TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest RADAR

Any idea when RVD is gonna return?

Guest MrBriggs
THANK YOU FOR ANY KNOWLEDGE ON THIS SUBJECT - I'M A HUGE RVD FAN.

IM NOT SURE EXACTLY WHEN HE'LL BE COMING BACK, BUT I REMEMBER HEARING A FEW MONTHS AGO THAT HE WAS SUPPOSED TO RETURN IN TIME FOR THE RUMBLE.

ALSO, I THINK YOUR SHIFT KEY MIGHT BE BROKEN.

I was just wondering about this myself, it seems like forever he's been gone. Did he have some kind of setback or was the injury really that severe?

I think he'll show up about a week before the Rumble and announce he is in it. But I wouldn't put any faith in my rambling at the moment....I've had about 6 glasses of wine and/or champagne.

For an all-caps poster, RADAR is quite polite.

I was wondering this myself today.

Smackdown could use him more. So probably he'll return on Raw.

(He was SD when he was injured, correct?)

we haven't even heard an injury update in quite a while - they're usually "so and so is 5 weeks away from returning" and on and on

but nothing on RVD

This to me is the last chance with RVD. When he gets back he's going to be uber over with the crowd and they have got to capitalize on this. And really, Raw does need him more than Smackdown at the moment. SD has a decent roster of faces, with Batista, Rey, UT, etc. What SD is lacking is a heel with any heat.

But Raw? Raw right now has hardly anyone that the fans actually like. Cena is getting booed out of various buildings. Shawn is Shawn, some like him, some don't (depending on the week really and if they blather about Montreal, etc). Flair is too old to really build around anymore, and his personal problems being mentioned on the air for reasons that I don't quite understand. Shelton is being buried to the point of no return.

RVD will be outpopping everyone on the roster when he gets back. Why job him out to Carlito or Masters? Could any possible good come of this? It's not like it'd even get either of them THAT over anyway...has anyone really gotten all that over by beating RVD? Lesnar didn't especially (though he didn't really win that feud), neither did Orton when he won the IC title. Know why? Van Dam's never had that main event run or world title, so beating him isn't as significant. If they'd actually PUSHED RVD then he'd be in a position to actually make some guys.

I would get pissed if he was out there jobbing to Carlito and Masters, but frankly that might be a step up from jobbing to Kenzo Suzuki and Rene Dupree like he was on Smackdown before getting hurt. The ideal guy for him to feud with however is Edge. The battle of the two guys who have never quite gotten to the upper echelon.

I still haven't really forgiven WWE for what they've done to RVD.

Is the guy a good worker? Not really...but Cena and Batista have been slotted at the top and they blow (And Batista is OLD).

He's the ultimate example of not striking when the iron is hot...but instead throwing as much cold water on it as you can to try and prove it was never hot to begin with. ...Just because he wasn't a WWE creation.

If you go back to Invasion (where they had him beat everyone...but never win the title) the crowd was hotter for the guy than Rock or Austin or anyone for that matter...and there was certainly a money program with Austin that they never really got around too.

Hopefully with the steroid testing WWE will start to look at him like an asset and not just crap on him. Chris Masters is about to get a whole lot smaller after all.

Guest JoeJoe

I don't want him returning. I'm all OK with Shelton taking up the spot monkey slot on the RAW roster.

If they let RVD be the RVD he was in ECW...spots and all...then everyone could see that Van Dam had the ability and the means to be a main event character for the WWE. Alas, Vince would never allow it since he never created him.

I know, that's what made those matches really cool. RVD would bust Kurt open hardway and Angle retaliated with some stiff shit of his own. Thing is, I wonder if Kurt can take it like he did in 2001?

Here's one reason RVD is more of an asset than Shelton at this point: He has an effortless charisma and command of the crowd. Recall earlier I said that it was goofy to use RVD to put over young guys when he himself had never had the main event title run that would establish him as a guy notable enough to put others over? It's sort of pointless since his near legendary ECW TV title run was over 5 years ago and in WWE he's never had a truly major run. In other words, I'd let him have his one run a la Jericho and then use him to put others over since he'd have that main event rub to give.

I've never really understood Bps' RVD markdom. It's like "Yeah I like the guy but he's really not any good." While I'll admit that Van Dam can be very formulaic when he's unmotivated (as in most of his post IC run in 2003 on), the guy HAS had a bunch of excellent matches with a variety of opponents. He's had **** type affairs with not only guys like Lynn, Eddie, Jericho and Benoit, but also guys you wouldn't think he'd have much chemistry with like UT and Bam Bam Bigelow. Christian had the best match of his singles career vs. RVD in that ladder match. It was funny in 2002 reading about the Eddie ladder match that "Eddie was carrying RVD" considering that Eddie flat out admitted he was very unsure of how to work a ladder match and that RVD had planned out most of the match.

The only times RVD really struggles is when he has to work a match that simply isn't his style, namely any of the HHH matches where Hunter works the leg and all that shit. RVD is a master of bumping and short term selling of a move, but not so great at stuff like long term selling of a leg (hell his offense revolves around using his legs...working his leg is good psychology but makes for an insanely boring match).