TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

NHL Thread

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is reporting this morning that Mario Lemieux has called a press conference for this afternoon and plans to announce his retirement. I haven't found any corroborating stories, but if so, I hate to see Mario move on like this. I wanted to see him succeed alongside of Sidney Crosby, and it's a shame his career had to end like this.

But, I do get an ounce of suspicion that he's going to talk about ownership, not retirement. That might explain the lack of any other media coverage.

Tyler, the local sports radio stations here are saying Lemieux is going to call it quits.

It sucks that he career had to end this way, but after all he's gone through, including cancer, at least he has his name etched on the Cup twice and he's still young and (hopefully) healthy enough to enjoy the rest of his life.

Yeah, it's got to be a major downer for the team, all of whom seemed to be under the impression that Mario was going to travel with them on their next road trip. He had an irregular heartbeat that he was trying to come back from, but apparently, he couldn't do it. It's a major risk anyway, and I certainly don't blame him for not wanting to jeopardize his health in order to play on a team that stinks as bad as the Pens do right now. It's still a shame, though, that the two announcements (of his retirement and that he's selling the team) came so close together. It's going to be tough to watch the Pens without at least hearing from Mario as a player/owner/general manager/spokesperson/something.

I said it at the Pit, but will say it here as well: In my opinion, he's hanging them up because the Penguins leaving Pittsburgh is inevitable ... he came back to try and salvage the organization, and since it's not working, he has no reason to risk his health any longer.

I wouldn't say that he was the greatest ever, but I would say that he was one of the top 4. And I will admit that he would have challenged most of Gretzky's records if he was able to maintain his health throughout his career.

what about Chicago's GM?
I think Wirtz is the cause of the problems in Chicago. I will say that saying Khabibulin to such a big-ass contract was a poor decision, but he needed some stability in net and getting one of the best in the game is a risk that you have to be willing to take. And it's not like Chicago went from something to the crap that they are now ... they've been crap for a while. Boston was a Stanley Cup contender just last season (two years on the calendar) ... and now they're a contender for the #1 pick in the draft. Just an amazingly quick reversal of fortune.

Who said you could post in my thread at the other place, faggot?

Oh, yeah. Heart problems. My bad.

And while it looks bad now regarding the Pens moving, I think there will be a new Arena built. But then again who the hell knows. Just another reason I love this town.

Build a football stadium to be played in 20-30 times/year by pro/college/high school teams? Sure.

Build a baseball field to be played in by a minor-league team 85-90 times/year? No problem.

Build an arena for hockey 40+ times/year, and for venues such as wrestling, concerts, circus, ice skating, and truck ralleys, among other things? OMG WHAT ARE YOU THINKING? LET'S PUT SOME MORE MONEY INTO THE CONVENTION CENTER!!!!!

Gotta love Shittsburgh.

It's been a rough year for the Penguins. With Palffy and Lemieux retiring, coaching changes, and not knowing what future brings, it must be diffucult to play on that team. Crosby should have went to another team that has more stability like Calgary or Minnesota.

The Penguins could fold or move to: Winnipeg, Hartford, Quebec City, Seattle (what...they got cold weather and they could have a rivalry with Vancouver), or some where else.

Ducks lost in another shootout, therefore shootouts are bad. Jiggy needs to work on his break aways.

I realize that I have a red x to fix in my avatar, but I had to say that there's no chance in hell of an NHL team ever moving to Seattle. The Canucks would never allow it to happen, and Key Arena would not be able to hold a hockey team.

I realize that I have a red x to fix in my avatar, but I had to say that there's no chance in hell of an NHL team ever moving to Seattle. The Canucks would never allow it to happen, and Key Arena would not be able to hold a hockey team.

Its like having a team in Hamilton. Toronto would easily survive, but Buffalo would just crumble in a few short years.

On Lemieux...

As a lifelong Penguins fan...

This is a sad day, but not unexpected. I think everyone knew this was coming and is for the best, and has been for a while. Mario has nothing left to prove on the ice or off of it. He should sit back and enjoy life with his family and kids, don't worry about the sport anymore.

He was and still is the face of Pittsburgh hockey, and he always will be. He single handedly made people care about hockey in Pittsburgh. He is the reason I picked up a hockey stick and started to play the game when I was a young kid.

It's sad to look back and see what COULD have been if he would have been healthy every single year, but I look at the positive and to see what he accomplished throughout is truely remarkable.

To the single best player I have ever had the joy of watching, and the reason I follow hockey....Thank you, Le Magnifque, for the memories.

I will be there to watch them hoist your jersey banner back up to the rafters at the arena just as I was there when it came back down in 2000.

I will still remember the day against the Minnesota North Stars when I was about 7 or 8 that you made two North Star defenders and Jon Casey look like a fool, that was the day that I started to follow hockey and never looked back.

Hopefully we will all be lucky to see it raised once again when a new arena is built in downtown Pittsburgh, aptly named "The House That Mario Built"

Thanks for the memories, kick back and enjoy life.

Guest nWoCHRISnWo

It's too bad he won't get a tribute retirement like Gretzky. Would have loved to see him play one more game at the least, maybe a few shifts in the third period. Knowing him, he'd score on his last shot.

Here's the the greatest hockey player I've ever seen.

They better retire his number quick.

Huh?

When a player has an especially storied career, his team will often display one of his jerseys on the rafters..No other player can wear that jersey number for said team.

Gretzky had his retired by the entire league, I suspect they'll follow suit for Mario.

They better retire his number quick.

Huh?

When a player has an especially storied career, his team will often display one of his jerseys on the rafters..No other player can wear that jersey number for said team.

Gretzky had his retired by the entire league, I suspect they'll follow suit for Mario.

Oh I have no doubt Mario's number will be retired. His number was already hung from the rafters at the Igloo from the Pens until he came back in Dec of 2000. I believe until he came back and played it was retired be the league as well, which I am sure it will be done again.

I thought King was giving a backhanded shot about the Pens moving.

Let's go all the way through Carolina's schedule.

Wins over true quality teams are as follows.

Atlanta (and that's a maybe) 3 times, Ottawa 2 times and Philadelphia 2 times, Buffalo before they got hot once, the Rags once, LA 1 time, Detroit and Nashville (those are real impressive). Big whoop.

They beat up on the Devils without Elias, a Tampa Bay team with zero goaltending, a shitty Montreal team twice, Columbus, Chicago, Anaheim, Toronto twice, Boston, Washington, Pittsburgh, the Isles, the Blues and Florida a lot. Not real impressive, but they don't make their own schedule. If they played better competition they would still be 3rd in their conference.

Okay, I'm pretty sure you inadvertently contradicted your original statements by listing their wins, but just to prove my point.

Against the Sens, who they are tied atop the overall standings with at the moment, in 4 games they are 2-2. Not 1-3 and not 0-4 but 2-2.

Against the Flyers, who have to be considered one of the top three in the East, they have taken 5 out of a possible 6 points in their three games.

And against the Red Wings and Predators, who are currently 1st and 2nd in the West, they are 2-0.

So those are the 4 top teams apart from Carolina standings wise at the current moment, and Carolina is 6-2-1 against them. Now to me, that looks like a pretty good winning percentage and based on that, it's very unfair to say that they would be worse if their schedule was tougher.

For comparison sake, the Flyers are 3-2-2 against those same teams (including Carolina). Ottawa is 2-4, having not played the Wings or Preds.

Furthermore, using your quality wins, Philly only has 2 against Ottawa, 2 against Atlanta, 1 against Carolina, 1 against the Rangers, and 1 against the Flames. The rest were against the teams you mentioned as scrubs.

Ottawa would have 3 against the Sabres, all before they got hot, 2 against the Canes, 1 against the Kings, 1 against the Rangers, and I'll even give you the Avs game, despite you not couting the Tampa wins and the fact that the Avs were in a stretch were they were playing their worst hockey, sandwiching losses to the Penguins and Islanders around the Sens game. However, I won't give you the Oilers one because I think the three headed monster on Conklin/Markannen/Morrison is worse than Grahame.

So 12 quality wins for the 'Canes and only 8 for Philly and Ottawa.

Yet you contend that the Flyers and Senators are more deserving amongst their spot in the standings than the 'Canes?

I think it's probably about time that you just admit that you were wrong with your original statement that Carolina's schedule plays a factor in regards to their current standing amongst the top of the NHL.

That's not to say that I don't think the 'Canes aren't playing over their heads, and I think they will be in tough to maintain a top 2 spot in the East or to make any significant noise in the playoffs, but at the moment they are one of the best teams in the NHL, a fact which has nothing to do with their schedule.

Waiting for the Rangers Euro players to shoot is like waiting for Jerome James to become an all star, it's not going to happen. SHOOT THE GOD DAMN PUCK YOU EURO PUSSIES.

Regarding BWG's post, I know I was slightly wrong. When I said all that stuff, I meant it as if to say that they won't do major damage in the playoffs. I think they are a quality team, just not as good as their spot in the standings indicates.

And to Skullman's post, it's a backhanded shot at them moving, and it's also the fact that I like numbers like Messier's and like Robitaille's and Lemieux's to be retired fast. I realize one of those names is not like the other, but all three are the franchise player.