TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SilverPhoenix

College Hoops: 1/2/2006 - 1/15/2006

Yeah the Big XII team places a Final Four team every year but they rarely make it to the title game and I believe the Big XII has NEVER had a basketball national champion. As a matter of fact the last time a Big 12/Big Eight/Southwest Conference team won the title was Kansas in 88 wasn't it?

Yes, yes it was. Kansas was the last one to win the title from that conference makeup.

And Just so everyone has a list of what conference has won what since the modern tournament era (1985 - Today) here it is.

1985: Villanova (Big East)

1986: Louisville (MCAC (Metro)/Great Midwest(though they were never a GMW member)/Conference USA (Now a Big East team) )

1987: Indiana (Big 10)

1988: Kansas (Big VIII/SWC/Big XII)

1989: Michigan (Big 10)

1990: UNLV (Big West(PCAC)/WAC/Moutain West)

1991 and '92: Duke (ACC)

1993: UNC (ACC)

1994: Arkansas (SEC)

1995: UCLA (Pac 10)

1996: Kentucky (SEC)

1997: Arizona (Pac 10)

1998: Kentucky (SEC)

1999: UConn (Big East)

2000: Michigan State (Big 10)

2001: Duke (ACC)

2002: Maryland (ACC)

2003: Syracuse (Big East)

2004: UConn (Big East)

2005: North Carolina (ACC)

In that Time we have had

ACC: 6

Big East: 4

SEC: 3

Big 10: 3

Pac 10: 2

Big VIII/SWC/Big XII: 1

BW/WAC/MWC: 1

Metro/GMW/CUSA: 1

The mid 90s Saw the SEC Dominate the Championship Game from 1994 - 98 (with Arkansas and Kentucky leading the charge). The ACC and the Big East have always been solid, winning at least one in these 3 decades (dominating this decade, essentially), everyone else has had there flash of glory from the major conferences (except the Altantic 10) by winning at least 1 Championship. However, since 1999 the SEC has gone from dominator to paper tiger as the focus has shifted back to Football, and probations that left Arkansas decimated. In 2006, the SEC is miserably bad as you have virtually no one sans Florida that has a shot of getting to the 2nd tournament weekend. The SEC has had a history of being very overrated (or very disrespected) as far as a Conference goes, though 2006 is when I think we'll finally see the SEC get what it truly deserves.

Does UConn get the 2 seed back or do they both drop?

IMO, they both drop back at this point of the season. Because of one reason.

Florida is still undefeated at this point. They will probably take the number 2 ranking due to that, if nothing else (If Duke loses tonight, then we're going to have an even bigger shakeup possibly.)

Since the week is over it's time for the weekly wrapup.

First lets start with the RPI Conference Rankings.

1 Big Ten 0.5960

2 ACC 0.5839

3 Big East 0.5787

4 SEC 0.5768

5 Missouri Valley 0.5662

6 Pac 10 0.5487

7 Mountain West 0.5240

8 Atlantic 10 0.5175

9 Colonial Athletic 0.5169

10 MAAC 0.5136

11 Big XII 0.5127

12 West Coast 0.5125

13 Western Athletic 0.5105

14 Mid-American 0.5085

15 Horizon League 0.5025

16 Sun Belt 0.4971

17 Southland 0.4835

18 Conference USA 0.4810

19 Big Sky 0.4770

20 Ohio Valley 0.4694

21 Patriot League 0.4672

22 Southern 0.4656

23 Big South 0.4621

24 Ivy League 0.4523

25 Big West 0.4424

26 Northeast 0.4411

27 America East 0.4379

28 Mid Continent 0.4354

29 MEAC 0.4353

30 Independent 0.4235

31 SWAC 0.4121

32 Atlantic Sun 0.4084

And there you have it, your first RPI ranking for the end of the week during the new Year. Things to notice.

- Big Ten is back and in style, with the number 1 RPI Ranking.

- ACC and Big East trade places, probably due to OOC games, and the shifting that always seems to happen at this point.

- The SEC is 4th...and we all ask why?

- The Valley is 5th...Stop Calling them a Mid-Major. With a 10 year record that speaks for itself, this conference is a legit Major now.

- Seems like the Atlantic 10 is back as a Top Tier conference and is probably here to stay that way.

- The CAA and the MAAC are making an apperance in the 1st Tier

- The Big XII is trying to make a run at the Top 10.

- The WAC has dropped considerably since being 7th, a couple of weeks ago.

- CUSA continues to be down.

- The Atlantic Sun is the new poster boy for Conference suckiness. Time for the Play in Game, bitches.

Starting tomorrow. I'm going to be putting the standings for all of the Power and Major Conferences here. I acutally wanted 12 conferences, but I only have the BCS 6, Atlantic 10, Mountain West, Missouri Valley and WAC. What other two conferences does everyone want to see?

Edited by DragonLordKaiba

1 Big Ten 0.5960

2 ACC 0.5839

3 Big East 0.5787

4 SEC 0.5768

5 Missouri Valley 0.5662

6 Pac 10 0.5487

7 Mountain West 0.5240

8 Atlantic 10 0.5175

10 MAAC 0.5136

11 Big XII 0.5127

12 West Coast 0.5125

14 Mid-American 0.5085

15 Horizon League 0.5025

16 Sun Belt 0.4971

17 Southland 0.4835

18 Conference USA 0.4810

19 Big Sky 0.4770

20 Ohio Valley 0.4694

21 Patriot League 0.4672

22 Southern 0.4656

23 Big South 0.4621

24 Ivy League 0.4523

25 Big West 0.4424

26 Northeast 0.4411

27 America East 0.4379

28 Mid Continent 0.4354

29 MEAC 0.4353

30 Independent 0.4235

31 SWAC 0.4121

32 Atlantic Sun 0.4084

And there you have it, your first RPI ranking for the end of the week during the new Year. Things to notice.

- ACC and Big East trade places, probably due to OOC games, and the shifting that always seems to happen at this point.

- The Valley is 5th...Stop Calling them a Mid-Major. With a 10 year record that speaks for itself, this conference is a legit Major now.

- Seems like the Atlantic 10 is back as a Top Tier conference and is probably here to stay that way.

- The Atlantic Sun is the new poster boy for Conference suckiness. Time for the Play in Game, bitches.

Starting tomorrow. I'm going to be putting the standings for all of the Power and Major Conferences here. I acutally wanted 12 conferences, but I only have the BCS 6, Atlantic 10, Mountain West, Missouri Valley and WAC. What other two conferences does everyone want to see?

MAC and CUSA. For me at least.

Edited by Hawk 34

Guest Princess Leena

The SEC being rated that high isn't surprising... all the teams there did quite well in non-conference.

I'm surprised the MAC is in the Top 15. Except for UB and Ohio, and lot of the teams there struggled.

Don't diss the Atlantic Sun, and my beloved Fighting Camels. Plus, the winner has a good shot of not making the Play-in game. The MEAC and SWAC winners are the odds-on favorites.

The SEC will have ONE ranked team this week...Florida. I think they might end up getting a 1 seed in the tourney.

The Big East should be #1 in this. The conf. is just truly insane and ridiculous. I took a look at U of L's conf. schedule and it's just mindblowing. Nova twice, UConn twice, Cincy twice, Pitt upcoming, Cuse on the road, WVU on the road. Who did Pitino piss off?

Does the Big XII have any ranked teams this week? Texas?

I can't wait until I get back to the paper and get back to work this semester. I've got senority so I'm taking over that god damn men's basketball beat and I'm going to find out why they can't shoot. I don't care if Sampson freaks on me. He's called me "my man" before so he's usually pretty receptive to whatever I ask.

1 Big Ten 0.5960

2 ACC 0.5839

3 Big East 0.5787

4 SEC 0.5768

5 Missouri Valley 0.5662

6 Pac 10 0.5487

7 Mountain West 0.5240

8 Atlantic 10 0.5175

10 MAAC 0.5136

11 Big XII 0.5127

12 West Coast 0.5125

14 Mid-American 0.5085

15 Horizon League 0.5025

16 Sun Belt 0.4971

17 Southland 0.4835

18 Conference USA 0.4810

19 Big Sky 0.4770

20 Ohio Valley 0.4694

21 Patriot League 0.4672

22 Southern 0.4656

23 Big South 0.4621

24 Ivy League 0.4523

25 Big West 0.4424

26 Northeast 0.4411

27 America East 0.4379

28 Mid Continent 0.4354

29 MEAC 0.4353

30 Independent 0.4235

31 SWAC 0.4121

32 Atlantic Sun 0.4084

MAC and CUSA. For me at least.

MAC and CUSA seem the most logical. WCC could be considered as well.

Vandy has never won a game at Rupp. Never.... until last night. I don't want to get lumped in with all the doomer and gloomers, but at this point UK is a fucking bubble team.

The only bright spots were Randolph Morris looking like he wanted to play and Ravi Moss getting hot.

There were a few stand-out dark spots. Patrick Sparks further proved that he has no idea how to play basketball. Perry and Thomas got more playing time than they deserved. Nobody can rebound.

I have apparently been blessed with eternal patience, as I am not calling for Tubby's head yet. Three in a row may be my breaking point.

Alro, it CAN get worse. It's called jobbing to Bama at home without them having Chuck Davis. Can you imagine the assbeatings UK will take at FL, at Tenn, at LSU, at Miss St.?

I think UK will still stagger into the tourney as an 8/9 type seed. They'll put them in Duke's bracket in the neverending quest to have that matchup. And Duke would kill them by about 40.

Guest Princess Leena

You can be angrier than that.

OU causes me to shake my head too, though.

Well I'm going to be doing a lot of men's b-ball coverage this semester for the paper which means I need to force my self to not care about how they do. Although they are costing me a trip to the NCAA Tourney dammit.

Duke's the shit this year. I don't want to jinx them with any USC-type hyperbole, but they look like the best college basketball team I've ever seen. I've only followed college basketball for ten years, but still, his Duke team is the most dominant team I've seen over that time period. I could easily see them going undefeated this year.

Guest Princess Leena

Duke may go undefeated into March Madness... but, that's more a statement of how weak the ACC is this year. The SEC is getting shit on here... but, when an extremely young UNC team is clearly the 2nd best team in your conference, that ain't good.

I just wish the local team wouldn't suck so much.

Dan Monson's gotta be one of the worst coaches. He can't get his team ready to play, he doesn't make the necessary chances in the game. He can't recruit worth a shit.

The SEC is getting shit on here... but, when an extremely young UNC team is clearly the 2nd best team in your conference, that ain't good.

Considering that they got shelled by a no-talent USC team earlier this year, I think that NC State might be a tad better than UNC. After that, there's nothing even close.

Duke may go undefeated into March Madness... but, that's more a statement of how weak the ACC is this year. The SEC is getting shit on here... but, when an extremely young UNC team is clearly the 2nd best team in your conference, that ain't good.

You know guys, she has a point up to this point. Lets see here...

- Boston College has tanked up till now (No way they're going to defeat Duke in this state)

- Wake Forest is on one day, and off the next. (and wasn't on enough to beat Duke)

- UNC is young as hell and isn't getting past the second round of the Tournament, if it even gets past someone like a Bucknell or Manhattan, or the Valley/A10 Tournament Winner should the elite teams stumble in the Conference Tourney.

- NC State still is the second best team in the ACC, in my eyes. Yes, UNC upset them, but that's the same team that got drubbed by USC. If there's a rematch The Wolfpack will have its revenge in a gruesome manner.

As for the rest of the conference...

- Georgia Tech: Rebuliding, and is rigtfully Garbage.

- Miami: They're potentially monsters at home, and miserable on the road. That's not going to get it done.

- Virginia Tech: Not a good team, at all.

- Clemson: No Comment.

- Maryland: They need to stop playing to the level of their lower competition, cause they usually get beat by experience

- Virginia: Lost to Fordham, who was fucking horrible Outside of Conference... Draw your own conclusions.

- Florida State: Who Cares? Ever since missing the tournament in 2004 when it was but wrapped up for them, there has been a cloud of suck, over them.

Yeah, I think we may have a winner here, Leena. The ACC is down, and right now Duke has every chance of going undefeated until March. It's really bad when the best prospects for an upset as of 1.12.06 is a remerging Georgetown.

Guest Princess Leena

The SEC is getting shit on here... but, when an extremely young UNC team is clearly the 2nd best team in your conference, that ain't good.

Considering that they got shelled by a no-talent USC team earlier this year, I think that NC State might be a tad better than UNC. After that, there's nothing even close.

Until UNC beat them. Which may have been somewhat fluky since UNC shot quite well. So, I'll give NC State some credit.

I have a lot of doubts with the Wolfpack, though. No proven inside presence (at least defensively with Evtimov). Hodge was the only reason that team was decent last year. Except for GW and Alabama, they've basically feasted on cupcakes to get their record.

You know the ACC is in a major down year when Vitale isn't even mentioning them in the top conferences of the year! :P

What were his top conferences, out of curiosity? The way I see it this year, we have:

ACC: Way down, nobody's very good after Duke

Big XII: Way down, nobody's very good after Texas

C-USA: Way down, nobody's very good after Memphis

SEC: Way down, nobody's very good after Florida

Pac-Ten: Down, Washington and UCLA look decent, but after that, there's nobody.

Big East: Way way way up. Far and away the best conference in America.

Big Ten: Actually, they're having a pretty good year too. I almost forgot about them, but they look to be the only other top-level conference this year.

After the Big Ten and Big East though, I can't imagine any other major conference getting a positive review. If I was forced to pick a third best conference this year, I'd probably still go with the ACC. Duke's pretty damn good for a #1, and Wake, NC State, and UNC are all solid mid-level teams as well.

Iggy, you've got to be kidding me about Duke being the best team you've ever seen. The 1996 UK team would have made these guys look like bitches. I mean, can you imagine that 96 UK team going to the wire to beat FUCKING VIRGINIA TECH and needing a last second hail mary? Or beating Memphis by 3 points? UK in 96 would have beaten Va Tech by 35 points either home or away.

This Duke team isn't as good as even the following Duke teams: 1986 (they went about 37-3), 1991-92 with Laettner, Hill, Hurley, the 99 squad that lost to UConn, and the 2001 team that won it all. At the end of the day they still have only 2 real scoring options and someone will put a defensive stopper on Redick at some point, or just flat out goon him a la Carson Palmer.

I'm still holding out hope for a UNC victory over Duke in the game at the Smith Center. Maybe that's the Tarheel in me, but I truly believe it.

I'm just upset that I'm not in Chapel Hill anymore... I like this team almost as much as last years. The only difference is that last year victory was expected - this year it's much more rewarding.

I'm still holding out hope for a UNC victory over Duke in the game at the Smith Center. Maybe that's the Tarheel in me, but I truly believe it.

I'm just upset that I'm not in Chapel Hill anymore... I like this team almost as much as last years. The only difference is that last year victory was expected - this year it's much more rewarding.

Roy has to get a lot more credit for this year, considering how young the team is and how little experience the players on this team has. If they get to the Sweet 16, then it has to be great year for them. They'll be a monster the next couple of years if they don't have any defections to the draft.