was doing some shows with WWF in 1997, but didn't last too long.

WWF was doing a talent exchange of sorts with, I think SWS (now defunct fed), and held a "super show" with them in Japan.

Yeah, that was in '91/'92. They used to bring guys like that in (Carlos Colon in '93, Doug Gilbert in '96, Squat Team in '96, etc.) because they just didn't have enough guys to fill out the Rumble.

I didnt read every page but I think no one mentioned Konnan in WWF 1992/93 when he was Max Moon (he was want he?). I believe he had a fallout or something and that the Max Moon charachter was placed on another wrestler.

HHH in WCW as Jean Paul Levesque. (Terra Ryzin was his Indy name I think.)

He was going under the name Terra Ryzin in WCW as well for a while until they repacked him at Jean Paul Levesque. The plan was for him and Regal to become the Blue Bloods. HHH left and the spot went to Bobby Eaton instead.

Guest viewaskew142

I don't think anyone's mentioned 2 Cold Scorpio's stint in the WWF as "Flash Funk" in 1996(97?)....that was pretty horrible.

Yeah, Vince wasn't quite out of the mindset of "let's take a talented, recognized wrestler and give him a stupid gimmick that won't get over" yet.

Guest new jack 4 prez

bart gunns april 2003 stint he had a match with perry saturn and a couple of run ins as a member of s.e.x and then was gone by may

Guest shark boy super fan

ken shamrock's 2nd TNA run in the summer 2004 he allined with jarrett and the elite guard he returned in late june and was gone by early augest. kevin fertig aka the former seven in ovw's run in wwe as moredci was pretty forrgettable he was gone in to monthes

Guest shark boy super fan
The Steiner Brothers in ECW.

Marty Jannetty in ECW

Buff Bagwell in WWF (as a part of WCW)

Public Enemy in WWF.

Most recently, Johnny B Badd in TNA

marty jannetty in ecw i was i ecw mark from 97 when seattle public access started airing it to when they lost the tnn deal and i don't rember him in there.

the stieners were there after there year long stay in japan right?

i know public enemy was in wcw but when and how long where they in the wwf

i was there live at the tacoma dome for buff bagwell's first match on raw crowd was dead during enterance

i remeber johnny b badd in TNA it lasted a little over a month

Yeah, I think so for the Steiners. They helped Taz change around when they were there, IIRC.

Jannetty was in around 95, I believe. He was in a battle royal and did a backstage promo with Mikey Whipwreck, from what I remember. This was during the build to Mikey's shot at the ECW World Title.

Guest hasbeen
Regal's stint in WWF in 98/99 wasn't forgettable, I remember he was a man, such a man, such a real man's man!

Speaking of Regal, his stint in WCW in 99/00 wasn't anything to write home about either. The only notable thing he did was have a weird three way Saturday Night only feud teaming with Dave Taylor against Erik Watts and Jim Duggan against The Armstrong Brothers. Oh and along the same lines, he fought Jim Duggan for the TV title Jim Duggan found in the garbage can when Duggan was the janitor for WCW.

I emailed that idea (TV title in garbage) to somebody with authority in WCW at the time, and about a month later it was on the air. Even if it wasn't a coincidence, don't know if that's something I should be proud of. ;)

I meant his stint in 96 when he managed losers like Joey Maggs, Jimmy Powers, Craig Pittman, and Ice Train...

Ah yeah that's SO forgettable that I forgot all about it - I guess I proved your point ;)

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

I would imangine most people don't know about Ricky Steamboat's one shot he did in WCCW in 1986 (or 7) while with the WWF

I would imangine most people don't know about Ricky Steamboat's one shot he did in WCCW in 1986 (or 7) while with the WWF
When did WCCW break ties with the NWA? (before this I assume) and who did Steamboat wrestle? I've never heard of it

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Ah here it is:

3rd Cotton Bowl Extravaganza

October 12, 1986 in Dallas, TX

Cotton Bowl drawing 5,835 ($71,729)

Scott Casey pinned The Grappler (8:10).

WCCW Tag Champs Matt Borne & Buzz Sawyer beat Steve Simpson & Dingo Warrior via DQ.

Crusher Yurkoff pinned Brian Adias (9:24).

Mike Von Erich pinned Spike Johnson (6:21).

Chris & Mark Youngblood beat Brad & Bart Batten (9:02).

Ricky Steamboat pinned Mighty Zulu.

Kevin Von Erich pinned Black Bart (6:22) to win the WCCW Title.

Bruiser Brody pinned Abdullah the Butcher in a "steel cage" match. Fritz Von Erich was the special referee.

Ah yeah that's SO forgettable that I forgot all about it - I guess I proved your point ;)

I downloaded World War Three '96 the other day. There's a match on the card between Nick Patrick and Chris Jericho in an "one arm tied behind my back match". And guess who was in Jericho's corner? Yes, Teddy Long. I don't know if it was just for one night or a longer period of time, but at least one of his guys from that forgettable stint eventually became a huge star...

Wasn't Ricky Steamboat in WWF by that point?

...and his opponent was "Mighty Zulu?" You'd think Fritz could've found a better use for Steamboat then that...or was this just supposed to be a squash win that was supposed to be the start of a longer run?

I downloaded World War Three '96 the other day. There's a match on the card between Nick Patrick and Chris Jericho in an "one arm tied behind my back match". And guess who was in Jericho's corner? Yes, Teddy Long. I don't know if it was just for one night or a longer period of time, but at least one of his guys from that forgettable stint eventually became a huge star...

Speaking of that show, it's kinda neat that Jericho was the first guy to defeat a member of the nWo and go on to be the first to win a title from a member of the nWo.